Register

WiFi Hotspot connection dropping on JellyBean

This is a discussion on WiFi Hotspot connection dropping on JellyBean within the Rescue Squad forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Support Forum category; Hi I have a non-rooted Nexus running the OTA updated JellyBean 4.1.1 on a 3UK tariff which allows unlimited data and tethering. I have factory ...

Milky Way
    Member #

WiFi Hotspot connection dropping on JellyBean

Hi

I have a non-rooted Nexus running the OTA updated JellyBean 4.1.1 on a 3UK tariff which allows unlimited data and tethering. I have factory reset my phone but still have the issue.

What is happening is that when I activate my Portable WiFi Hotspot to allow me to stream video (e.g.Netflix) to my Asus TF101 Android tablet, the tablet connects correctly and the video works fine initially. After anything between 1 and 10 minutes the TF101 loses the WiFi connection and won't reconnect. If I look at the WiFi settings on the tablet, it reports Authentication Problem. If I then switch the Hotspot on the Nexus off and back on again the TF101 reconnects without intervention and will operate correctly for a similar period before losing the connection again. The problem occu7re even when I am not streaming video

I have tried looking at the wireless networks available using WiFi Analyzer and InSSIDer Apps and the TF101 can see a strong signal. It just refuses to reconnect to it.

I have also tried dropping to WPA and even to Open security on the Hotspot but still lose the connection after a few minutes.

This seems to be a JB issue as I was able to use the hotspot with no problemns for prolonged periods before the OTA update a couple of weeks back.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. # ADS
    Ads

Milky Way
    Member #
    I have the exact same problem. Although I've never tested wifi hotspot on ICS for prolonged periods, so I don't know how reliable it was back then. Now I'm using JB and using my Nexus as my sole internet source in my apartment and it's quite annoying to have to keep restarting the hotspot application (by turning it off and back on). Hope someone finds the solution to this soon ...

Milky Way
    Member #
    I have the exact same issue. I have never used the hotspot feature prior to the JellyBean update. I haven't had a chance to try ever since, I downloaded another app called FoxFi. I'll try and give that a try tonight...

*Edit* Nevermind it appears FOxFi doesn't work on JB yet.
    Last edited by Tensoneu; 08-28-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Remove Ads

Ads