Rooted my GNex last night
I've been a silent lurker in this site. Gathering as much info.as I can about my GNex gsm version. At first I was just interested about when the OTA JB update was going to happen. Using my gnex stock in the Philippines where the unit was never launched by samsung, I was anticipating for any news on the update. I eventually got my JB last month OTA and I reported it here immediately. But after several weeks of using the stock JB I got bored and felt like a wimp not being able to catch up with the rooted GNex users.
Last night, out of sheer curiosity, I downloaded the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit v. 7.8 and proceeded with unlocking my phone then rooting it. The guides in this forum were very helpful in understanding the procedures for rooting and the toolkit made it a breeze. With ADB and fastboot functions under one GUI, rooting proved to be a piece of cake.
This is not my first time, though. I had rooted and changed the ROM on my Galaxy Pocket phone sometime back. Rooting has made both phones faster and easier to manage.
Flashing new ROMs on my GNex will be my next project. I would appreciate any advice from the experts how I can proceed from here. Although I'd love to.experiment, I'm also using my GNex for important communications so I can't afford to loose.data.
10-01-2012 07:43 AM
Congrats on getting your phone rooted!!!! Seems like you have some idea on what you are doing. Flashing custom roms is fun and you can really test out you device. Few things I would suggest is:
1) Make back up (nandroid) of your OS. If anything goes wrong you can always revert back to it.
2) Back up all important data (priceless pictures, music, important data etc).
3) Make sure you know how to get back to a safe state (whether stock or a nandroid backup).
4) Follow all directions that developer states for flashing (data & cache wipes).
5) Make sure you have clean downloads (you can use md5 checks to make sure they are clean).
6) Keep you downloaded files well organized so you may have easier access in time of need.
7) Ask questions when you are unsure about something. Most developers are more than happy to respond.
Have you backed up your files and pictures? I see too many desperate cries for help recovering deleted priceless pictures with no solution.
Need to hard reset? How to Hard Reset-Factory Data Reset.
Hello and welcome to the forum! Congrats on the root!!
Paul has ya headed in the right direction!
Re: Rooted my GNex last night
Yeah adb and roolkit make thing so easy. Im jealous of u for getting into things when they're so easy lol
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2