Register

Camera won't open, constantly force closes

This is a discussion on Camera won't open, constantly force closes within the Rescue Squad forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Support Forum category; I have a rooted CDMA nexus. My camera was working until about two days ago. I noticed that it was not working when I flashed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Milky Way
    Member #

Camera won't open, constantly force closes

I have a rooted CDMA nexus. My camera was working until about two days ago. I noticed that it was not working when I flashed axiom crossbreed version 2. I flashed t version 3 after wiping data, cache, formatting system, and wiping dalvik. Even after a reboot and running fix permissions in clockwork, it doesn't open. When I click on camera, the screen stays dark above the navigation bar and the force close window briefly flashes and it goes back to my home screen. I don't even get to hit ok to close the camera. I have tried to push two different camera apps to the system with root explorer and they don't work either. I then went back into recovery (unstable apps clockwork touch recovery) and restored a nandroid from March 4 (AOKP 27) when I believe the camera worked. I wiped data, cache, dalvik, and formatted boot before the restore. The camera still force closes. I also get messages that Google Talk has stopped working. I have had the 4.04 radio and bootloader on my phone for at least two weeks now.

My phone is not overclocked or currently undervolted. Any suggestions? Do I need to factory reset and try going back to stock?

What other information do you need about my phone? Thank you for your help.

Edit: I have also tried to use camerafx and a scanning app to see if they could access the camera and they failed to operate as well.

Second edit: my camera now works after having done a battery pull. I think the issue must have come when after flashing a ROM, the screen colors were very dark, so I pulled the battery to get the colors back. That initial battery pull must have knocked the camera out, so like cartoon rules with head injuries, a second battery pull apparently did the trick.

I'm glad because I thought I was going to have to get a warranty replacement phone.
    Last edited by Mohawk3; 03-09-2012 at 12:12 AM. Reason: additional info

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Liked
    260 times
    You happen to be using Titanium Backup to restore?

Milky Way
    Member #
    I have both used it and not used it to restore apps with flashing. The only system data I sometimes restore is text messaging. TB has not caused an issue previously as I have flashed my phone several times. The camera just stopped working in the last two days and the same with Google Talk. I have never restored Google Talk or the camera. Google Talk has a message at each boot that says this program has unexpectedly stopped without me even trying to start Google Talk.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    First let's try clearing your camera settings. Settings > Apps > All > Camera > Force stop > OK > Clear data > OK

Then see if it works. If it's still broken, make a NANDroid backup, wipe /data, and see if it works. That will help narrow down the possible causes.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Thank you for being helpful. I should have mentioned that I tried those things and they didn't work, but after reading a post on another forum about camera different than mine I tried a battery pull and that actually did the trick. My camera is working again.

I don't need anymore help with this issue currently.

Milky Way
    Member #
    I am having the same issue with the camera. The phone is only 2 months old and has consistently had problems with the camera. It works approx. 90% of the time and I have turned on and off phone, removed battery, and cleared data from the camera settings. I am wondering if my phone is defective or if this is a software issue since it acts buggy with other apps/functions. The default camera app constantly forces closed and other camera apps have a black screen when I try to use them. Any suggestions?

Vega
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Try camera360 or ics camera.. both excellent.

Sent from my GNex via Hit'N'Yak

Unlocked - Rooted GSM GNex
    JellyBelly v3-4.1.1
    Franco's Kernel Nightly #217 512GPU
    Videotron
    iPeckWorks©
    OS X 10.7.3

Milky Way
    Member #
    I have tried camera360, Fxcamera, roidizer, retro camera, and vignette and the screen is black once the application is opened.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    Anyone try reboot then from lock screen go to camera app then exit?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Before you flash anything can you get back to stock? How to get back to stock using Odin

Have you backed up your files and pictures? I see too many desperate cries for help recovering deleted priceless pictures with no solution.

Need to hard reset? How to Hard Reset-Factory Data Reset.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_gyver View Post
    Anyone try reboot then from lock screen go to camera app then exit?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Yes, turning it on and off and removing the battery rarely solves the problem. Even though it seems like a software issue I fear my phone may be defective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads