Register

Flashing your Nexus back to stock to receive updates

This is a discussion on Flashing your Nexus back to stock to receive updates within the Galaxy Nexus Hacking & Mods [LTE/CDMA] forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Development category; Originally Posted by tvBilly Silly question, maybe, but... When I installed CWM, rather than delete "recovery-from-boot.p", I just added ".bak" to it, allowing CWM to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Flashing your Nexus back to stock to receive updates

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    327 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tvBilly View Post
    Silly question, maybe, but...

When I installed CWM, rather than delete "recovery-from-boot.p", I just added ".bak" to it, allowing CWM to survive reboots. If I want to remove CWM, can't I just remove the .bak from recovery-from-boot.p and reboot?

(Stock ROM, just rooted and CWMed)
    Yep, that should work just fine.
    -Stephen
    Need Help? Don't panic (yet) Call the Rescue Squad!

"On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs"

Milky Way
    Member #
    I need to return my nexus to rogers tomorrow.. I have toolkit. i have restored my stock ROM, flashed stock recovery, but im still rooted:S

Milky Way
    Member #
    This too complicated for us novices. From my PC knowledge anytime you mess with command prompts you run great risks of corrupting files. Will just wait until updated ROM containing ICS ver 4.0.4 available. That being unless you know of another way to stay current to updates?

Member #
    Liked
    260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ray6279 View Post
    Will just wait until updated ROM containing ICS ver 4.0.4 available. That being unless you know of another way to stay current to updates?
    I prefer this method personally - why go through all the trouble to restore to stock when the awesome devs in the community will have a stock, rooted (usually debloated) version out ...

And just an FYI there are 4.0.4 ROMs already out:
    IMM30B 4.0.4 | Stock, rooted, deodexed, busybox, insecure boot + mods zips - RootzWiki
    [ROM][V2.0] TeeROM: 4.04 Plus Moar! [3/24] - RootzWiki
    I've run them both and love 4.0.4 ... currently on TeeROM (for several days now) and things are running SMOOTH!!!

Milky Way
    Member #
    Hello,

Not sure if anyone checks this thread anymore(kinda old), but thought to post my issue anyhow.

So I want to flash back to stock recovery, since I can't for the life of me get Android 4.0.4 to install successfully as I currently have Clockworkmod Recovery 5.5.0.8 flashed.

Anyways...I followed all instructions, but for some reason when I open up Command Prompt in the android-sdk-windows/platform-tools folder, and then type in: adb reboot bootloader, my phone reboots as normal, it goes to the Fastboot Mode menu, and so then I type in: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and all it says is < waiting for device > as if there is no device detected, but my Nexus is connected to my computer via USB. So something is definitely amiss. Just not sure what.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Just to make sure, I even typed into Command Prompt, adb devices, and my device was listed.

Please let me know if anyone has any idea why this isn't working.

Thanks!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanTheGamer View Post
    Hello,

Not sure if anyone checks this thread anymore(kinda old), but thought to post my issue anyhow.

So I want to flash back to stock recovery, since I can't for the life of me get Android 4.0.4 to install successfully as I currently have Clockworkmod Recovery 5.5.0.8 flashed.

Anyways...I followed all instructions, but for some reason when I open up Command Prompt in the android-sdk-windows/platform-tools folder, and then type in: adb reboot bootloader, my phone reboots as normal, it goes to the Fastboot Mode menu, and so then I type in: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and all it says is < waiting for device > as if there is no device detected, but my Nexus is connected to my computer via USB. So something is definitely amiss. Just not sure what.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Just to make sure, I even typed into Command Prompt, adb devices, and my device was listed.

Please let me know if anyone has any idea why this isn't working.

Thanks!
    Welcome to the forum Evan! You're almost on the right track, but a couple of things to mention:

- ADB and fastboot are different commands and even if ADB is configured properly, fastboot may not be...to check, you want to use the command "fastboot devices" while in fastboot mode, rather than "adb devices".

- The "waiting for device" error usually means the fastboot drivers aren't configured correctly. This is a great write-up on how to configure them...

a. The best best drivers to try are PdaNet for Android, download and run the 32-bit Windows 7/Vista/XP or 64-bit Windows 7/Vista and follow the instructions to install (selecting Samsung as your device manufacturer if asked).

You can remove pdanet for Android from your phone and pc at a later time without removing the drivers.

b. After the drivers have been installed disconnect the usb cable and shut down your phone. Keep holding the 'Volume Up' and 'Volume Down' buttons and press the 'Power' button to boot the phone into FastBoot Mode.

c. Goto your Control Panel on your PC and open the Device Manager. You want this open so you can see the FastBoot driver is installed or so you can install it manually.

d. Connect the usb cable. In the Device Manager a new item called 'Android 1.0' should pop up and then the driver should install automatically. Once it is installed you will have a new section in the Device Manager called Android Phone without an "!" meaning its installed correctly.

Note 1: If the driver doesnt install automatically then double click on the Android 1.0 item, then click on the driver tab and select 'update driver'. Select 'browse my computer' and then 'Let me pick from a list'. If no items appear in the list then untick 'Show compatible hardware' and find the Android adb driver or Samsung adb driver.

Note 2: If you are still having problems setting up the fastboot drivers then have a read of *THIS* guide which may help you.

Note 3: Samsung Verizon Drivers can be downloaded *HERE*. These drivers will most probably only work on LTE devices.

Note 4: Sprint users may have better luck downloading drivers from *HERE* (click on 'See All Downloads' then select 'Software' at the bottom) if you cant get the automatic drivers to work from the ToolKit.
    Source: http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/forum/galaxy-nexus-hacking-mods-lte-cdma/2576-gnex-toolkit-v7-0-drivers-backup-unlock-root-cwm-flash-mods-much-more-lte.html

Let us know how it goes!

Milky Way
    Member #
    Hi Dippa,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Okay, so I did exactly what you posted, installed the fastboot drivers successfully, at least I think I did, according to the Device Manager.

So once I did that, I turned off my phone, then pressed "Volume Up/Down" then powered up my phone to enter Fastboot mode.

Once in Fastboot mode, plugged my phone back into the computer via usb(detected according to the PdaNet app on my computer).
    In Command Prompt, typed: fastboot devices, and sure enough, my device was listed, just like you said it would be if the fastboot drivers were installed.

Then I restarted my phone. Once it loaded up and everything, I again did what I did last time; opened up Command Prompt, typed in: adb reboot bootloader
    Then once it rebooted into Fastboot mode, typed in: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img, and at last, it did what it was supposed to do.
    Screenshot:

So from what you can see, it seemed like it did work. And on my phone it said: Fastboot status - OKAY - Made me believe it worked also.

So then finally, typed in to CP: fastboot reboot bootloader - And all it did was display a list of commands, rather than do what it was supposed to do, reboot the bootloader.

What I did next was manually from the menu, reboot the bootloader, then I selected "Recovery Mode", and instead of booting into the stock recovery, an Android with a red triangle appeared, so something definitely was a miss.

So not really sure what I did wrong this time...I know I did everything correctly...I thought anyways.

Any ideas?

And thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EvanTheGamer; 06-03-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    I believe the command is adb reboot bootloader not fastboot.

Edit: Also this command "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" where it says recovery.img at the end should be renamed to the exact file name of the recovery file in your platform-tools folder.
    Last edited by paul_gyver; 06-03-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Before you flash anything can you get back to stock? How to get back to stock using Odin

Have you backed up your files and pictures? I see too many desperate cries for help recovering deleted priceless pictures with no solution.

Need to hard reset? How to Hard Reset-Factory Data Reset.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    It looks and sounds like stock recovery was flashed successfully. The screenshot shows what it should show when it's flashed, and the red triangle/exclamation point is what is shown when you enter stock recovery. From the red triangle, you can press both volume buttons at the same time, and it will show the stock recovery menu.

The reason "fastboot reboot bootloader" didn't work is that it needs an extra hyphen for fastboot...so it would be "fastboot reboot-bootloader" instead. So, it sounds like you've successfully flashed it and everything is normal!

Milky Way
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_gyver View Post
    I believe the command is adb reboot bootloader not fastboot.

Edit: Also this command "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" where it says recovery.img at the end should be renamed to the exact file name of the recovery file in your platform-tools folder.
    Yeah, actually, the recovery image is named "recovery.img", so I think it was flashed correctly.

Thanks though!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads