Register

Android File Transfer for Mac

This is a discussion on Android File Transfer for Mac within the Galaxy Nexus Help forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Support Forum category; I have repeatedly tried using the android file transfer on my mac to move my music onto my gn. works fine UNTIL i drag and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Milky Way
    Member #

Android File Transfer for Mac

I have repeatedly tried using the android file transfer on my mac to move my music onto my gn. works fine UNTIL i drag and drop onto the phone.

these are the two messages i get:

1 - "can't access device storage - if your device's screen is locked, disconnect its USB cable, unlock your screen, and then reconnect the USB cable"
    2 - "could not create folder - Try reconnecting or restarting your device"

i make sure my screen is not locked but i get the message anyways. this is my first experience with android (coming from iPhone) and I'm extremely frustrated. is there no way to sync my files wirelessly?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There is a free app called isyncr for mac that worked when I had the DX. I haven't tried it with the GN as I have no issue transferring with the Android file transfer. All photos, documents, music and video transfer fine. All I do is plug in USB and it opens my phone contents on the mac. I can drag and drop no problem but I can't move around. If I need to move anything on the phone I use astro file manager. What Mac OS do you have?

I do, however, have an issue with the music album artwork not transferring for most of the albums from iTunes. Anyone have the answer for that?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Vega
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kev12345 View Post
    I have repeatedly tried using the android file transfer on my mac to move my music onto my gn. works fine UNTIL i drag and drop onto the phone.

these are the two messages i get:

1 - "can't access device storage - if your device's screen is locked, disconnect its USB cable, unlock your screen, and then reconnect the USB cable"
    2 - "could not create folder - Try reconnecting or restarting your device"

i make sure my screen is not locked but i get the message anyways. this is my first experience with android (coming from iPhone) and I'm extremely frustrated. is there no way to sync my files wirelessly?
    Use Google music. Log on to Google music from your mac. Download the app to your computer. Upload the music and it will show up on your phone. You can than choose, what you want to make available off line. Depending on how often or how much time, you spend in an area where you can't get a signal or wifi, 30 to 50 tracks are sufficient.

The vast majority of the time, as long as you have any kind of connection to the internet, you have access up to 20,000 tracks that you have uploaded. A lot of people are hesitant to get the GN because it doesn't have an SD card. I was that way at first. The truth is how often am I somewhere without any access to the internet and I have the time to listen to more than 2hrs of music??

Go to the how too, support section of this forum, you will find some mac specific suggestions. Also free to PM me, if your stuck.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1624 times
    Let me also throw in to the mix..I have a Mac and the cable that came with Gnex I was having issues laptop reading it ..I've used my old Droid X cable since and no issues with transfers...

Sent from elGato's G-Nex
    thru blue tapatalk..
    Guidelines of Conduct for GalaxyNexusForum.com
    "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"

Vega
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bkdodger View Post
    Let me also throw in to the mix..I have a Mac and the cable that came with Gnex I was having issues laptop reading it ..I've used my old Droid X cable since and no issues with transfers...

Sent from elGato's G-Nex
    thru blue tapatalk..
    I had the reverse experience. I can charge but the data cable won't work for transferring files.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Files I transfer to my Galaxy Nexus don't show up. For example if I send something to my downloads folder it shows as transferred in the Mac OS Android File Transfer app, but it does not show up on my phone.

Of all the things I've had to do so far on the Nexus this has proven to be the most frustrating. I've been at this for 3 hours now. ( Using MacOS 10.6.8 + Android File Transfer 1.0 ).

There are no errors in the AFT on Mac while doing any transfers.

At this point I'm digging through various third party apps to get around the problem. DoubleTwist for music and most iTunes content for example. I'm kind of miffed that the bloody Mac OS and ICS don't talk to each other.

Vega
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Seem to be an issue with usb cable. Im using my old n1 cable and works great. Keep in mind that transfering files of more than 4 gb can/will result in a fail.

Unlocked - Rooted GSM GNex
    JellyBelly v3-4.1.1
    Franco's Kernel Nightly #217 512GPU
    Videotron
    iPeckWorks©
    OS X 10.7.3

Milky Way
    Member #
    An update:

I snagged the app 'File Manager' off the android app store and the weirdness grows.

I can see the following things:

1) in my downloads folder there is the file I transferred using AFT. It is set to -rw permissions. So AFT is putting files there, but the OS is not recognizing them when AFT is the transfer method.

2) files I download directly on the Nexus show up with -rw permissions.

3) AFT is not displaying 50% of the folders on the Nexus. For example in 'File Manager' I see there is a kindle folder ( empty ) for my kindle books - but AFT does not show this folder. Permissions on the folder are drw.

4) If you make a folder in AFT that already exists on the Nexus ( for example 'kindle' ) it will crash AFT when you try to do a file transfer.

5) AFT routinely crashes or fails to recognize the phone.

So, over all, I'd say dealing with a Nexus with your Mac is a big nightmare mostly because AFT is totally broken. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it half a dozen times, it hasn't helped. Anyone have some advice here?

Milky Way
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by iPeckNexus View Post
    Seem to be an issue with usb cable. Im using my old n1 cable and works great. Keep in mind that transfering files of more than 4 gb can/will result in a fail.

I've tried the USB cable that came with the Nexus and another USB cable of the same type, both have similar results. Any other ideas?

Milky Way
    Member #
    Another Update:

Sixth time's the charm? I re-installed Android File Transfer, *again*. Restarted the Nexus, again. Tried a third party USB cable, again.

I now see all the folders on the phone. I'm still having regular crashing of AFT & I keep having to restart my phone to get the OS to see stuff I add via AFT and AFT to see stuff added via the OS.

All in all - really crappy software.

Ads