Register

Garbled/Choppy Audio Occurring Randomly When Playing Through the Line Out.

This is a discussion on Garbled/Choppy Audio Occurring Randomly When Playing Through the Line Out. within the Galaxy Nexus Help forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Support Forum category; Hello all, long time no post. I've been getting along just fine with my GNex until a few weeks ago when I noticed that my ...

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Unhappy Garbled/Choppy Audio Occurring Randomly When Playing Through the Line Out.

Hello all, long time no post.

I've been getting along just fine with my GNex until a few weeks ago when I noticed that my audio started to sound bad when playing through the headphone jack. Specifically, what happens is about every 5 minutes or so whatever audio is playing will stutter briefly or I will hear what sounds like 56k modem like sounds over the music for about 10 seconds. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this, and if so, have you been able to fix it?

More Details:
    • I am rooted and running custom roms (BakedBean as of today...)
    • I have tried numerous data wipes, new roms and updated kernels and this happens with all of them.

• I primarily use PowerAmp for playing music, it will always occur when using this app.
    • It occurs regardless of the bitrate of the song or whether or not the screen is on (read about that issue online).
    • I also stream through Rhapsody and Sirius and they do have degraded audio also, just in lower frequency.

• It is WAY louder when plugged into the car vs using headphones, but it can certainly be heard at even low volume.
    • I can hear white noise and 60 cycle hum when the GNex is plugged into any AC/DC power source but not playing audio.
    • This concerns me as it makes me think there might be a bad ground/toasted hardware.
    • The stuttering and garbledness(real word?) occur whether or not it is charging
    I do have Asurion Insurance, which I will use if its hopeless like I believe it is. However, I would prefer not to drop ~$100 and take my chances with a refurb after all the horror stories that are posted everywhere if I don't have to. Thanks.

EDIT: This adds nothing to the post, but a friend of mine said it was contacting the mothership and I shouldn't interrupt unless I want to end up with crop circles on my lawn. The people you meet in college
    Last edited by xMADMAGx; 10-07-2012 at 03:29 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Nevermind, I just dumped this phone. After my fifth full commute dealing with the invisible fax machine that calls be every 10 minutes I decided it wasn't worth my sanity investing anymore time in it.

Has anyone out there ever had something so weird occur in their phone?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Nothing quite like that...mine does occasionally sound like it's stuttering a little bit when I'm installing apps at the same time as streaming pandora...but nothing I could compare to modem sounds.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well the phone is gone now, but, I went back to stock before sending it off to wherever the bad Verizon phones go...

I tried troubleshooting one last time, but even when in 100% stock condition the phone would still misbehave. I just noticed that the problem still occurred while Bluetooth streaming as well. So after trying multiple speakers, power sources, batteries, charging cables, audio cables, music applications, kernels, and so on, I am pretty confident in saying it had to be a hardware failure.

That's pretty odd for a phone to have a hardware problem when its 9 months old. Also, it would still make the odd sounds when streaming over Bluetooth. In my experience either they fail right away or when they are way past their prime. At any rate, the new one works just fine.

PROBLEM SOLVED, have a nice day!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    292 times

Re: Garbled/Choppy Audio Occurring Randomly When Playing Through the Line Out.

Yeah, sometimes crazy things do happen with electronics. Oh well, at least they're sending you another one!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Remove Ads

Ads