Register

Whole home surge protection

This is a discussion on Whole home surge protection within the Off-Topic Forum forums, part of the Off-Topic Area category; Anyone retro fitted one to their panel? With so many household appliances/led lighting with delicate circuitry now,grunty protection surely is a must these days. I ...

Milky Way
    Member #

Whole home surge protection

Anyone retro fitted one to their panel?
    With so many household appliances/led lighting with delicate circuitry now,grunty protection surely is a must these days.
    I found on Amazon a model made by Schneider called a HEPD80.(HomeElectronicsProtectionDevice80Kv)
    Made is the USA but it can cope with the 110-240v range.
    This unit is installed/wired from the outside of the electrical panel,with a couple of green leds.If a led is flashing,a surge has occurred.
    This unit is feed thru a couple of additional circuit breakers,these are the replaceable items should the surge be a biggie.
    About US$100 for the HEPD80,then the breakers are extra.
    The power supply in my town has been rubbish this winter,
    Any sparkies out there care to comment?
    Maybe NZ source gear that is appropriate for this task.
    While researching this topic online,I found that the average amount of Amps discharged by a lighting strike is 20,000 Amps.May have been volts.Still heaps though.
    So a 80Kv HEPD unit should be plenty,right?
    Cheerz

2. # ADS
    Ads

Milky Way
    Member #
    It's my understanding surge protection is for the occasional spikes and short and partial short circuits...not a lightening strike. With lightening the energy is so high it will jump across most stuff and still screw it.. which is why buildings/ towers etc have huge spike aerials to ground.Also consider...having a master like that without having each circuit protected individually, trip the master and everything goes down...sort of like tripping the switch on the power pole on the street, the whole house is down. Just like the protection of each fuse rated its own use, anything behind that should also be rated correctly...And if have fuses after, the trips react in only a few milisecs, way faster than a fuse... so it may trip and take down all circuits before the local fuse melts. It's because of these sorts of things we have tradesmen who hopefully know their stuff. Contact this company https://www.streamer-electric.com

Remove Ads

Ads