Register

Advice on other Mods/hacks..etc

This is a discussion on Advice on other Mods/hacks..etc within the Galaxy Nexus Hacking & Mods [LTE/CDMA] forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Development category; I've changed roms ever since i first rooted, this past month and a half like i've changed my clothes...lol..(thats saying a lot coming from a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Advice on other Mods/hacks..etc

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Advice on other Mods/hacks..etc

I've changed roms ever since i first rooted, this past month and a half like i've changed my clothes...lol..(thats saying a lot coming from a chick). its like crack! I can't get enough. All this control makes me feel like god or something. I can't believe, the whole time I had my droidx i didn't get up the nerve to do it.

Anyway, point being... i've got the rom thing down pat. I need a new fix.

1)what other mods/hacks...etc (like kernels, radios..and well, i guess thats all i know of) can I learn to do for aesthetics and performance? (i'm a damn quick study so don't hold back)
    2)how do i go about choosing kernels...etc... to go with the new rom i just flashed like 10 minutes ago (aokp jb-1)
    3)how do i change that freaking boring google splash before the boot screen? makes me feel like i'm borrowing it from them and i don't own my own phone...kinda like the whole "locked/warranty" crap. how dare they?
    4)My preferences are that I have the most options for customization...optimal performance over battery, but a nice balance is good too. How do I decide what will exemplify these characteristics while making sure they are still compatible with my rom?

had more questions, just can't think of them right now.
    any help...partial...theoretical...a hello...whatever...is appreciated greatly!

thanks,
    The only dumb questions are the ones not asked.
    Ignorance is not bliss...it is merely a belated reality.

AOKP Jelly Bean - 1, LTE,

Home launchers -
    SPB 3D Mobile Shell
    Go Launcher
    Apex

~NAMASTE~

2. # ADS
    Ads

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Da far north, home of back bacon and hoseheads
    Nice choice on the ROM. I am liking it so far, though as it's build 1, it is lacking some of the usual AOKP tweaks. But they will come quickly I am sure of it. I wasn't expecting build 1 for a few more weeks or so.

Everything Jelly Bean for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus - The SuperUser's Guide

I found the Samurai Akira Kernel from that link. My new favorite.....for stability, speed AND great battery life.......AND the trippiest boot animation around in my opinion. Using CPUSpy I could see that it would go into Deep Sleep mode more than any other I have tried. My battery graph sometimes looked like a flatline......is this thing working ? lol

As far as getting rid of the Google splash screen, I am as interested as you, but unfortunately have not found anything on that yet. I have a feeling its hard coded into the phone somehow. I too wish I could get rid of it, and the lock symbol.

As far as which is the best combo, and how to tell. Really, there is no way other than to try it out. Try your new ROM. Give it at the bare minimum a day or two (but a week is better IMO) with your usual apps and settings that you normally run. Watch stability, speed and battery life. Once satisfied you have a good idea how it will run for you, back it up by your favorite means. Then try and flash another kernel. Unfortunately, one ROM/kernel combination may kick ass for one user, but for another it might eat battery like no tomorrow, or crash even, or simply not be snappy enough. Of course you can read the associated thread of a rom or a kernel to get a general idea how it should behave, and how it is for most users.

I personally recommend JellyBelly V3 w/ Awesome Beats if you want a super stable JellyBean rom. It was the first JB rom I tried. VERY limited in customs. But smooth and snappy and with Samurai Akira Kernel I was getting phenomonal battery life as well.
    As well I recommend AOKP build 1, but you beat me to it. I combined it with the latest Samurai Akira kernel and it seems to rock for me.

So just keep flashing, and reading, and backing up !!! <------last one very important. Don't get carried away like I did, and accidentally wipe your backups and all other data from your SD-Card, AFTER I had wiped all current ROM/cache/system data from the phone. You do that ...........and that Google screen will be the only thing you'll see . It was fixable, but it had me sweating until I got help from users on this site and Wug's Root Toolkit. Thankfully I saved copies of my backups onto my PC just in case.

One important thing for you to remember right now is that not all apps have been optimized for JellyBean based roms yet. And even ones that have been, still are going to need time to iron the bugs out. So take that into consideration if an app misbehaves, or causes other issues with your setup.

I am by no means in any way even close to as knowledgeable as most of the users on this site, so hopefully one of them can chime in and give you ( and me ) some new ideas.

P.S. There are several apps that allow for great customizing and creating your own personal setup as well don't forget, like U.C.C.W. , MissedIt , WidgetLocker etc etc. RayHodge and a few others on this site do amazing things with U.C.C.W. You should check out the skins thread, as well check out the Home-Screenshots thread. If you like something I am sure most users are willing to share their insights or ideas.

Good luck ........ and if you flash me, I'll flash you........
    HotFlashes likes this.
    Galaxy Nexus (GSM):
    ICS: 4.1.1 ROM: JB-AOKP Build 1 Kernel: Samurai Akira Kernel

Acer Iconia a500 tab:

ICS: 4.0.3 ROM: FlexReaper RF-1 Extreem Edition rv2 Kernel: Tweaked stock

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Twitter
    d1l777

Re: Advice on other Mods/hacks..etc

To change the Google splash screen before the boot animation you will need an app called Logo Me from the play store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ezekeel.logome

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    valkillmore and HotFlashes like this.

PM with any Questions
    GTalk available upon Request

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    537 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Quote Originally Posted by d1L777 View Post
    To change the Google splash screen before the boot animation you will need an app called Logo Me from the play store.

^^ +1 this. While the logo was the same size as the original Google logo the first time I did it, when I changed it the second time, it now shows in the entire bottom half of my screen. Not sure if it is a bug or due to an update, but I like it regardless.

As for kernels, I'm running AOKP and using one of the Trinity ones - just not sure which voltages off hand. Problem with kernels is, what one person has success with, may not be what works on your specific device. We could both have the same ROM & kernel and get different results. So I would suggest trying each for 2 days or so. According to some users, some kernels seem to have a sort of "settling in" period of a few hours or even up to a day. So give it some time and see how you like it before writing any of them off.

But lockscreen mods are some good things to do, as are the softkey mods. There are threads on both here in the forums.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by d1L777 View Post

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Great ! Thank you ! Checking it out now
    HotFlashes likes this.
    Galaxy Nexus (GSM):

Acer Iconia a500 tab:

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    (OK I replied to this last night....I also uploaded two pictures, which took forever...thank goodness for auto-save...anyway)

Wow thanks guys. Lots of great ideas to consider. I've heard of both the Samaria and Trinity kernels. Heard good things about Franco too.

@valkillmore - i will be prepared for the variance in results between different users. The first one I tried was Vanirbean or something like that if I recall correctly. It also seemed to be pretty stable and it seemed pretty simple. It was the first time I saw the recovery option on reboot..lol I like to have flipped out. I've started a list of things to do and I've added the Samaria kernel...to check into U.C.C.W. MissedIt , WidgetLocker, RayHodge. The skin thread seems familiar. Well not the thread but I think I played around with UCCW for a short time before I flashed like 6 roms ago and I totally forgot about it. I didn't come close to checking out all it has to offer but there looks like some great ideas on there for when I get some more time. Thanks... (and ps...you first..lol )

@d1L777 & fish1552 The first thing I did was snag that Logo Me. Freaking awesome! I don't mind it being half the height, but what I mind is no matter how I save the image on Photoshop, it comes out looking like crap. I'm THRILLED to death that I see an option for it now, but the image gets all screwy once the program "compresses" it. I have 2 screen shots for b4 and after. Any ideas? Tips? I haven't begun to work on the lock area yet, but I have something specific I want for them both but I have to get this one right.

forever10.jpg2012-08-26 02.57.53.jpg

Home launchers -
    SPB 3D Mobile Shell
    Go Launcher
    Apex

~NAMASTE~

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    My new opening logo............

Breaking Bad cropped and shrunk.png

.......freakin' love it ! Thanks guys !

Good luck with your ventures HotFlashes !
    Galaxy Nexus (GSM):

Acer Iconia a500 tab:

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    GL2U2...

btw, did it turn out that crisp looking for you? i've tried so many different ways of saving it on photoshop and it looks clean, yet it stilll turns out looking like it was created in watercolor and someone sprayed it with Lysol. my bootanimations have never turned out that way.

and love your logo!

Home launchers -
    SPB 3D Mobile Shell
    Go Launcher
    Apex

~NAMASTE~

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Yes, it comes out super clear. I would say even tighter than the sample shot as the dimensions are smaller so the quality looks even sharper.

I start with real high quality, high resolution shots, then resize them down by percentage scaling using M.S. Paint or GIMP. I don't know if this actually helps you........

.......I don't use PhotoShop, so I can't really suggest anything for that program, sorry.

EDIT: I noticed with GIMP that if I don't resize the percentages down evenly ie. down to 40 % original on BOTH width and heigth......then the image went a little fuzzy. GIMP likes to change your setting slightly it seems. I resized to 40 % for example on height, but width went to 40.85 % (example). The end result was a fuzzy picture. With Paint, it resizes the two dimensions evenly, I assume then leaving the ratio intact. No issues what so ever when using Paint. Not sure even if this could be the reason, just taking a shot in the dark.
    Last edited by valkillmore; 08-27-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    Galaxy Nexus (GSM):

Acer Iconia a500 tab:

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    OK thanks...I'll try that. I typed in the dimensions on PS when I started and gave it a pretty high resolution. Maybe too high for it to handle. I was using the max size allowed 720 x 595. maybe i should shoot for smaller size and resolution if that doesn't work. I'm sure it will though because it makes sense that paint will automatically change the resolution for me...at least that the theory.

Home launchers -
    SPB 3D Mobile Shell
    Go Launcher
    Apex

~NAMASTE~

Ads