Register

ICS 4.0.4 in Australia

This is a discussion on ICS 4.0.4 in Australia within the Galaxy Nexus OS forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Hi , I am new here so I apologise now if this has already been discussed. I am in Australia and have Android 4.0.1 on ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Milky Way
    Member #

ICS 4.0.4 in Australia

Hi , I am new here so I apologise now if this has already been discussed. I am in Australia and have Android 4.0.1 on my GN. Just wondering if anyone knows if ICS 4.0.4 will be released here before Christmas or will I have to wait for my phone company to give me ICS 5.0 whenever they decide ?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    No one really knows except the provider. I waited for a few months on 4.01 GSM phone and nothing came so I rooted and updated to 4.04 myself. I have noticed a big improvement in the phone.. something to consider. There is lots of help here to accomplish what you need to do if you do root.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I don't know if Telstra would honour my warranty if I root the phone. I am not familiar with the term same as PRL and a few other terms. Is there a place or thread that explains this?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    585 times
    Twitter
    thephantom_dra
    Quote Originally Posted by Alibaby View Post
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I don't know if Telstra would honour my warranty if I root the phone. I am not familiar with the term same as PRL and a few other terms. Is there a place or thread that explains this?
    If you send you're phone in for repair and they see it's rooted, chances are it's goodbye warranty. If it's simply to update you like, you can simply flash a yakju build and no need to root. Just make sure you relock the bootloader part and it would look like it came from where you bought it originally

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    LG Nexus 5 / Nokia Lumia 1520 / Asus Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by @rbiter View Post
    teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. teach a man to fastboot, and you create competency.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Sorry for my ignorance but you lost me there. By the way my wife has a Samsung GS II and the GN craps all over it for use. Best phone I have ever had.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Alibaby, try this thread.. Wug's toolkit is pretty much bullet proof and can do what you need.. I rooted with it, played around a bit then flashed 4.04 using the flash+Unroot button.. then I rooted again LOL...

http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/foru...t-toolkit.html

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm in Australia as well, if you wait for Telstra to upgrade your GN you'll wait forever, big company has their red tape to follow.
    Just use the tool kit to refresh ICS 4.04 yourself, you don't need to root it if you don't want to.
    There are 2 tool kits available and one manual method, they all work fine.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    585 times
    Twitter
    thephantom_dra
    Sorry for my ignorance but you lost me there. By the way my wife has a Samsung GS II and the GN craps all over it for use. Best phone I have ever had.
    I'll explain better. The "yakju" term mentioned is build of the firmware used in the phone. Apparently, for the Galaxy Nexus, there are several types which can be classified into 2. Yakju/Takju for Google updated builds and Non Yakju for Samsung updated builds. For you to know which you have is to simply check on Settings - About Phone - scroll down til the bottom and check the build number. If it has only 6 characters like ICL41F then you have a yakju. If it has ICL41F.I9250*****, you have a non-yakju phone. the first 2 "*" tells you which type of yakju build you have - XW, UX, SC, KR, ZS, etc. To date, from what I've seen, the ones with upgrades to 4.0.4 are yakju/takju, yakjuzs, yakjuux, yakjusc and yakjukr. Some people prefer to staying with their current build while others prefer to change to yakju/takju so that the updates are directly from Google. Do note that transferring is NOT a guarantee that you'll be getting the updates the quickest as well. If you decide you want to change so you get the most updated build, there are ways to do it. One method is to use a toolkit. A short cut method to change your build. Another way is to manually flash which is what I wrote so that you can see the step by step procedure in changing the build of your device. What's important in the end is that if you plan on staying stock and not touching your unit, you can lock the "bootloader" or i usually call it the gateway to play around with your phone. Locking it makes the phone appear how it was as it is brought out of the box so in case you need to bring it back to the store for warranty, you don't void it.
    LG Nexus 5 / Nokia Lumia 1520 / Asus Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by @rbiter View Post
    teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. teach a man to fastboot, and you create competency.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Thanks for the replies and links, now I got a lot of research and learning to do. Will get back to you later with progress report.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Thanks for the replies and links, now I got a lot of research and learning to do. Will get back to you later with progress report.
    You will want to grab the gsm build available from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Backup any data on your phone (if you have any) this needs the bootloader to be unlocked and will wipe all data from the phone

If you choose to go down this path its best to leave the bootloader unlocked. I've use this build without any noticeable problems (I'm with Telstra)

As previously mentioned, root isn't essential unless you have apps that require it!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads