Register

Close-Minded People!

This is a discussion on Close-Minded People! within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Originally Posted by mikespe I never said anything about it being rude or it being a flame war. Just the mentality that "it'll never happen" ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Close-Minded People!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    538 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Quote Originally Posted by mikespe View Post
    I never said anything about it being rude or it being a flame war. Just the mentality that "it'll never happen" or "I despise apple/android" attitude. Instead maybe start using your imagination & think of all the possibilities. Apple is an "inbred system"...they have FULL control of their devices...which of course DOES have some advantages. But it's BIGGEST disadvantage is NOT allowing a third party take a crack at developing something different & unique. Let's face it...Steve Jobs WAS the brains of APPLE. As time passes, the effects of his imagination will wear off. Jobs was VERY innovative & it is a HUGE loss to Apple!
    No I understand what you meant. I just expected to see a LOT more animosity is all. Maybe I was just expecting it because of all the iFans I've seen post stuff. And while each OS has their rabid fans too, the majority of the others are a lot more open minded. I see a great deal (not all because we have quite a few on staff at FF and lots of members on many forums) of iPhone/iPad fans who I imagine sitting around this big golden iPhone with incense burning chanting and bowing to it.

I think it would be great to boot up all 4 OSes on my Xoom. Just not on an iPad because I really don't want to give them money while their lawyers run the company.

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    Good thread Mike...I knew nothing about rooting before the GNEX, but poking around, reading, research, fascination of tweaking and personalizing is my personality. I built all the pc's that I own because I'm the 'what's inside' kind of guy. That is what gets me going. The closed systems are great for those that don't have the tinker mentallity, which is perfectly fine...for them. But closed minded people might be a little harsh. My wife uses an iPhone and the iPad, and I certainly am not calling that lovely Lady close-Minded! HAHA. Options are what make the world go round, and I'm glad I'm one of those that tinker.
    sgthwjack likes this.
    PowurPlayr
    Storm>DX>Galaxy Nexus>N7!
    Sláinte!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Quote Originally Posted by powurplayr View Post
    Good thread Mike...I knew nothing about rooting before the GNEX, but poking around, reading, research, fascination of tweaking and personalizing is my personality. I built all the pc's that I own because I'm the 'what's inside' kind of guy. That is what gets me going. The closed systems are great for those that don't have the tinker mentallity, which is perfectly fine...for them. But closed minded people might be a little harsh. My wife uses an iPhone and the iPad, and I certainly am not calling that lovely Lady close-Minded! HAHA. Options are what make the world go round, and I'm glad I'm one of those that tinker.
    Oh I'm not calling ALL Apple users closed minded. Like I said I own an iPad 2 and I love it. But it is VERY limited in MANY ways...like just trying to transfer files to it. Android...just plug it in to a PC & drag & drop...But Android is TOO fragmented making it unstable at times. I said it before Google should just pick 5-6 manufacturers to make Android devices. This way it's NOT closed but there will be SOME control. There are too many no-named companies making Android devices which is causing issues.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    538 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    But Android is TOO fragmented making it unstable at times.
    I feel fragmented is a word often used by people in OS debates a little too quickly. Fragmentation is a problem that Apple has more so than Google. But people are often unaware of it.

You get half a "like" for the beginning of your post though.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fish1552 View Post
    I feel fragmented is a word often used by people in OS debates a little too quickly.
    ^^ This ^^

Tappity-tap'd

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    But Android is TOO fragmented making it unstable at times. I said it before Google should just pick 5-6 manufacturers to make Android devices. This way it's NOT closed but there will be SOME control. There are too many no-named companies making Android devices which is causing issues.[/QUOTE]

I agreee 100%! No freedom like there is with Android devices. And the no-named companies certainly require 'us' to be on our toes in the screening process...But, that being said, there is no way I could be satisfied using only what the ios 'tells' me I can use!

"My wife uses an iPhone and the iPad, and I certainly am not calling that lovely Lady close-Minded! HAHA."

Although I do catch Her from time to time enviously peeking over to see the Android freedom at work
    sgthwjack likes this.
    PowurPlayr
    Storm>DX>Galaxy Nexus>N7!
    Sláinte!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fish1552 View Post
    I feel fragmented is a word often used by people in OS debates a little too quickly. Fragmentation is a problem that Apple has more so than Google. But people are often unaware of it.

You get half a "like" for the beginning of your post though.
    How do you figure? Apple has ONE manufacturer with ONE OS...android has 50+ manufactures AND several versions of their OS they need to maintain (Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb & ICS...)

Zero Likes until explained.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    538 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    How do you figure? Apple has ONE manufacturer with ONE OS...android has 50+ manufactures AND several versions of their OS they need to maintain (Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb & ICS...)

Zero Likes until explained.
    I was SOOO hoping you would say that.

So every iPhone has the same 5.x on it now? NOT! Look at every iPhone and every iPad in the wild and you will see iOS versions dating all the way back to 3.x.
    Here is a link that discusses app crashes per OS during December of 2011. The second graphic down shows you the versions of both iOS and Android running on devices. The third graphic is strictly iOS devices. Now, you can see that Android had 17 different versions (from 1.6 up to 4.0.1) while iOS had 22 (from 3.0.3 to 5.1). Another further down shows Android with 33 and iOS with 23 (not sure why there is a difference between the 2). Sure, people like to THINK iOS is all 100% up to date on the latest and greatest, but not everyone gets the latest iPhone. Some people are actually still on old ones and have not updated to whatever version their device can run.

Let's face it. When a user is required to tether their phone to a computer to get and install an update, they are less likely to do so. And some people just cannot be bothered to update things - and that applies to both Android and Apple. So it's not all about being able to run the latest and greatest, but when users are thrown into the equation, the best laid plans can go straight out the window.

The mindset out there is the Apple is 100% fragmentation free, but that is a myth that either the media or Apple keep perpetuating as a selling point for Apple. If people OPEN their minds and accept the truth, they would see otherwise.

Now, the link provided is discussing the frequency of apps crashing on devices during that time. But when you think that in order for an app to crash on that OS, it has to be RUNNING it, it does a decent job of showing the information without the bias of someone writing about one OS or the other having fragmentation.
    Last edited by fish1552; 06-03-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    Mujibar and jdpeters79 like this.

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Yes I know there are different versions of iOS BUT they are ALSO on OLDER devices AND in some cases the CHOICE of the device owner as to whether they want to update or not. There are NEW Android devices that are being released with FROYO and GINGERBREAD....this is not Android's fault but the manufacturers for not producing devices with the latest hardware AND Google's fault for not regulating it. Apple is in charge of ALL their devices. They provide updates to ALL their devices that can handle the latest update AND release new devices with the LATEST OS available at that time...

There are people who have say...the Motorola Bionic who are STILL on Gingerbread yet the hardware CAN handle the OS...so YES Android IS fragmented by DESIGN...

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    It's not fragmented by design. It's fragmented by a free market. You also have an OS manufacturer who doesn't want to dictate what hardware manufacturers do. It's the same reason we have firmware overlays like Blur, Sense, and TouchWiz.

Tappity-tap'd

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads