Register

Help - Recover Data when android wont boot

This is a discussion on Help - Recover Data when android wont boot within the Rescue Squad forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Support Forum category; Hello Everyone, My stock Bell Galaxy Nexus (tuna,maguro,I9250UGKL1) wont boot up fully. Its still running 4.0.1 as the carrier hasn't pushed any newer updates. The ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help - Recover Data when android wont boot

Milky Way
    Member #

Angry Help - Recover Data when android wont boot

Hello Everyone,

My stock Bell Galaxy Nexus (tuna,maguro,I9250UGKL1) wont boot up fully. Its still running 4.0.1 as the carrier hasn't pushed any newer updates.

The device was working normally and then all of a sudden, it rebooted on its own. Initially it would boot fully, but immediately show some errors. After trying to get it to proceed, it would reboot again. Now it just stays in the booting animation forever.

I don't want to do a factory restore since I have a large number of pictures on the device of my children..

I did some searching on the internet to see what to do about this, and found out how to enter the fastboot/recovery and odin (Downloading) mode.. Was hoping that one of those would allow me to grab files or at leased an image of the data partition.

I have downloaded Odin3 v1.85 as well as a Galaxy Nexus Toolkit V6.0 but its not clear to me how I can recover the data off the device. Also looked into the ADB mode, but I dont think I can enter this unless my OS will boot.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can backup my data without a fully booting android device?

Thanks,
    Brendan

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    327 times
    I would try booting it into Recovery and wiping the cache partition to see if that will allow it to boot up. Hold both volume buttons when powering the phone on to get into bootloader mode, then use volume rocker to navigate to Recovery and press Power to select. You may get an exclamation point and open belly Android here. If so, press the 3 buttons again and it should go on into Recovery. Use the Power button to select "wipe cache partition". If that doesn't let it boot I'm not sure what you can do. Odin won't do anything for you here, it's for pushing files to the phone. ADB possibly but I'm not sure you can get it set up correctly when the phone won't boot up.
    -Stephen
    Need Help? Don't panic (yet) Call the Rescue Squad!

"On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs"

Milky Way
    Member #
    Hello!

Thank you for your response. I did try the delete cache partition option and this did not help.
    I know that the galaxy has a non-removable storage device.. but can it be removed somehow and put into a adapter of sorts. Did you think that it is soldered on?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Brendan

Milky Way
    Member #
    So I ended up doing the factory restore.. lost all the data but at leased by phone works again. thanks.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    You can root it and use an app called hexamob recovery to recover some if not most data.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Ok thanks.. I just downloaded that app and yes, looks like I will have to Root the phone. Does Rooting also require unlock?
    I opened up Galaxy Nexus Toolkit 6.0 and see those functions. Is this safe to do?

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Yes you must unlock first then root. I used Wug's Toolkit to do all of that. Worked quite easily. It will wipe your device again which is fine since you probably have nothing on there yet.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Twitter
    _B0BB0_

Milky Way
    Member #
    I unlocked and rooted the phone. Installed the hexamob software, but it does not see any devices. Maybe it does not support internal memory devices and just SD? I have emailed the developer. thanks.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    His recent 3.0 update showed support for gnex and internal memory. I've luckily never had to try it but I have it just in case. Let us know what he says.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads