Register

Jelly Bean has ruined wifi and GSM connection.

This is a discussion on Jelly Bean has ruined wifi and GSM connection. within the Galaxy Nexus Help forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Support Forum category; So I got the update a little while ago and have had nothing but dropped signal then no signal then full signal. I am based ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Milky Way
    Member #

Jelly Bean has ruined wifi and GSM connection.

So I got the update a little while ago and have had nothing but dropped signal then no signal then full signal. I am based in the UK on vodafone with a sure signal in the house. One minute it's showing three bars then nothing. The wifi is the same even though I've got avoid poor connections unticked. And I have stay connected during sleep ticked.

Anyone else had issues since moving to 4.1.1?

TIA

2. # ADS
    Ads

Milky Way
    Member #
    I'm noticing a similar thing here, the 3G signal is at best reported as 3/4 but on ICS it was always 4/4 I'm within 1km from the nearest 3G Telstra tower (when at home) yet comparing the wife's Samsung galaxy S2 4G (gingerbread!) hers reports 4/4. So I'm convinced that there's definitely an issue with the reporting of signal strength for 3G. As for WiFi I've ensured that I have a good signal throughout the house so no issues with that!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Milky Way
    Member #
    I paired my phone to the car today and the phone showed no signal yet the car display showed 2 bars.....

Milky Way
    Member #
    Has anyone able to fix this yet?

I am in Brisbane Australia and purchased a GSM SGN when launched in November from MobiCity. It was a jukjuzs model and assume it was initially for some Asian market (MobiCity sell parallel imported phones).

Anyway I got tired of waiting months for updates to come through so used the SGN Root kit to flash to Jellybean 4.1.1. I absolutely love Jellybean but my reception ever since has been terrible compared to 4.0.x. It very rarely gets a 3G signal at my house yet my work iPhone 4S will have full bars 3G signal. I used to get full 3G signal on ICS with the SGN before.

I notice when I have a 3G signal, the moment I turn on wifi tethering the 3G signal will disappear and be back to slooooow 'H', and I am forced to use my work provided iPhone which doesn't have much of a data allowance.

Both the iPhone and SGN are on the Telstra network. The signal strength varies from -80 to -100 dBm and 12-15 asu. It doesn't drop the mobile network at all, it just mainly drops what 3G it does find the second wifi tethering is turned on.

Any ideas? Getting very frustrated here! I have stood by the SGN for so long but when I finally get an OS which seems to work 'perfect' now the hardware is defective! I can't help but feel the GSM SGN was a 'broken' phone right from the very beginning.

Thanks!

Milky Way
    Member #
    Ok I think I have this now sorted, but I guess time will tell - so far so good though!

I found that my phone originally had the XXKL1 radio as intended for the general European market. From doing some google searching and coming across this thread on xda-developers http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1806999 I found the Australian Telstra specific DVLF1 radio which is better suited to the 850Mhz 3G frequency Telstra Australia uses.

It was pretty easy to do, I used the Samsung Galaxy Nexus Toolkit (google it for where to download it from) to unlock the boot loader, perform a nandroid backup (just to be safe), flashed the CWB recovery loader and then installed the radio from the zip file in the above link.

If anyone needs more specific instructions feel free to post here or PM me.

Thanks!

Milky Way
    Member #
    I've been using this radio image now for about a week and it's certainly made a difference for 3G reception here! Thanks for the info

Edit: Although I'm not 100% convinced that it's fixed the issue, yes the signal being reported is stronger but performance is still questionable...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by VK7HSE; 08-19-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Milky Way
    Member #
    help!!i have a jellybean gsm white nexus and it drops bars at home and at work like crazy.is the jelly bean update the cause? and it gets 3g and hspa outdoors like nobodys business but indoors it sometimes goes to nothing.i used to have a white one in may on 4.0 ics and it never did this indoors.i am using tmob. and they say there are ok signals in my area.any one else?

Milky Way
    Member #
    I am having similar issues as everyone...I have a standard UK GNEX with standard Google Jelly bean... I get no signal at home where my wife's phone (iphone) on the same operator (o2) gets 3g.
    This is very annoying...it seems to work fine only when outside in Central London...sometimes it goes from 4 bars to nothing... I dont seem to be able to get 3g anymore when in central london only H or GPRS most of the time.
    Never had this issue prior to the OTA Jelly bean update.

Milky Way
    Member #

Same Issue

I get almost no signal 50% of the time. I will just hear a bllep and then Call Ended. No signal. I live in Trinidad using Digicel. Its frustrating. Was wondering if it was the SIM. But i didnt have this problem with ICS. It frequently says that its in Airport Mode even though i didnt put it there. Badly need a solution. My phone was from the unlocked International GSM, I suspect made for Asia, ones that were sold on Newegg.

Milky Way
    Member #
    I think its the radio mismatch. I tried installing the radio from here [Baseband/Radio] DVLF1 (Telstra GSM) - xda-developers but it failed. I installed getRIL (free) and it found the RIL frequency mismatch and installed the new radio automatically (root needed). For the last 12 Hrs No signal loss. I think its fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads