Register

Diagnosing Battery Life Problems

This is a discussion on Diagnosing Battery Life Problems within the Galaxy Nexus Help forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Support Forum category; I'm not getting horrible battery life on my Nexus (stock, unrooted), but it has been disappointing. My fiance and I got our Nexus phones on ...

Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By reggie14
  • 1 Post By Mujibar
  • 2 Post By fish1552
  • 2 Post By bhfd64
  • 1 Post By holly

Thread: Diagnosing Battery Life Problems

  1. #1
    Milky Way
    Member #
    2772
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3

    Diagnosing Battery Life Problems

    I'm not getting horrible battery life on my Nexus (stock, unrooted), but it has been disappointing. My fiance and I got our Nexus phones on release day, and I went out a few days later and got the extended battery. Yet, I actually seem to get worse battery life, even on days when our usage patterns match pretty closely. Looking at the battery usage statistics in ICS, the main difference is with Android OS. My Android OS CPU time is usually 2-3 times that of her's, and the awake time for Android OS is usually 5-6 times that of her's. My awake time is usually close to 25%, regardless of how much I actually use the device. I think it was actually worse before, but restarting my phone about once per day seems to help.

    Today wasn't a particularly bad day, but my usage statistics again how abnormally high Android OS cpu and awake times. I've posted some screenshots from the ICS settings and BetterBatteryStats that had some interesting data.

    Notably, after almost 10 hours off the charger, Android OS used 30% of the battery, with 44min of CPU time and 2h18min of awake time.

    In the partial wakelocks screens of BetterBatteryStatistics, the three big things were NetworkLocationPassiveCollector, RILJ, and NetworkLocationLocator. But, I should point out I didn't use Google Maps at all today, or anything else that should have been querying my location much. I have no idea why the dialer (RILJ, as I understand it) is keeping my phone awake.

    I'm not sure if the Kernel wakelocks screen is abnormal, but it seems weird to have so much activity from the PowerManagerService.

    Any ideas? This is getting kind of frustrating. I'm not sure what to do. I'm basically planning to wait for 4.0.3 in the hopes that will fix something. If it doesn't help I might try a factory reset. And if that doesn't help, I might try to get Verizon to swap out my phone for a new Nexus.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dzseno likes this.

  2. # ADS
    Ads


  3. #2
    Vega
    Member #
    422
    Liked
    23 times
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NYC, NY
    Posts
    592
    Root, root, root. Then flash axiom 2.4 and the phone will rock your world as much as a phone can. I'm a heavy user and I can get up to 9hrs on a standard and 12hrs on an extended. On a day with light usage, more. Between the updated radio, rom, and kernel, it will be completely another experience. Only when you root and start flashing roms will you understand the true excitement over this phone.
    People seem to be having a good experience with wug's one root method. I have a mac so, it was different for me. Go to utube and search for videos on unlocking the bootloader and rooting the galaxy nexus. There videos of how to install different roms. There is an entire international community that are actively working on making this one of the greatest phones.
    Speaker volume, speed, and battery life has already improved drastically since release date.

    By the way almost always have bluetooth, 4g, and wifi on. I use anywhere from 2 to 3 hrs on the average of display being on. There is a developer from Spain, Franco, who has developed a kernel that addresses the awake time battery usage. If you have never flashed a rom or a kernel, there is a good article that explains what it can do.

    http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24601

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Justifi; 01-09-2012 at 12:06 AM.

  4. #3
    Administrator
    Member #
    7
    Liked
    1736 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    16,051
    Rooting & modding your phone is not for everyone. Please read up on it and make sure you know what you're doing before attempting anything. We'll be here to answer any questions you have.

    Tap'd from my GNex
    holly likes this.

  5. #4
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    116
    Liked
    538 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Savannah area of Coastal Georgia, USA
    Posts
    2,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Justifi View Post
    Root, root, root. Then flash axiom 2.4 and the phone will rock your world as much as a phone can. <snip>
    I gotta agree with Mujibar. Just telling someone to root without knowing their situation or understanding of those types of things is irresponsible. That should NEVER be the first solution offered and should only be a suggestion as to one possible way to maybe fix something. For someone that does not understand the risks vs. advantages, you are possibly putting them on a road to a bad Android experience.
    Also, I do NOT have a ROM installed on *my* phone (that's not saying I haven't been looking at some though), but I get the same amazing experience as someone that runs a ROM, albeit slightly different. IMO, the experience is in the hardware first, the software second. So not running anything but stock can still give the average user one heck of an experience.

