Register

Brand new galaxy nexus... in Beijing

This is a discussion on Brand new galaxy nexus... in Beijing within the New Member Introduction & Site Assistance forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Yes, I'm quite interested with how your phone will be different. GSM, or CDMA, etc. ~Tapatalk'd from my Galaxy Nexus......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Yes, I'm quite interested with how your phone will be different. GSM, or CDMA, etc.

~Tapatalk'd from my Galaxy Nexus...

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    585 times
    Twitter
    thephantom_dra
    airdogg,

forgot to mention that i'm also from asia with a gsm nexus. what particular gapps do you wish to use? i don't use all but for the ones i use, gtalk, google reader, chrome beta, google+, gmail, drive are all working.
    LG Nexus 5 / Nokia Lumia 1520 / Asus Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by @rbiter View Post
    teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. teach a man to fastboot, and you create competency.

Milky Way
    Member #
    hey all,
    Thanks for the warm welcome
    I just opened the box this morning. Its a GSM galaxy nexus and it came with a new version of ximi which is a MIUI rom. (still getting used to the terminology).
    Some of my colleagues who use android phones prefer this rom because it has some nice china-specific features, but I decided to install 4.0.4 OTA IMM76I.

thephantom,
    I will have to learn a little about what gapps I am gonna use but for now the ones you mentioned sound good. How about google play?
    I have heard that this app and others detect the sim so people often have to swap out their china mobile sim when installing certain apps.
    Also I've noticed that certain google apps are blocked out here including but not limited to blogger, youtube, some aspects of docs etc.
    My plan was to use a vpn but I'm not sure how much this will slow stuff down.

I'll keep you guys posted as I learn myself!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    585 times
    Twitter
    thephantom_dra
    I cannot comment on the behavior of google play with a china sim as i'm not from there but i'm inclined to believe it's not the sim but the internet ip address that's being read. This way, using wifi or data prevents connection since the ip is from china. You could do a workaround through vpn but I don't know the process as i've never tried it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    LG Nexus 5 / Nokia Lumia 1520 / Asus Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by @rbiter View Post
    teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. teach a man to fastboot, and you create competency.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Correct,

I have since been connecting through my vpn and all google apps and services work so far, while using the china mobile sim.
    Without the vpn some apps don't work (like youtube) many apps cannot even be found in the market place, like blogger, reader, voice, google play books, etc. And some of these weren't available unless I was specifically using the US vpn server.
    the largest limitation currently is google voice, which doesn't like my chinese phone number and won't forward calls. Text messages and voice messages work fine however.

Hey another question:
    When I put my phone next to my wallet, it makes a noice
    ha
    It seems to react to the RFID chips in my various access cards, subway card, room key etc.
    Does anyone know what this is for and why it does this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads