Register

OverClocking and Volting

This is a discussion on OverClocking and Volting within the Galaxy Nexus Hacking & Mods [LTE/CDMA] forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Development category; Hey guys, I'm wondering about over clocking and under volting. I think in reading so many forums over the years that that is what I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By nerdslogic

Thread: OverClocking and Volting

Milky Way
    Member #

OverClocking and Volting

Hey guys,

I'm wondering about over clocking and under volting. I think in reading so many forums over the years that that is what I want to do to improve performance and battery life. I have SetCPU on my machine and was wondering what settings some of you guys are using. I have the AXIOM ROM with his Kernal that came with 2.4.

If some of you would post some of your profile settings and such and why you set them that way I'd appreciate it. I understand the Over clocking, i think but I don't understand how your machine can overclock at a lower voltage. Etc.

I guess I am just looking to be schooled. If these setting improve performance and battery life why don't they just come with the optimum settings from the factory?

Thanks Guys

Waltassault

2. # ADS
    Ads

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    We will get some posts up but as far as the other questions, all phones are not created equal, some settings work good for some and not for others, and devs will use stable settings to ensure it runs properly, then you can tweak things to your phones likings

...<m(⊙﹏⊙)m>&hellip;
    "​what is that?....wow can I see it?.....can you do that to my phone?......"

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    I'd also love some education on this!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    ^^^ me to I'm good at flashing roms but am afraid to touch those option. I think you just start playing around but would like a little more knowledge on this before I start messing with it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    ok....let's get real here. In order to achieve higher performance it usually comes at the cost of battery life....if it's battery life you seek it typically comes in the form of reduced performance.

Just wanted to that point out

With all that said I have been on a quest to achieve much better performance while getting longer lasting battery life (5 hours kinda sucks). What I have found is 2 things can play a part in this....

• Kernels
    • ROMs

Radio's and such I suppose can create some drain trying to connect or whatever but typically it is a good idea to keep your radio's and such inline with your Kernel and ROM so this doesn't usually become an issue.

Kernel for me seems to play the biggest role.....check this screenshot out. Can you tell where I switched from a "battery" kernel to a "performance" kernel? Here's a hint...you can see the drop in stats when I flashed.

I put ROM's on the list as there are arguments regarding how one ROM is configured vs others and how that affects battery life and performance....for me...and again this is just my experience here....for me AOKP is great for performance....especially if you couple it with Nova Launcher. AOKP has also been good to me on battery...so Kernels have been the biggest difference so far.

Here are my recommendations based off of spending time with both Kernels on the same ROM. If you want a bump in performance (and yes you will notice it) and a good bump in battery life....flash the Faux Kernel found here

[Kernel]GN-LTE[3.0.16]ICS4.0.2/3,UV,GPU+CPU OC,CIFS,FIOPS,OTG(v0.0.9)[Jan-10] - xda-developers

if you want a good bump in performance and a bump in battery life (again you will notice this....unless you are on your phone constantly)....pay the $1.85 and buy this app....download latest kernel...and flash it

https://market.android.com/details?i...8ua2VybmVsIl0.

Either way you go....and this goes for EVERYONE FLASHING DIFFERENT KERNELS....you should seriously consider flashing this inbetween your kernel flashes....it's basically a "Kernel reset"....restores your Kernel to the original stock state....

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

For those who need a break down of how to flash a kernel......basically I do it like this.

• reboot into clockwork
    • backup current ROM
    • WIPE CACHE
    • WIPE DAVLIK
    • flash "Kernel reset"
    • reboot
    • let it "cook" for about 5 minutes (this is AFTER your "android is updating" screen where it goes through all your apps...reboot

then you are pretty much good to go.

Another rule of thumb is unless there are issues....let a kernel sit for a few days (3 days) before flashing another.

Again I am not a developer nor engineer....this is just my understanding on things from my experiences with them.

Just to cover all the bases here with what was mentioned you can get the latest radio's and boot loaders from here

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/12864-rad...diosbasebands/

Just make sure you get the one corresponding to your ROM....what I mean is AOKP is a 4.0.3 so I have the 4.0.3 radio's installed as well as boot loader.
    Last edited by nerdslogic; 01-13-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    NewAge and grapthar like this.
    Looking to get dropbox? Send a request TO ME....I could use the space for the referral....you will get free space too!

Milky Way
    Member #
    Thanks for the education on this.

So in other words you roll with the default settings from other DEV's ROMs and Kernels rather than play with the settings in something like the SetCPU app and just flash until you find a good combo?

I would also like to know if anyone has setup profiles to adjust clocking while screen is off or at night or anything like that.

I was going to do something like that but one thing I am worried the phone will lag when I wake it up and unlock it.

I will definitely try some of these Kernels you recommend assuming they are compatible with my ROM and I make a backup. I did a pretty solid setup on my phone today at work and I wouldn't want to lose that.

Waltassault

Thanks for some of the tips for flashing a kernel as well.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Its extremely easy. Flash an OC kernel of your choice. Install SetCPU, or Android OC. I am using Android OC with profiles for charging, screen on and screen off.
    Just dont check the set at boot until you are sure your settings are stable.
    The franco kernel comes with min freq at 750, which I dont like. I move that to 350 and without an OC app there isnt another way to control freq, unless built into ROM like Gummy and others.
    There is also not a concern between ROM and kernel compatibility, its the version of Android you're ROM is running and the kernel. 99%of ROMs are 4.0.3 and 99% of the kernels are for 4.0.3.
    And I flash kernels without wipes! Call me crazy but I havent suffered illy from the practice, except one.
    Last edited by NewAge; 01-13-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    BBStorm > S2 > DX > DX2 > Galaxy Nexus
    SGT > Xoom

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Problem is that "one" can be the only one you don't want to happen....you know.

Not saying you WILL experience issues if you don't follow my steps....just saying you WONT experience issues if you follow my steps.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdslogic View Post
    Problem is that "one" can be the only one you don't want to happen....you know.

Not saying you WILL experience issues if you don't follow my steps....just saying you WONT experience issues if you follow my steps.
    Very true. I just hate steps. I'm quick and easy and love putting out fires later.
    BBStorm > S2 > DX > DX2 > Galaxy Nexus
    SGT > Xoom

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Enabled hot plug and experienced first random reboot ever with this phone almost 2 hours later

Swyped from my Nexus.
    Looking to get dropbox? Send a request TO ME....I could use the space for the referral....you will get free space too!

Remove Ads

Ads