    As for the OP, I would go back through some of your apps and check to see if one of them is possibly causing the OS to stay awake. Sometimes, a seemingly innocent app can do something that isn't intended and even the dev may not intend it to do something like change the state of the phone like it was intended. So removing and one-by-one re-adding your apps might help figure out if one is hogging resources and burning up your battery.
    You may also want to try reducing the background process limit (I think it defaults to 5?). Go under Settings . Developer Options > Background process limit. Or even try "Don't keep activities" and see if that helps.

    If you are in a strictly 3G area, try changing your network mode to CDMA only to keep it from searching for a 4G signal. Settings > More... > Mobile Networks > Network Mode.

    Try those and see if your battery life changes. I get a good 8-10 hours of battery life out of my regular battery, so I know it is possible. Now, I'm on wireless a good portion of that time, so that helps, but your short time is way under par from what some others are getting. I hope it's something easy that we can help you find.

  6. #5
    Rescue Squad
    Member #
    40
    Liked
    327 times
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Hellinois
    Posts
    2,269
    Make it a third for not blindly telling someone to root their phone. I tend to think it's an app keeping the phone awake. Fish threw out a plethora of good ideas.

    Tapped via Galaxy Nexus LTE..
    Mujibar and holly like this.
    -Stephen
    Need Help? Don't panic (yet) Call the Rescue Squad!

    "On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs"

  7. #6
    Moderator
    Member #
    161
    Liked
    130 times
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by fish1552 View Post
    I gotta agree with Mujibar. Just telling someone to root without knowing their situation or understanding of those types of things is irresponsible. That should NEVER be the first solution offered and should only be a suggestion as to one possible way to maybe fix something. For someone that does not understand the risks vs. advantages, you are possibly putting them on a road to a bad Android experience.
    Muj, Fish you guys are great. Have observed this urge to root far too often and it always irritated me for precisely the reasons you stated. Additionally, as an educator myself, I'd rather make sure the basics are mastered first before heading into advanced territory.

    The tech savvy will get there and are not likely to be held back by anyone here but until you know the skills of whom you're dealing with, going slow is the right approach.



    sent from my stock non-rooted Nexus
    Mujibar likes this.

  8. #7
    Rescue Squad
    Member #
    1202
    Liked
    166 times
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    483
    First thing I would ask is do you have things checked in the Settings/Location Services section? If so, uncheck those first and see if your battery life improves.

    Second, as noted in a lot threads on a lot of forums, there are some phones that have a problem with the Android OS and the "Keep Awake" time. There seems to be an issue with some phones not truly going to sleep when the power button is used to turn off the screen as opposed to letting the screen turn off automatically when the screen times out. This results in a very high time in the Settings/Battery/Android OS/Keep Awake menu.

    In stock form, my "Keep Awake" time was always about 50-60% of my total battery time. If the phone had been off charger for 8 hours, I'd have 4-6 hours of Andorid OS "Keep Awake" time. This was true even if the phone had been in my pocket unused and seems to be a result of my habit of turning the screen off manually with the power button every single time. I used to never let the screen timeout.

    Then I saw this a few days ago:

    Originally Posted by franciscofranco
    Hi everyone.

    Important stuff:
    About the battery I want you people to test this: Reboot your phone, then after it booted up open up Camera, then close it. I think we have the same bug as we had on the NS. Google Talk Video version opens the camera during boot and its sensor gets fired up and since the camera isn't closed the sensor just stays there open in the background wasting battery like there was no tomorrow. Opening and closing the Camera after booting up closes the sensor and then the GN enters in Sleep mode just fine (easy to check with Cpu Spy). If more people can confirm my initial testing then we may "have" found one of the possible battery drains when the phone is idle.

    My personal fix has been the Axiom roms. I think it was first fixed with either 2.1 or 2.2. I'm on 2.4 now and the Keep Awake issue is no longer an issue for me. YMMV!

    Good luck.
    Baton Rouge, LA

  9. #8
    Milky Way
    Member #
    2772
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by fish1552 View Post
    I gotta agree with Mujibar. Just telling someone to root without knowing their situation or understanding of those types of things is irresponsible. That should NEVER be the first solution offered and should only be a suggestion as to one possible way to maybe fix something.
    I rooted my last phone, an Evo 4G, but never ran custom ROMs. I didn't have much of a reason to- mainly I just wanted to run wifi tether, and I played with SetCPU too to increase battery life. SetCPU definitely helps battery life, but it made my phone much, much less responsive.

