Register

Unwanted Apps showing up on my home screen for no obvious reason

This is a discussion on Unwanted Apps showing up on my home screen for no obvious reason within the Galaxy Nexus Help forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Support Forum category; I posted this on Google+ earlier today, but I think this forum would be a much better place to get help.... Here's the link if ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Unwanted Apps showing up on my home screen for no obvious reason

I posted this on Google+ earlier today, but I think this forum would be a much better place to get help.... Here's the link if it works:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10113...28485324717922

Here's the text that goes with the screen capture:

Mike Myers - Anybody know what the three "apps" at the bottom of this screen are, or why they appeared on my screen overnight? Is there any way to get the "properties" of them, without actually running them? I don't know what they are, where they came from, what they do, and most important of all, why they showed up, un-announced, on my phone.

To elaborate, once a week I suddenly see one to three new "apps" (or whatever they are) on my home screen. I don't think they're really apps - more like spyware, if anything, so I won't click on them obviously. I tried to figure out what they were, but couldn't find any way to "see" them, so just deleted them. The latest three (shown in the screen capture above if it works) are "CatchCheat", "Mobile Che...", and "GetCheater".

If I go to settings, and look at "all" apps, they don't show up - so I suspect they're not (yet) apps, but might turn into apps if I were to click on them, causing them to do whatever it is they do.

Is there any way to figure out what they are?
    Second, other than a factory reset, is there any way to prevent them from showing up in the future?

I hate "fixing" things without first figuring out what was wrong. Any suggestions or advice?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

(I doubt if the image showed up when I posted the first link, so here's a direct link to the image I stored on Google....)

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    978 times
    Try airpush detector from play store. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...V0ZWN0b3IiXQ..

Before you flash anything can you get back to stock? How to get back to stock using Odin

Have you backed up your files and pictures? I see too many desperate cries for help recovering deleted priceless pictures with no solution.

Need to hard reset? How to Hard Reset-Factory Data Reset.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Wow, after two weeks of not finding anything, three phone calls to Google Support, three posts on Google+, and now the post above - I think I found the answer:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...detector&hl=en

Seems to be a WONDERFUL app, to check what all our apps are doing and let us get rid of the ones that are most obnoxious. In my case, I had two apps that were placing advertisements on my desktop! Gone!

I'm too sleepy right now to figure out all the other things it can do, and find what other apps I should remove.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Oops, thanks, Paull!! Maybe it was ESP, but it's great to know that even if I hadn't stumbled across what I did, you'd not only have solved my problem, but also told me about "airpush", which until now I've been quite oblivious to!

If it makes you feel better, NOBODY at the Google support center, nor at Samsung tech support, knew about this, or at least they couldn't put the pieces together correctly.

I feel better now - not only do I have this problem solved, I fully understand why it was happening, and even the name of the three apps that might have been causing it.

Again, thank you!!

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    With the release of the new dev guidelines this should be soon a thing of the past if you know what apps were doing this flag them in the play store see how long they last lol.

Sent from a fellow Androidians Gnex ^_^
    Galaxy Nexus i9250 - stock
    Motorola Xoom wifi - Rooted - Recovery:TWRP Rom: EOS3 nightly 155
    Sony smart watch

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I know which apps were capable of doing this - which isn't to say that one of them was specifically the cause of the problem.
    It wouldn't be fair to say that one was "guilty", unless I could find a way to verify it.

I deleted anything the program said was capable of creating these ads on the home screen, but one showed up a few minutes ago. That's probably because I didn't re-boot the phone after the cleaning. At least I hope that's the case. If not, I've got more searching to do.

I wish I could find a way to right-click on something on the GNEX, and do "properties" as I would in Windows!

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I found an even better solution:
    One Of Jelly Bean's Best Features - Say Goodbye To Notification Spam By Selectively Disabling Notifications For Individual Apps

Amazing! This is EXACTLY what I was wanting to know how to do! .....instead of a right-click, it's a long-press, but it works!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Great find

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks - people tell me it works, but I haven't gotten it to work for me yet. Maybe I need to set something up first?
    It's a HUGE addition to Android, and solves all kinds of potential problems.

Ads