Register

How to Make Font Packs that Work with ICS (including bold and bold-italic variants)

This is a discussion on How to Make Font Packs that Work with ICS (including bold and bold-italic variants) within the Galaxy Nexus Themes forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Development category; Anyone who's tried to change the fonts on their Nexus has realized that not all fonts work and even when they do the don't change ...

Vega
    Member #
    Liked
    67 times

How to Make Font Packs that Work with ICS (including bold and bold-italic variants)

Anyone who's tried to change the fonts on their Nexus has realized that not all fonts work and even when they do the don't change everything they're supposed to. ThugEsquire created a great tutorial over at RootzWiki on how to create font packs which will actually replace the Roboto font.

Below is a repost of his original thread which can be found here: Original RootzWiki Thread.

If you're into theming, you may have replaced Roboto-Regular with a different font, but noticed that Gingerbread-friendly font packs that replace Roboto-Bold.ttf usually cause ICS to bootloop. Tools like Font Installer and FontChanger are cool (props to the devs) but kind of a drag because they don't replace the Bold/Italic/Bold Italic versions of the fonts. The reason is because ICS pays attention to the font metadata in ways that Gingerbread does not, and many fonts don't have the correct weight/classification/family metadata.

To make a working font pack you must edit the metadata of the Bold, Italic and Bold-Italic fonts themselves to reflect their proper weight and design. Note: these instructions are for making font packs for AOSP builds of ICS. These are not for MIUI!

Disclaimer: follow these instructions and use my font packs at your own risk! I've tested them myself, but I cannot be held responsible for anything that happens as a result of following these instructions or flashing my font packs! Do you feel me?

I suppose you could use a different app, but I used FontCreator 6.0 Pro, so this guide is for FC6P.

• Open the font in FC6P.
    • Go to Format > Settings.
    • Under the Classification tab, make sure the weight is correct (Normal (Regular) for Regular and Italic, Bold for Bold and Bold Italic).
    • Make sure the Font Design (Windows) and Mac Style are correct (Regular for Regular, Bold for Bold, Italic for Italic, Bold AND Italic for Bold Italic).
    • Click OK.
    • Go to Format > Naming.
    • Make sure all the fonts you want to use use the same Font Family ("Roboto" in the case of Roboto, etc).
    • Make sure Full Font Name and Postscript Name are correct ("Roboto Regular" for Roboto Regular, etc., "Roboto-Regular" etc. for Postscript Name)
    • Click OK.
    • PRO TIP: While you're here, clear out the glyph for .notdef. It's ugly and will show up in your launcher and potentially other places if the name of your homescreen item gets abbreviated.
    • Save the font.
    • Once you've done the above for each font, add the fonts to a folder called "fonts" and put that inside a folder called "system".
    • Put the "system" folder in the same folder as your META-INF folder (use an updater-script made for ICS).
    • Zip up the META-INF and system folders into a normal ZIP file.
    • Flash the zip using ClockworkMod or ROM Manager.
    • Profit!
    And here is one font pack to get you started, my first, Nokia Pure, with the custom bold/italic/bold italic fonts I made myself: Now I'm going to get some sleep. UPDATED ZIP 2/4/2012:

FontPack-ICS-NokiaPure-ThugEsquire.zip
    There are several font packs already posted in the original thread but I've done several myself and am willing to take some requests. For requests, please post a link to the font so I can find it.

Here's a link to several Font Packs that have already been created also: Font Packs Folder

Please keep in mind when requesting anything that I've recently started doing this myself. Certain fonts are only available in a "Regular" format and have to be converted to Bold, Italic and BoldItalic. That being said, I'm still learning to perfect that conversion to get the font to look as best as I can.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by chucklehead; 03-26-2012 at 11:32 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Vega
    Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    Reserved

Remove Ads

Ads