Register

Close-Minded People!

This is a discussion on Close-Minded People! within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Originally Posted by Mujibar It's not fragmented by design. It's fragmented by a free market. You also have an OS manufacturer who doesn't want to ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Close-Minded People!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mujibar View Post
    It's not fragmented by design. It's fragmented by a free market. You also have an OS manufacturer who doesn't want to dictate what hardware manufacturers do. It's the same reason we have firmware overlays like Blur, Sense, and TouchWiz.

Tappity-tap'd
    Saying "free market" is just another way of saying "fragmented" .....and it's these "firmware overlays" that are the BIG reason for the fragmentation. They turn android into something OTHER than Android. It's like Linux...it's open source & look at all the distros available because of it. YES the core is still Linux...but so is Mac & Windows...they both were born from Linux. They just made a "firmware overlay" to make it more palatable to the average user (of course they changed the coding quite a bit over the years too)...

So thanks for proving my original point!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mujibar View Post
    It's not fragmented by design. It's fragmented by a free market. You also have an OS manufacturer who doesn't want to dictate what hardware manufacturers do. It's the same reason we have firmware overlays like Blur, Sense, and TouchWiz.

Tappity-tap'd
    Big +1 to that Muji. After owning iPads (yes plural) and the kindle fire, I have gone back to the standard android tablets for this reason. I really like touchwiz on the latest GTab. It was a great way to customize honeycomb. But I also like that I can get the transformer and run pure ICS. And just playing around in the store with a Galaxy Note, I like the way they've customized it. You just don't get that with the other tablet and phone makers, and to me it's what makes android more enjoyable.
    Moto Droid | Fascinate | GTab | Charge | GNex | Asus TF201 ...
    Humorist, gadget geek, and lover of all things bacon.

Ignore my screen name, call me Jeff!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    214 times
    Twitter
    popcenator
    Sounds to me like its the manufacturer who's fragmented. Not android. You say Apple has one manufacturer yet the devices are just as spread as far as OS versions go, if not more. This means that its all up to Apple to get the devices up to date. Google updates the OS, but its up to Verizon and the manufacturer to bring it to the phone.

on the move..
    jdpeters79 likes this.

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Quote Originally Posted by popcenator View Post
    Sounds to me like its the manufacturer who's fragmented. Not android. You say Apple has one manufacturer yet the devices are just as spread as far as OS versions go, if not more. This means that its all up to Apple to get the devices up to date. Google updates the OS, but its up to Verizon and the manufacturer to bring it to the phone.

on the move..
    THANK YOU!

This equals FRAGMENTATION!!!!!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    *blinks... tries to remember the original purpose of the thread... goes back to eating bacon*

Last edited by jdpeters79; 06-03-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Moto Droid | Fascinate | GTab | Charge | GNex | Asus TF201 ...
    Humorist, gadget geek, and lover of all things bacon.

Ignore my screen name, call me Jeff!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpeters79 View Post
    *blinks... tries to remember the original purpose of the thread... goes back to eating bacon*

Actually right on track but thanks for caring

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    214 times
    Twitter
    popcenator
    Yes, but it sounds like you're accusing Android the OS of being the reason..when its the manufacturer who is to blame.

on the move..
    fish1552 likes this.

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Quote Originally Posted by popcenator View Post
    Yes, but it sounds like you're accusing Android the OS of being the reason..when its the manufacturer who is to blame.

on the move..
    Well you can't blame an "object" of anything...All I said was that Android was FRAGMENTED...and I also stated that the manufacturers AND Google were to blame. The manufacturers because of the "firmware overlays" and Google for not putting SOME regulations on hardware/ & which version of Android to use. Having SOME guidelines won't make Android a CLOSED system...but it WILL unify the OS a bit. Google phones are the BEST example. They run as smooth as can be on Android (no more issues than iOS on an iPhone anyway)...look at all the forums with phones that manufacturers try to "customize"....those forums are FULL of problems. Yet come to this forum the number of issues are MUCH less...again not PERFECT but pure Android runs great on a phone designed by Google...just like iOS runs great on a phone designed by Apple.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1124 times
    Either apple or android nothing is perfect somebody will ALWAYS complain..

Tapped on Ray's xoom

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    OK, we're done here. Anybody who wants to start a "discussion" thread will keep it civil. Next time, infractions *will* be handed out. Clear?

Tappity-tap'd

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Ads