Register

Android os excessive data usage

This is a discussion on Android os excessive data usage within the Galaxy Nexus Help forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Support Forum category; Originally Posted by d1L777 Wow, yea man we got to figure out something for you. That usage is getting crazy. I can tell you titanium ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Android os excessive data usage

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by d1L777 View Post
    Wow, yea man we got to figure out something for you. That usage is getting crazy. I can tell you titanium backup should not be your problem. You didn't have it syncing with a box or a dropbox account did you?

I think it's about time to do a factory reset, or have you thought about putting on a custom ROM? You should backup all your apps with titanium backup (just user, no system apps), backup your SD card to your computer, sync your contacts with your Google account, sync your calendar with your Google account, and any other things you have. After doing a factory reset or flashing a ROM, during the initial set up when the options to back up your phone settings and bookmarks and restore apps from the play store, I would not check any of those boxes and just use titanium to restore apps and that you want and use like the browser sync or chrome sync in your Google account settings to restore bookmarks and stuff.

I know that when I went from stock rooted to flashing my first ROM I noticed AndroidOS battery usage went down, I don't watch data usage really because I have an unlimited plan. Battery and data should somewhat go hand and hand.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    I hadn't set it up to do anything yet. And I believe you have to have the pro version to be able to sync on-line backups. I went through the app before I deleted it and it wasn't claiming to have done anything.

Been copying everything over to the computer so I can do a factory reset.

yesterday was 500mb again on wifi this time, and today I can't tell so far as the data usage screen won't let me get rid of all of yesterday yet. Once it will let me change the start line to today I can get a feel if deleting the apps did anything...
    Last edited by outcastrc; 06-22-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Scratch that... Data usage just allowed me to check today only. 88mb already and it's only 10am!

Enough playing I am hitting the reset button. I am leaving town for the weekend and won't have wifi available. So its either keep the phone off or use up a gig or more while I am gone...

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Twitter
    d1l777
    Yea man that's not cool. Go ahead and copy and save all your stuff and try a factory reset. That's normally last resort but I think we're there. If you have everything backed up it won't hurt to try

PM with any Questions
    GTalk available upon Request

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well its too early to tell yet but Android OS has only pulled 2.33mb in the last 3 hours. Keeping fingers crossed.

I just installed the apps that I use on a day to day basis. Everything else can wait till this is over.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Twitter
    d1l777
    Good choice on only installing what you use regularly. Hopefully this solves your problem. If you go this weekend and it only pulls a small amount I would start installing apps you use but use less, maybe like 2 or 3 at a time and watch AndroidOS and see if it starts to spike after installing a certain set of apps.

I really hope this gets you straight. Definitely not cool how much data it is sucking. This is a great phone, you should enjoy it, not fight it like you have had to do.

PM with any Questions

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well today after the reset this morning there is 30mb of android os data. Much better then before, and having started everything from new its probably a going to be a little high. Hopefully tomorrow it will settle to normal numbers.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well just got back from my trip and the results are in.

Before I left home for our trip, wifi chewed up 60.5mb, kinda makes sense as I was re-syncing apps and getting the phone back into a running state. We left yesterday morning till now on full mobile and I used 7.68mb!!!

Looks like things are back to realistic usage. Thanks for everyone's help!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Twitter
    d1l777
    Good to hear man, I'm glad it's back down for you. How many of your old apps have you restored? I'm still really curious as to what was really causing so much data usage.

PM with any Questions

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    42 apps altogether have been downloaded after I factory reset. I think I was just under 200 before.

I don't think we'll ever know unless someone creates a way to track android os usage to find out who's taking advantage and what exactly its doing... I'll be watching it like a hawk for the next while to see how it does.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Twitter
    d1l777
    Wow 200 apps. I've only got like 40 installed at a time. It could have been anything. Hopefully it stays down for you. All you can do is keep an eye on it.

PM with any Questions

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Ads