    In any event, I'd prefer not to root my phone this time around. I'd like to be able to bring in my phone to the Verizon store if need be, and take OTA updates. I basically never updated my last phone after I rooted it because it was going to be too much work, since it sounded like the update process would always wipe the phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by fish1552 View Post
    As for the OP, I would go back through some of your apps and check to see if one of them is possibly causing the OS to stay awake. Sometimes, a seemingly innocent app can do something that isn't intended and even the dev may not intend it to do something like change the state of the phone like it was intended. So removing and one-by-one re-adding your apps might help figure out if one is hogging resources and burning up your battery.
    Did you look at my screenshots? It looks like Android OS is keeping my phone awake, not an app. BetterBatteryStats seems to primarily attribute it to NetworkLocationPassiveCollector, RILJ, and NetworkLocationLocator. Google Maps might be responsible for the location stuff, since I'm also seeing oddly large resource usage from Google Maps (keep awake time of 17 minutes for only 40 seconds of use), although other people online seem to be suggested those two location processes are more about scanning of wifi networks for location purposes. I can't disable/uninstall RILJ.

    Quote Originally Posted by fish1552 View Post
    If you are in a strictly 3G area, try changing your network mode to CDMA only to keep it from searching for a 4G signal. Settings > More... > Mobile Networks > Network Mode.
    That certainly helps battery life general (although I do have an LTE signal almost everywhere I go), but my awake times are still 5x that of my fiance's Galaxy Nexus for the same level of usage. Really I'm just trying to get similar performance out of my Galaxy Nexus as my fiance's.

  10. #9
    Milky Way
    Member #
    2772
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouFlyFisher View Post
    First thing I would ask is do you have things checked in the Settings/Location Services section? If so, uncheck those first and see if your battery life improves.
    It certainly would improve battery life, but I use location services from time-to-time. I don't want to have to go into the settings every time I want to use location-based services. My fiance's Galaxy Nexus has location services on without it eating so much battery life.

    Quote Originally Posted by BayouFlyFisher View Post
    Second, as noted in a lot threads on a lot of forums, there are some phones that have a problem with the Android OS and the "Keep Awake" time. There seems to be an issue with some phones not truly going to sleep when the power button is used to turn off the screen as opposed to letting the screen turn off automatically when the screen times out. This results in a very high time in the Settings/Battery/Android OS/Keep Awake menu.
    I saw that too, but I'm not entirely convinced whoever came up with that idea got it right. I do have some weird Android OS components keeping the phone awake. And its not that the phone doesn't go to sleep- my awake time stats show that my phone goes to sleep, but the dialer and location services seems to wake it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by BayouFlyFisher View Post
    About the battery I want you people to test this: Reboot your phone, then after it booted up open up Camera, then close it. I think we have the same bug as we had on the NS. Google Talk Video version opens the camera during boot and its sensor gets fired up and since the camera isn't closed the sensor just stays there open in the background wasting battery like there was no tomorrow. Opening and closing the Camera after booting up closes the sensor and then the GN enters in Sleep mode just fine (easy to check with Cpu Spy). If more people can confirm my initial testing then we may "have" found one of the possible battery drains when the phone is idle.
    If this was it, wouldn't a camera-related process show up in BetterBatteryStats?

 

 

Remove Ads

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. which is best based on battery life and speed/performance
    By b_wat232 in forum Galaxy Nexus ROMs [LTE/CDMA]
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 04:16 PM
  2. best things to do to extend battery life?
    By DancesWithFarts in forum Galaxy Nexus General Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 06:25 PM
  3. Battery life
    By shizumie in forum Galaxy Nexus General Discussion
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 12-31-2011, 09:38 PM
  4. Interesting battery life on android observation
    By kermit_xc in forum Galaxy Nexus General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 12:57 PM

Search tags for this page

android os stay awake
,
android rilj
,
android rilj wakelock
,

android troubleshooting wakelock

,
android wakelock troubleshooting
,
networklocationlocator
,
networklocationlocator battery
,

networklocationlocator wakelock

,
partial wakelock rilj
,

rilj

,
rilj android
,

rilj partial wakelock

,

rilj wakelock

,
rilj wakelock fix
,
wakelock rilj
Click on a term to search for related topics.