Register

Hardware acceleration in ICS.

This is a discussion on Hardware acceleration in ICS. within the Galaxy Nexus OS forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; I have read that the Iphone is fully hardware accelerated, which is why it appears to operate so smooth. Their have been rumors saying that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hardware acceleration in ICS.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Hardware acceleration in ICS.

I have read that the Iphone is fully hardware accelerated, which is why it appears to operate so smooth. Their have been rumors saying that ICS is fully hardware-accelerated also. When watching the demo vids, it sure looks like it is in some areas. It hard to tell if it is, when people transition through home screens because, they don't do it a lot when demoing the device or, they do it too quickly. Sometime it looks like it flows, and other times it looks like it snaps depending on who's using it.

Either way, I'm getting this phone, I just wonder what you all think or know about this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    What I've read thus far tends to lead me to believe that there is full hardware acceleration. Hopefully we'll have confirmation soon.

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Below is a paraphrasing of a something I read in a recent comments page relating to hardware acceleration and Android: The Android OS cannot be hardware accelerated like iOS or Windows because it is not a composite based OS (that is, it's not closed like iOS or Windows). This is due to JAVA (Android's version of it) being an "on the fly" OS, which is why it can be customized with widgets and launchers etc. Animations and such in iOS and Windows are already baked in and are optimized for their particular hardware.

I can't speak to the truth of the above statement ( I hope my paraphrasing is accurate) but I'd like to hear what others think. I've also read that hardware acceleration partially uses the Graphics processor unit. Any comment?
    subutai likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Interesting. Makes some sense.

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    And yet a good launcher like launcherPro can vastly improve scrolling speeds on Gingerbread. I'd like to know why.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    And yet a good launcher like launcherPro can vastly improve scrolling speeds on Gingerbread. I'd like to know why.
    Yeah, I noticed that as well and have also heard what you posted about android being not a composite based OS. I'm not sure because, the app drawer seems to scroll smoother than anything. I've also noticed how the carrier overlays seem to run smooth also. ICS looks like a big leap forward from the vids I've seen.

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Did you mean the app drawer in Gingerbread, yes, that scrolled very smoothly (without a third party launcher). I'll be very happy with ICS with or without hardware acceleration.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah I will also be happy with ICS whether it's fully hardware-accelerated or not also. It's just too many things I like about Android and, ICS period; for that to be a deal breaker for me. As far as the app drawer, it's been a while but, I seem to remember it being smooth on Android all the way back to Eclair.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Yeah, the app drawer has typically been pretty smooth, where we saw lag was on the homescreen scrolling. It had it moments where it would really bug me (especially when I'm trying to explain the finer points of android to an iPhone using friend) but it never was too infuriating. ICS overall looks absolutely amazing and I saw a tiny bit of lag here or there on the release video; but such is the price we pay for a phone that does exactly what we want it to do.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Kill off Sense stuff, use LauncherPro, and kill off 'animations' and my Sensation flies. I can tap the Apps button on the homescreen as fast as I possibly can, and it strobes..as it keeps up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads