Register

Galaxy Nexus Dialing Problem

This is a discussion on Galaxy Nexus Dialing Problem within the Galaxy Nexus Help forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Support Forum category; Maybe one of you can help me. I have the Nexus, and just flew to India. I installed a local SIM card, so I can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Galaxy Nexus Dialing Problem

Maybe one of you can help me. I have the Nexus, and just flew to India. I installed a local SIM card, so I can use the phone in India.

If I dial a call manually, such as entering either +91 9843664648 using my local SIM card, it works fine. I can even use just the number, leaving out the +91 country code. I can also receive calls with no problem.

My problem is in using the numbers that the phone "stores".

If I use the "People app", or even go to the PHONE icon and get my list of contacts, I have a problem. The call won't go through. If I find the contact, and then the line with the phone number, I used to just click on it to call. That is broken - nothing seems to happen. To the right of the listing though, there is a small box, apparently to ask how I want to make the call. The choices are:
    Google Voice
    Messaging
    If I click on the listing, the phone dials some strange number, and tells me it is trying to use Google Voice - wrong...... All I want it to do, is dial the number, as if I had entered it manually. I am completely lost here - I can't find any settings that have anything to do with this.

Am I missing something obvious, or did I break something? I can do a screen capture of what the phone is doing, if that would help.

-----------------------------------------------------

Example - one listing is for my name, with a phone number of +919843664648

If I click on that entry, to call, what I see on the screen at the top is:

CALLING VIA GOOGLE VOICE +1-313-438-XXXX (I crossed out the last four digits, so whoever's number that is won't be bothered)

DIALING

First question is why is it using Google Voice at all (should I temporarily remove Google Voice), and the second question is where in the world would it have found that number???
    Last edited by MikeMyers; 09-06-2012 at 03:18 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    585 times
    Twitter
    thephantom_dra

Re: Galaxy Nexus Dialing Problem

Did you set Google voice as default prior to going there?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    LG Nexus 5 / Nokia Lumia 1520 / Asus Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by @rbiter View Post
    teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. teach a man to fastboot, and you create competency.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    No, but I did try to use the phone in off-line mode before I put in the SIM card - maybe it did that by default? Good idea - now, if I can only find how to check the default settings.

That does make perfect sense - but even so, the phone number got scrambled. Thanks! This sounds promising.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    585 times
    Twitter
    thephantom_dra

Go to settings then apps then search the app and see if there is a clear defaults option

teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. teach a man to fastboot, and you create competency.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I did as you suggested - went to Google Voice, and looked for those settings.

What I found underneath Cache was:

"LAUNCH BY DEFAULT".

Beneath that, it has a line:

"No defaults set.", and to the right of that, a grayed out box for "Clear defaults" (which I can't click, as it's grayed out).

How would I find a setting for the normal phone usage, and select that as my default - or is there something else I'm missing?

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Solved!!

Thank you for your suggestions - that got me onto the right track.

I couldn't do anything about Google Voice, but I could (and did) remove it. Once it was goine, my phone worked again. I then re-installed it, and the phone still works.

I suspect that if you first turn on the phone with no SIM card, but you do have Google Voice installed, the phone naturally (??) assumes that is how you will make calls. When you install a SIM card later, the phone doesn't change that default setting.

Maybe someone can pass this on to the appropriate people at Google?

Thank you again....

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    585 times
    Twitter
    thephantom_dra

Tried replicating the scenario. On your first post, the little box is actually for messaging. Forgot to mention that. Perhaps you could check in the settings of Google voice? Unfortunately I don't have it installed so I can't do a walk through although I'm inclined to think it has something to do with it. Any other 'phone' app you have which may cause it?

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thephantom View Post
    Tried replicating the scenario. On your first post, the little box is actually for messaging. Forgot to mention that. Perhaps you could check in the settings of Google voice? ......

The little box - yes, I used to use it for sending an SMS to the selected number. That was not part of the problem.

To completely replicate the problem, you need a working phone, on T-Mobile (using their frequency), and with Google Voice installed, set to T-Mobile's phone number. Then, here's what you would need to do:

1. use phone, make sure all is well, and calling works properly.
    2. shut off phone, remove SIM card, and re-start. I assume that if you try to make a phone call, the phone will "try" to use Google Voice. Maybe it will even work.
    3. shut off phone, install a new SIM card, preferably on a new carrier and a new frequency. In other words, very different from what was there before.
    4. re-start phone, and select a contact, and click the number to dial.

The phone might be very confused. In my case the new SIM card was from India, meaning the carrier was different (Vodafone), the frequency was probably different than what T-Mobile used, and the whole format of the number was different from what the phone used to see.

In my case, the phone didn't seem to realize that it could now use a SIM card, and apparently was still trying to use Google Voice. When I removed that App, the phone had to do something different, and apparently it then found my new overseas SIM card.

I looked at every setting I could find, but as far as I could tell, almost everything was normal. However, it said on the settings screen that Google Voice was the default, even though the "selection" box was not set. I think that Google programmed the phone to be able to work with Google Voice, even if you don't have a SIM card, and THAT is where my problem began. Once that was set, it never did get cleared when I put in the new SIM card. .....which means you won't be able to really replicate this without first installing Google Voice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because of concerns like this, among others, I bought a second Nexus just before leaving. I will see if I can replicate part of the above, installing Google Voice, then removing the SIM card and using the phone with Google Voice, then re-installing the SIM card. That might be enough to trigger the problem.

Maybe you can tell me ahead of time - the only phone number I'll be able to use here, to set up the software, is my Indian SIM card's number. Will Google Voice be able to be configured with a foreign SIM card?

(Nothing urgent any more, as far as I can tell, the phone is now fixed. I'd just like to understand why it got confused. I've got other things I'm puzzled about - will put them in separate threads.)

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    585 times
    Twitter
    thephantom_dra
    It got confused perhaps because Google Voice is only applicable to the US? You won't be able to configure the Indian sim with it as far as i can recall. I'm not in the US as well so I don't use Google voice. Oh and I saw your other thread on the phone number being unknown. It's a network feature so that has to be programmed to the sim. Mine is like that as well.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    That might be the explanation - sounds reasonable to me. If so, I should somehow send a bug report to Google, but I have no idea how to do so.

Regarding Google Voice, I haven't sorted this out yet, but it might help both of us get GV working:
    Confirmed - Google Voice works in India !

Maybe it also applies to where you are?

I'm glad I have a "practice phone" to try stuff out on. Who knows, maybe I'll even learn how to install a custom ROM, but that's a ways off. I really need to know and understand the phone just how it is now, before changing anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads