Register

Can't wipe my data with CWM!? (Annoying! :P)

This is a discussion on Can't wipe my data with CWM!? (Annoying! :P) within the Rescue Squad forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Support Forum category; Hi folks First of all I want to excuse if I do some mistakes in writing... English is not my mother language. ;-) And I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Milky Way
    Member #

Can't wipe my data with CWM!? (Annoying! :P)

Hi folks
    First of all I want to excuse if I do some mistakes in writing... English is not my mother language. ;-)
    And I hope, this question hasn't been answered over and over! But I'm pretty sure, because I havent found anyone with the same problem on the net...

Some Time ago I wanted to gain full power over my Galaxy Nexus and some extra features (and Android 4.0.4)... I made all that stuff with the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit (thanks to the developer of this, just awesome!). And I flashed AOKP Build 30 (or something).
    Now to the real problem. I wanted to flash the new Milestone 5 AOKP, because I was (and am) experiencing some performance issues. Therefore I made a backup and then a data wipe/factory reset in CWM Recovery
    v5.5.0.2 (still the same as installed by the Toolkit). And then flashed AOKP Milestone 5 and directly afterwards (without restarting the phone) gapps.
    Milestone 5 is running and gapps were installed successfully.

But all my data (folders from apps from the last build), pictures and music is still on the file system! It hasn't been wiped although CWM did not mention any problems. At the same time, all the apps are gone...
    This is really strange and somehow annoying because I wanted a fully fresh and basic beginning, especially to avoid getting these performance issues again. (and I get them again, with the microbes life-wallpaper)

My specs again:
    Rom: AOKP Milestone 5
    Recovery: CWM Recovery
    v5.5.0.2
    Problem: Cannot wipe data

I hope you guys can help me out and thanks in advance! =)

greets from europe ;-)
    Michel

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Welcome to GNF!! Everything on your virtual SD card (such as music & pictures) will be preserved even when you wipe data in Clockwork recovery. That's the way it's supposed to work.

Tappity-tap'd

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    856 times
    Welcome. If I'm reading this right, then Mujibar is correct. Anything that was on your sd before you wipe will still be there after you wipe.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

Milky Way
    Member #
    Whooop, how embarrassing! I'm sorry for having stolen your time! But thank you for your help!
    ...But then there is an other question.
    Which folders can I just delete without destroying my system? ...or will android produce them again right away again anyway? (what a sentence :P)
    and thanks for your kind welcoming! This must be a great Forum! =)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1124 times
    Welcome to the forum

Tapped by Ray

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    Quote Originally Posted by the_best_galaxy View Post
    Whooop, how embarrassing! I'm sorry for having stolen your time! But thank you for your help!
    ...But then there is an other question.
    Which folders can I just delete without destroying my system? ...or will android produce them again right away again anyway? (what a sentence :P)
    and thanks for your kind welcoming! This must be a great Forum! =)
    Welcome to the forum and do not worry about asking questions!! I can guarantee that your question and the answers provided helped to inform many other people as to exactly how CWM wipe works.

The only folders I ever delete are the ones created by apps I've removed. I only delete folders on the "sdcard" never in other areas.

Good luck.
    Baton Rouge, LA

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    ^^ What Fisher said. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by the_best_galaxy View Post
    This must be a great Forum! =)
    You are 100% correct!

Milky Way
    Member #
    hey guys,

i'm interested in getting the galaxy nexus and lately i've been reading about the recovery and the "sd card". my question fits nicely into this thread so i did not want to open a seperate one.

here's what i'd like to know:

i read that
    1.) apps are installed on the "sdcard" so there is no limit in storage space for apps (which leaves about 13gb with the 16gb model).
    2.) wiping in cwm does not delete anything from the "sdcard"

this would lead to the conclusion that after wiping in cwm all the apps are still installed (or at least present on the sdcard without being installed anymore) because they were installed on the sdcard and the sdcard does not get wiped, only the internal storage.

i don't really get how apps are wiped (completely) after cwm wipe if they are actually installed on the sdcard (which is not wiped). this does not make sense to me. it's contradicting.

i'd aprecciate any info!

thx,
    v.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1124 times
    Hey as far as when I flash different roms some roms put my apps back on the phone(no I don't use tb) and some roms don't but if I had it downloaded to my phone or tablet it in my play store under l apps so even if it doesn't put them back on I can always get them by going to the play store and dl which ever I need... And if your lime me I have over 100 apps

Tapped by Ray

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    It all depends on what you are wiping in CWM recovery. When installing roms you generally wipe (system) data, cache, and Dalvik cache. Your sd card is not touched unless you wipe sdcard.

Before you flash anything can you get back to stock? How to get back to stock using Odin

Have you backed up your files and pictures? I see too many desperate cries for help recovering deleted priceless pictures with no solution.

Need to hard reset? How to Hard Reset-Factory Data Reset.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads