Register

forgot PIN, not prompted to login w/ google

This is a discussion on forgot PIN, not prompted to login w/ google within the Galaxy Nexus Help forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Support Forum category; Hey guys, I could use a little help here. I was showing off facial recognition to some family, set it up like normal and at ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Milky Way
    Member #

forgot PIN, not prompted to login w/ google

Hey guys, I could use a little help here. I was showing off facial recognition to some family, set it up like normal and at the end of the recognition setup I obviously put in a backup PIN. Well, I seem to have forgotten that PIN. I have no idea how to reset it, I was going to do a factory reset but that prompted my PIN, i cant even remove face unlock and return to a slide unlock anymore because going into security requires a PIN as well. This is extremely annoying, I need to figure out how to remove and change the PIN. It's obviously linked to my google account, so I'm not sure why it isnt just prompting me to log in with google when i incorrectly enter the PIN so many times like it did on my old Droid X.

Could really use some help, thanks in advance guys!

Also, my apologies if theres already a thread related to this topic.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arfalzar View Post
    Hey guys, I could use a little help here. I was showing off facial recognition to some family, set it up like normal and at the end of the recognition setup I obviously put in a backup PIN. Well, I seem to have forgotten that PIN. I have no idea how to reset it, I was going to do a factory reset but that prompted my PIN, i cant even remove face unlock and return to a slide unlock anymore because going into security requires a PIN as well. This is extremely annoying, I need to figure out how to remove and change the PIN. It's obviously linked to my google account, so I'm not sure why it isnt just prompting me to log in with google when i incorrectly enter the PIN so many times like it did on my old Droid X.

Could really use some help, thanks in advance guys!

Also, my apologies if theres already a thread related to this topic.
    You're not going to like my suggestion: Power the phone down and boot into recovery and factory reset the phone. Just understand that this wipes every thing (and I mean EVERYTHING!) off your phone and it starts over just like it came out of the box.

Good luck.
    Baton Rouge, LA

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    You may want to describe how to get into recovery mode. Is it, with phone powered off, hold down power button and volume down button?

Sent from my stock non-rooted Nexus

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    I've only done it when I soft bricked my phone, but I think you hold the Volume Up and Down keys while pressing the power button.

Here's the instructions when you soft brick and have a custom recovery, but this may apply to the OP's situation too except this would take him to the stock recovery and not to CWR. I'm only including this as just in case he ends up at the Android of the open hatch icon (but I don't think he will):

If you get bootlooped or other non-recoverable issue:

1. Pull battery and replace it.
    2. Hold down the up and the down volume key and press the power button.
    3. You have a screen that shows the android with an open hatch and the word Start above it.
    4. Use the up and down keys to navigate to the “Recovery Mode” menu
    5. Press the Power Button to reboot into Recovery (CWR)
    6. Reinstall your rom or restore a backup.
    Baton Rouge, LA

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    537 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouFlyFisher View Post
    ...but I think you hold the Volume Up and Down keys while pressing the power button.
    ^^^ Yes, this. ^^^

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Assuming the OP is not rooted and we're therefore interested in stock recovery and not CW, does step 5/6 change?

Trying not to hijack thread but I cleared cache in stock recovery often with my Droid X and didn't yet know how to do it with the GN. Will one get the usual menu with options to reboot, reset, clear (format )cache ? Many thanks

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Yeah, if you aren't rooted and don't have clockworkmod recovery flashed, step 5 will boot you into stock recovery with options to wipe data, wipe cache, etc.

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Thank you!

Ads