Register

Anyone wanna explain the difference?

This is a discussion on Anyone wanna explain the difference? within the Galaxy Nexus ROMs [LTE/CDMA] forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Development category; Seeing these roms and i'm trying to figure out the difference between the 3 besides trying them all out. [CM9][Skankwich][Kang][12302011-0840] Go ninja, go ninja, go! ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone wanna explain the difference?

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Anyone wanna explain the difference?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    Twitter
    pternahan
    I haven't run any of these, I was considering AOKP next, but I'm still quite happy with Axiom 2.2 atm

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I was going to make the jump to the CM9 Kang.. but im thinking Im going to wait till official cm9 makes way.
    Then again... gotta love nandroid backups.
    I think I heard that one of those three is now listed as unstable?
    Impulse89
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Xoom : Tiamat 2.1
    Motorola Droid 1 : MIUI

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    Twitter
    pternahan
    AOKP has a Milestone release listed as stable and another version that's considered as a nightly with possible bugs.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by psychotic_penguin View Post
    AOKP has a Milestone release listed as stable and another version that's considered as a nightly with possible bugs.
    I'm running the Milestone along with the franco.Kernel. It's pretty smooth. I know nothing about developing but the phone runs very nice.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    If running Milestone DONOT enable Power Saver. You will loose data if the sync option is enabled. Otherwise its an amazing ROM. I am running build 11 of it with stock kernel and its my daily driver. Most other ROMs are also source with select goodies. Most of which are kanged from the CM source tree. CM = Cyanogen Mod which is a tteam that releases some of the best ROMs.
    BBStorm > S2 > DX > DX2 > Galaxy Nexus
    SGT > Xoom

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe21599 View Post
    I've run the CM9 Kang (but not the 12/29 version) and the Android Open Kang Project - Toro Build (but not the 12/26 version). I'm currently on the Axiom rom. I'm sure I'll try the others soon. I've noticed very few differences in any of the roms I've rum on the Galaxy Nexus. The only real world difference for me has been how they treat the screen "Keep Awake" issue. My phone is one of those that ends up with a very high Andorid OS percentage in the battery usage chart. And it traces to a very high "Keep Awake" time. It is my opinion, and supported by some testing I have performed, that this is a result of the phone not truly going to sleep when it is put to sleep with the power button. If the phone is allowed to time out and go to sleep automatically it then truly goes to sleep. Anyway, two of the roms I've run, 1 - Android Open Kang Project - Toro Build and 2 - Axiom, actually address this issue and force the phone to go to sleep when the power button is pressed. This results in much better battery life for my phone. If your phone does not have this issue, then this feature is of little importance to you. I'm at the point now with the Gnex that I eventually reached with the Droid 1 and that is that the kernel is much more important to me than the rom. After installing dozens and dozens of roms on the Droid 1, I ended up picking roms based on what themes were available. I think I'm going to get there on this phone too. I'll end up with a kernel that my phone loves and I'll pick a rom based on the themes that are available.

Good luck and try them all - that's part of the fun.

Oh, and just be very, very sure you make a nandroid prior to any changes. Make one right after you root and then make a new one right before you install a rom, kernel, theme, etc. You can go into /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup and rename the nandroid backups to something that tells you what each backup is. Just be sure to not have any "spaces" in the name as clockwork will freak at that. You can use a "-" or an underline (_) in place of a space. My naming scheme is date-rom-kernel (12-25-2011_AxiomV2.1_Imo).

Good luck.
    PaulJrCastro likes this.
    Baton Rouge, LA

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    327 times
    I'm running AOKP right now with Matr1x kernel and liking it a lot. Some nice ROM features and a touch of OC. I would think if they don't say CM9 anywhere then they're based on Google's code and if they do then some of it was taken from CM's.

Tapped via Galaxy Nexus LTE..
    -Stephen
    Need Help? Don't panic (yet) Call the Rescue Squad!

"On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs"

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    more along the lines of are these all considered to be CM?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    327 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe21599 View Post
    more along the lines of are these all considered to be CM?
    Not all CM, but anything AOSP is based off the same source as CM. The CM team adds in their tweaks and some people have used their modded version as a base.
    -Stephen
    Need Help? Don't panic (yet) Call the Rescue Squad!

"On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads