Register

[Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.7 [Updated 08/06/13]

This is a discussion on [Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.7 [Updated 08/06/13] within the Galaxy Nexus Hacking & Mods [LTE/CDMA] forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Development category; Yes, you are correct of course. I guess it did go back to Stock Recovery. I have a question. So, when Verizon did the System ...

Page 205 of 289 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 2889
Like Tree577Likes

Thread: [Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.7 [Updated 08/06/13]

Milky Way
    Member #
    Yes, you are correct of course. I guess it did go back to Stock Recovery. I have a question. So, when Verizon did the System Update and upgraded my phone from v4.0.2 to v4.0.4 did it lock my phone again and unroot the phone, and remove CWM Recovery and put Stock Recovery there? The reason I'm asking is because I think I might need to take it for warranty repair and I want to make sure it's completely stock, locked and unrooted, etc. just like it was when I purchased it. So, I just want to verify that letting Verizon do that system updated did that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by WugFresh View Post
    Yes, v1.4 supports 4.0.4

If you are looking at the android on its back with the exclamation mark, that is stock recovery:
    Android on it's back - red exclamation mark

To root without flashing CWM:
    Root
    Do not flash CWM

To restore stock recovery if you think its gone:
    Flash Stock Recovery

{{ WugFresh }}

Developer
    GalaxyNexusForum.com Developer

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    Twitter
    wugfresh
    Quote Originally Posted by FMinMI View Post
    Sorry to ask but being new I could not find the answer to some of my concerns about rooting even after reading many threads. I have the Verizon version which has been OTA'ed to 4.0.4. The phone was never rooted. I would like to:

1) backup it up 'as is' with all programs/files/data (make a golden image)
    2) root it so that I can try a different ROM, specficially AOKP Build 39
    3) be able to go back to my original 4.0.4 version if I don't like the custom rom BUT would like to keep it rooted for programs like TB and wifi tethering.

My first question is how to do step 1 -- I have used CWM on my touchpad to make full backups and I assume it will work on the GN as well, but I am not sure how to get it installed on the Nexus without rooting it, which will of course erases the data as you mentioned. Is there a good video or step by step instruction to use? Or can I not do a backup 'as it is right now'?

Thanks for your help.

Frank
    Michigan
    You are right that you cannot flash CWM without unlocking first (which ultimately erases all your data). For that reason you cannot make a full backup this way, prior to starting this process. That said, you can take steps to preserve your important data using the utilities provided in this toolkit, and taking some other manual steps (like copying your sdcard over to your comp, and using an app to backup your text messages.

These backup features included in the toolkit work without root, so they provide you with a way to preserve your important data. Full nandroid backups are obviously the best, but you can't do that until you are unlocked and rooted. For detailed information on backing up, please refer to this: Backup & Restore

Once you get your device rooted for the first time, make CWM backup, so you have nice rooted stock build that you can return too, without going through the whole process of flashing stock and re-rooting.

{{ WugFresh }}

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    Twitter
    wugfresh
    Quote Originally Posted by b0z View Post
    I have run into a problem that I'm hoping you guys can help with.
    I used to root kit to try and root the phone.

I unlocked it sucessfully, however when it tried to root it i run into some problems.

When I hit Root button (Permanent CWM) the script starts, I see the device, hit 1 and phone get rebooted into fastboot mode.
    There I see the devide again, hit 1 , it says booting modified image....then goes to waiting for your device to finish booting back up..

Now here is where I run into problems, the phone just stays in fastboot mode, as if nothing happened. If i manually restart it, the script continues,
    but is not able to push the SU files to the phone..

Not sure where to go from here. Additionally if i try to manually go into fastboot and try to go to Recovery mode I get the red triangle.

Any ides what's going wrong?

Thanks.
    What model type do you have? Also, have you simply tried repeating the process? It sounds like its not successfully booting the modified boot.img. Hit me up on gchat if you are still having difficulties.

{{ WugFresh }}

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    Twitter
    wugfresh
    Quote Originally Posted by junayd18 View Post
    Hi,
    I was rooted using toolkit version 1.3 on stock 4.0.2- yakjuxw.
    I got tired of waiting for the 4.0.4 update so i flashed 4.0.4 yakju.
    My device is working fine now and the bootloader is unlocked, but i cant root it again!
    I used the same v1.3 toolkit to root but, after finishing, even after superuser is installed i cant seem to access root i.e. no apps are allowed root permissions. Even root checker from the market says 'your device is not rooted.'
    Can anyone help me?
    Please use v1.4. It will solve your problem, and have no problem rooting your updated 4.0.4 device.

{{ WugFresh }}

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    Twitter
    wugfresh
    Quote Originally Posted by Apota View Post
    Yes, you are correct of course. I guess it did go back to Stock Recovery. I have a question. So, when Verizon did the System Update and upgraded my phone from v4.0.2 to v4.0.4 did it lock my phone again and unroot the phone, and remove CWM Recovery and put Stock Recovery there? The reason I'm asking is because I think I might need to take it for warranty repair and I want to make sure it's completely stock, locked and unrooted, etc. just like it was when I purchased it. So, I just want to verify that letting Verizon do that system updated did that. Thanks!
    Firstly, I am surprised you were even able to update when you had CWM installed, that usually interrupts the update. Did you take an OTA, or did you update some other way, like with and update.zip file? Regardless, to answer your question, updating will unroot your phone, but it will not re-lock it. If you are returning your device for whatever reason, and you want to ensure its stock. The best option is to backup all your important data onto your computer first, following these instructions Backup & Restore or since you are already unlocked, root your device again and make a CWM backup and then copy the /sdcard/clockworkmod folder onto your computer (this is a better backup solution); then, use the "Flash Stock + Unroot" button, followed by the "OEM Lock" button. That will truly bring your device back to square one.

{{ WugFresh }}

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    Twitter
    wugfresh
    Sorry for the late responses everyone, its been a busy past few days for me. I just tried my best to catch backup and answer all your questions. If I happened to miss your question, please re-post it and I will do my best to answer it in a timely fashion. Thanks.

{{ WugFresh }}

Milky Way
    Member #
    Well, I'm pretty sure I had CWM installed, but maybe I'm mistaken. I did it such a long time ago. Yes, I took the OTA update. I was using the phone & all of a sudden I got a notice saying there was a system update & I could do the update now or do it later. So, I did it now and it seemed to update to v4.0.4 with no problems, but maybe it didn't update properly & that's why I'm having so many problems with my phone? My phone says it's v4.0.4 but it doesn't seem to be rooted anymore, but I guess it's still unlocked according to what you said. I don't know how to tell if it is or not. So, I guess I'll just back it up and do the Flash Stock + Unroot and then do the OEM Lock and see what happens. Thanks so much for the quick reply!

Firstly, I am surprised you were even able to update when you had CWM installed, that usually interrupts the update. Did you take an OTA, or did you update some other way, like with and update.zip file? Regardless, to answer your question, updating will unroot your phone, but it will not re-lock it. If you are returning your device for whatever reason, and you want to ensure its stock. The best option is to backup all your important data onto your computer first, following these instructions Backup & Restore or since you are already unlocked, root your device again and make a CWM backup and then copy the /sdcard/clockworkmod folder onto your computer (this is a better backup solution); then, use the "Flash Stock + Unroot" button, followed by the "OEM Lock" button. That will truly bring your device back to square one.

{{ WugFresh }}

Milky Way
    Member #
    I had a quick question. You said to do the CWM backup because it's better, but when I root my phone again I wasn't going to install CWM because all I really need is a rooted phone & nothing else. So, I guess if I ever needed to do a restore I'd have to install CWM to restore the data? Also, to do the CWM backup I guess I would have to root the phone with CWM & do the backup from booting into CWM and not your software itself?

{{ WugFresh }}

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    Twitter
    wugfresh
    Quote Originally Posted by Apota View Post
    I had a quick question. You said to do the CWM backup because it's better, but when I root my phone again I wasn't going to install CWM because all I really need is a rooted phone & nothing else. So, I guess if I ever needed to do a restore I'd have to install CWM to restore the data? Also, to do the CWM backup I guess I would have to root the phone with CWM & do the backup from booting into CWM and not your software itself?
    No, you don't need to flash CWM in order to use it; as long as you are unlocked and rooted you can use this feature http://wugfresh.com/Help/scr/Boot_Temp_CWM.htm

{{ WugFresh }}

Milky Way
    Member #
    Hello everyone,

I have a question for Mr. Fresh.

I have the sprint gnex (toroplus) used your v1.4 to unlock and root (worked awesome) but I am having some issues with my current rom (screen pixelates when cpu stressed, screenshot) and every other rom I flash has the same issues. So now Im under the impression that I did something wrong when I first flashed it.

With that I went and opened back up v1.4 and selected my model type as a custom rom, then went to "factory img & unroot", selected the download factory img, everything seemed to work fine, but then it booted up my rom and not the factory img... Im thinking it has something to do with being on sprint because I cant even find my factory img from the google dev page that you linked to. The only one that looked like it would be somewhat close on the google development page would be the last one for the toro, but I dont want to flash something not designed for my phone.

I was hoping you could provide some feedback, sorry Im a noob.

Oh yea, and it doesnt wipe my data when trying to unroot.
    Last edited by wunderman4; 06-25-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Remove Ads

Ads