Register

Stock apps shut down on their own

This is a discussion on Stock apps shut down on their own within the Rescue Squad forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Support Forum category; I have problems with a few standard Google apps on my Galaxy Nexus. -- Messages: I'm reading a conversation and push 'return' to go to ...

Milky Way
    Member #

Stock apps shut down on their own

I have problems with a few standard Google apps on my Galaxy Nexus.

-- Messages: I'm reading a conversation and push 'return' to go to the overview. I only see the overview 0.5sec and the app shuts down, returning to the home screen.
    -- Calendar: I go to a specific date and touch the screen to make a new appointment. I see the layout for 0.5sec and the app shuts down, returning to the home screen.
    -- Maps: I select 'route' and enter my starting point. When I enter the ending point, the app shuts down, returning to the home screen.

Eventually I'm able to schedule an appointment or get directions, but not without +10 failures first. Other stock Google apps work just fine, for as far as I can tell. Problems started with the last general ICS update (not by updating these specific apps). Question: is there a solution?

I thought about formatting to the original state, but then I realized Google probably would want to update again and these apps would just fail again...

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    You can first try going into settings > apps > all, and force stopping the problem apps and then clearing the cache for each of them. See if that resolves any of the issues.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Thank you for the quick response, but I'm afraid it didn't work. The Google search widget (top of every screen) appears to also shut down on its own whenever I try to type in something. I tried a normal reboot, but that, too, didn't do the trick.

Also, the problems I noted are very specific. Other functions of these apps work just fine!
    Last edited by Shynoh; 07-13-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Well, that is quite a few different issues to be having, so you may want to consider doing a factory reset. If you do, make sure to backup your photos, music, etc. and anything on your internal storage you want to keep to your computer. Also, make sure your contacts are backed up with Google or elsewhere.

You can first try a cache wipe by following the instructions below, except choose "wipe cache partition" rather than factory reset:

Alternate method
    1. Press and hold the Power button.
    2. Select Power off.
    3. Select OK.
    4. Press and hold the Volume keys+Power button simultaneously until bootloader mode (image of an Android with Start) appears then release.
    5. Select Recovery mode.
      Utilize the volume keys to cycle through the available options and the Power button to select.
      The device will restart in Recovery mode.
    6. From the Recovery mode screen, press and hold the Power button then press the Volume up (+) key.
    7. Select wipe data/factory reset.
    8. Select Yes -- delete all user data.
      Allow several minutes for the factory data reset process to complete.
    9. Select reboot system now.
      Allow several minutes for the reboot process to complete.
    10. If necessary, refer to Initial Activation and Setup.

Milky Way
    Member #
    First of all, thank you, this worked. But isn't it much easier to reset to factory settings via settings? There's an option for that under 'personal'.
    Secondly, I think I might know what went wrong. After the reset, I saw several apps in my app-screen that I previously turned off permanently because I didn't use them (like Talk, Voice Dialer, Messenger, ...). I now remember that there actually is a warning for messing with other apps when turning these off permanently. I suspect the problem can be found there.

Thank you.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    You're welcome and I'm glad that resolved your issues. Yes, a factory reset would be easier from settings, but I posted that method so you could try a cache wipe before wiping your data. And yeah, disabling some stock apps can cause issues, so I'd be careful what you disable...I believe disabling Talk, for instance, is known to cause issues, IIRC.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

Milky Way
    Member #
    The problems came back a few minutes ago... New hypothesis: since I re-installed all the apps I owned before I had reset my phone, it might be one of those apps causing trouble. I have not turned off any apps permanently, like I did last time. I guess I now am going to turn off all of those apps and activate them one by one, seeing if the problems go away at first and at which point they reappear. I'll report the app causing trouble, if this plan works.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Found it. In the developer options, I limited the amount of background processes to zero, to save energy. Just a matter of figuring out what maximum is the right one and problem solved

EDIT: max. one background process already is enough.
    Last edited by Shynoh; 07-15-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Remove Ads

Ads