Register

ICS 4.0.4 in Australia

This is a discussion on ICS 4.0.4 in Australia within the Galaxy Nexus OS forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Back again with the never ending saga of the update. I talked to the sales , tech support and mobile sections of my carrier today ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Milky Way
    Member #
    Back again with the never ending saga of the update. I talked to the sales , tech support and mobile sections of my carrier today and basically they said "If we did not authorise the firmware update then no warranty on the phone" I asked the people in all these departments when would the update from ICS4.0.1 to 4.0.4 could possibly happen and was told it has been delayed again and maybe not till Xmas and then it would probably bea straight jump to JB.

Sorry for the tirade but this sucks as they told me that Samsung , Google and Telstra have to sign off on the upgrade before it eventuates.

Read the instructions on the Nexus toolkit and finally got a grasp on how to do the upgrade myself , will be doing it shortly.

Oh I nearly forgot to tell you that the Tech has a Nexus and he has updated his phone to 404. He got his phone last week. He even showed me the phone. Funny huh?

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Screw them.. put Jelly Bean on the phone...

Milky Way
    Member #
    Don't like them enough for that.......ewwww. Don't I have to go to ICS 4.0.4 first?

Milky Way
    Member #
    Mate, I was once in the same boat as you. Not knowing how to Root or stuff. But I really like to dive into the phone and pick up some awesome features and what not. I'm an Aussie too, and I made my GN into 4.1.1 (JellyBean).

Currently I'm with Optus, Android Version 4.1.1 with Kernel version 3.0.31 - franco Kernel-nightly 512GPU Building Number: JRO03C.

If you are too afraid of 'rooting' your GN because it may somehow void the warranty, then don't do it. If you are keen on seeing awesome features and cannot wait for the next update, might as well risk it and just root the damn device, it ain't going to turn your GN into a bomb. If you drop the GN and somehow damaged its hardware and what not, that's your fault. Buy some accessories to make it live longer a bit.

Back to the process of getting your device into 4.0.4 or 4.1. Watch this guy, he is awesome.
    How to Root Galaxy Nexus! [Universal Guide][GSM/Verizon/Sprint][Windows/Linux/Mac] | GalaxyNexusRoot.com

He helped me get my phone to where it is right now.
    Btw, backing up takes a huge amount of time.
    Gluck Mate.

DarkThief

EDIT: btw mate, If you bought the GN here in Australia, our GN devices are GSM. Not Sprint, not Verizon. we're also using the yakju build.
    Last edited by DarkThief; 07-20-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Thanks for the reply. I did buy my GN here in Adelaide from Telstra. I was thinking of using the Nexus toolkit from this site as it seems to be the easiest way for me to update and eveything else that needs to be done to the phone. The wife has a Samsung Galaxy SII and soI have kies on the machine. Have to get rid of the samsung drivers first and then onward and upward and Telstra can go and get a bootloader up them.

Everyone on the site has been very helpful and supportive and I truly appreciate it.

Will let you know what happens after my attempt at what should be a manufacturers or carriers job. This is how I will be when I get it right.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Good luck! If you are using Wugs toolkit.. virtually painless.. put yakju without the Google Wallet on the phone to go to 4.04, then the check for updates routine and you will be fine!!! Just follow the instructions.. very well written.

Milky Way
    Member #
    At this stage there's not a stock Yakju 4.1.1 build from Google (I'm sure there will be) but to get the OTA to JellyBean you need to be on stock ICS first. So what I did was to flash ICS then skip the setup (Google account or any personal preferences) then go into checking for system updates and you will get JellyBean, after that was applied then I went through the setup and personalisation of how I like things to be.

The quickest way to do a full backup of the contents of the virtual /sdcard is using ADB

adb pull /sdcard /path_of_your_choice (note I use Linux)

So my example looks like...

adb pull /sdcard /home/scott/gnex-backup/

This will take a while depending on how much you have on the /sdcard partition!

I'm sure there's a better explanation for doing this on Windows (it would be very similar)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    No there is no stock yakju 4.1, but if you change the phone to yakju 4.04 it will update to JB and it will say "samsung yakju" after the OTA

Milky Way
    Member #
    Samsung 4.1.1 huh?

uploadfromtaptalk1342839020782.jpg

Mine just says what you see in the image!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Milky Way
    Member #
    So here it goes I think

Select my model

backup my data and contacts (I thought they were saved on my SIM card)

unlock the phone

root the phone with permanent CWM

Flash stock and unroot which will auto select ,download and extract the image for me and then OEM Lock the phone so it is locked again so my carrier doesn't know I did a naughty.

Or do I leave it unlocked for the OTA updates?

If this is correct then please say so and I will give it a shot and if not tell me where I have gone wrong please. Any hints and comments good and bad are appreciated as this is a very steep learning curve for me and I want to get it right .

Thanks for your patience with this old fart.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads