Register

ICS 4.0.4 in Australia

This is a discussion on ICS 4.0.4 in Australia within the Galaxy Nexus OS forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; I just received OTA Jellybean update today. I don't know if it was released last night or early this morning. When I woke up, it ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Milky Way
    Member #
    I just received OTA Jellybean update today. I don't know if it was released last night or early this morning. When I woke up, it prompt me to update to 4.1.1.

I'm in Sydney area. I received OTA 4.0.4 last week of April BTW.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    585 times
    Twitter
    thephantom_dra
    Quote Originally Posted by floppyrn View Post
    I just received OTA Jellybean update today. I don't know if it was released last night or early this morning. When I woke up, it prompt me to update to 4.1.1.

I'm in Sydney area. I received OTA 4.0.4 last week of April BTW.
    For purposes of sharing info to others, could you post which build you are on so we know if the non yakju/takju builds have started rolling out the updates? Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    LG Nexus 5 / Nokia Lumia 1520 / Asus Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by @rbiter View Post
    teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. teach a man to fastboot, and you create competency.

Milky Way
    Member #
    I was on IMM761 build before JB update.

Now post update it shows the ff:
    Build number: JR003C
    Baseband: I9250XXLF1
    Kernel: 3.0.31-g6fb96c9
    Android version: 4.1.1

I have a generic unlock nexus that I bought on ebay. The network I'm using is prepaid Vodafone.

Milky Way
    Member #
    I am using a GN on a post-paid plan with Telstra , still trying to find out if I unlock just bootloader or the network.

Sorry if I seem so stupid but I have no experience with phone updates or the toolkits , only worked on computers for about 30+ years.

When I get to be a pain in the butt asking you to walk me through the whole process let me know , don't want to upset anyone.

Milky Way
    Member #
    When you unlock your nexus, it's only the bootloader of the phone, you're not unlocking the phone for use on other carriers.

Milky Way
    Member #
    thanks for that info.

Do I need to root the phone for the updates ( I am on ICS 4.0.1)

and how do I get the files for the updates , do I download them or does the toolkit find them for me?

As I said I am a total noob at this

Milky Way
    Member #
    Root isn't essential unless you have a particular application(s) that require it.

Now as I'm not sure what OS you are using the process is slightly different between Windows, Mac & Linux. The firmware zip from the url I quoted previously has the needed script to run to flash the ICS ROM however you need to have the SDK (you need fastboot) so that the script can run.

To prepare the phone you need to power it off,then holding the volume up/down in & power on, continue holding until you see the the ODIN screen. At that point the phone is ready to receive fastboot commands.

To unlock the phone bootloader issue

fastboot oem unlock

Then follow the prompts

Repeat the process again to return to the ODIN screen, then you can execute the update script.

Note that once you issue oem unlock this erases all personal data from the phone so backup anything prior to doing any of this!

Now don't just take my wording of this, research this prior as I won't be responsible for any data loss or damage to your phone! (usual disclaimer)

Milky Way
    Member #
    Thanks for the reply about using Odin ,just need to know what SDK you mean.
    I am using Win7 64bit.
    Downloaded the file off the link you gave me , it is a tar file , do I extract it and if yes where to?

The only personal data on the phone are a ringtone and a wallpaper which I can save to the computer and my contacts which are saved to the SIM card.

By the way I contacted Samsung ,Google and Telstra about the firmware updates for Australia and they all said it was someone else's responsibility not theirs , Telstra just said modify the firmware and kiss the warranty goodbye. Interesting how they work things.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Ok, the SDK is the Software Development Kit and can be downloaded from

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

All the institutions are on that page!

To extract the tar file you will need something like 7zip (free software) the placement of the files once extracted is important so just make sure you remember where you extracted them! placing a folder on the C:\ drive will make it easier to find in the cmd terminal.

Telstra suck when it comes to updates! Hence why I find it better to use Yakju cause then any updates come from Google...

Just remember, to be sure of what you will be doing and if you're in any doubt, then simply leave the phone as is

I still challenge the statement about changing the firmware, after all unless they were to check the build revision there's no physical difference in the appearance

Milky Way
    Member #
    Thanks for the reply , I looked at the SDK and I nearly had a stroke at what was there.
    Will attempt to muddle through all this info and make a decision.
    I am also going to go back to the Telstra shop I got the phone from and ask their Tech guy (they have one on site ) if he will do the update , maybe I will get lucky.
    If not I am going to do it myself as the phone is a dream to use. I would just like the the phone to be as good and as versatile as advertised(update wise).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads