Register

WiFi symbol goes grey and wifi stops working

This is a discussion on WiFi symbol goes grey and wifi stops working within the Galaxy Nexus Help forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Support Forum category; Hi Everyone, Sometimes when on certain WiFi networks my connection will die and they wifi symbol in the status bar turns grey, verses blue like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Milky Way
    Member #

WiFi symbol goes grey and wifi stops working

Hi Everyone,

Sometimes when on certain WiFi networks my connection will die and they wifi symbol in the status bar turns grey, verses blue like it is when Wifi is working. Though it still shows 2-4 bars it turns grey. I was wondering what that means and if there is any way to prevent it.

Like I said it only happens on certain wifi networks so it is probably the networks' fault. I was just trying to get some insight into what my phone is trying to tell me.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    When the symbols are blue (either 3G/4G or WiFi), it means you're connected to Google's servers. When they're grey, you're not.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Today i got my internet connected and my WIFI is still grey. I take it to work and its blue, i connect it to my pocket wifi, its blue but not on my home wifi router. I did not have this issue at my old house where it used to connect fine via wifi.
    I've forgotten and re-added it, double checked all setting in the router but still nothing.
    I can browse the web, refresh my email inbox but google talk won't send message (and that is a big boooo, as i use that heaps!)
    Can anyone shed some light.
    Router is a Linksys WRT310

Milky Way
    Member #
    You know the only thing I didn't do was to reset my phone. Seems the most obvious and funny enough it worked. I'm blue again.
    Just a ditz moment on my part.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Milky Way
    Member #
    I have the same issue, but only when I'm at work. My guess is that there is a firewall setup that blocks Google services (and all push notifications). Otherwise my wifi connection is fine.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Any idea of the ports the nexus uses to connect to Google. My guess is its the HTML port 80. Today I came home from work and its done it again. Was blue at home before work, blue at work and when I come back home, grey.
    Go figure.

Milky Way
    Member #
    So the ongoing saga continues. I factory reset my phone this morning and it dis the same again this afternoon when I got game from work.
    Surely someone has some ideas?

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I have the same problem. I have to turn off the wifi and turn it back on in order to reconnect. the problem started after the 4.02 update.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I used to have this issue only at my house with wifi on my OG Droid. I would have to switch to 3g and do that for a while then I could switch back to wifi. If I switched back to wifi immediately after turning it off, it would take up to 2 minutes sometimes to go blue again.
    Long story short, it ended up being my wireless router. My wife and I had 2 laptops a desktop an ipad2 and 2 smartphones connected to the router and it would drop us randomly. I switched routers to a good one and now I haven't dropped once.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sdzell18 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Sometimes when on certain WiFi networks my connection will die and they wifi symbol in the status bar turns grey, verses blue like it is when Wifi is working. Though it still shows 2-4 bars it turns grey. I was wondering what that means and if there is any way to prevent it.

Like I said it only happens on certain wifi networks so it is probably the networks' fault. I was just trying to get some insight into what my phone is trying to tell me.

Thanks!
    I have this problem with my new Belkin dual band N600db router. I have tried every trick I can find. have you found a solution? I had no problem on my previous router, (cisco single band) I'm wondering if it has something to do with the dual band. It has 2 separate SSID's, one for each band. It doesn't matter which one i connect to, it says connected starts out blue with a good signal than after a few seconds greys out. 3G and 4G work fine and my old router wifi worked fine and other wifi's work. Any ideas will be appreciated
    Last edited by mbrewzer; 01-21-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads