Register

[Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.7 [Updated 08/06/13]

This is a discussion on [Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.7 [Updated 08/06/13] within the Galaxy Nexus Hacking & Mods [LTE/CDMA] forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Development category; Originally Posted by pgn674 So I tried that. Gnex RootToolkit said it pushed the zip to !ReadyToFlash on the SD card, but that directory did ...

Page 203 of 289 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213253 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 2889
Like Tree577Likes

Thread: [Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.7 [Updated 08/06/13]

Developer
    GalaxyNexusForum.com Developer

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    Twitter
    wugfresh
    Quote Originally Posted by pgn674 View Post
    So I tried that. Gnex RootToolkit said it pushed the zip to !ReadyToFlash on the SD card, but that directory did not show up in ClockworkMod. So I rebooted, manually put the zip in !ReadyToFlash2, and used that. And I got this error in CWM:

-- Installing: /sdcard/!ReadyToFlash2/12f767e7a5d0.signed-mysid-IMM76K-from-ICL53F.12f767e7.zip
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Installing update...
    Verifying current system...
    assert failed: apply_patch check("/system/bin/gzip", "5108...4897", "5ba3...5045")
    E:Error in /sdcard/!ReadyToFlash2/12f767e7a5d0.signed-mysid-IMM76K-from-ICL53F.12f767e7.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.

The hexadecimal numbers separated by ... are actually very long numbers. I tried redownloading that zip, and the MD5 sum is the same as for my first download. I'm not sure what is wrong. I have to go out for something, so I will return later to continue this.
    You made some sort of system modification. Your device is not entirely stock. The file is checking your current system to see if its stock and its failing.

Since you are already rooted you have the luxury of being able to backup with cwm. Use cwm or temp cwm to make a full backup. Also use an app like sms backup to ensure all your texts are safely backed up (on to your computer, not just the sdcard) and make sure your contacts are backed up or synced with your gmail.

Then backup your sdcard contents on to your computer (simple drag and drop, or copy paste). Most importantly (sdcard/clockworkmod), and if you have any pics back those up. You can just copy the whole sdcard over if you want.

Once you are all backed up. Then Flash Stock + Unroot, but use the other option. And grab the official 4.0.4 factory image package from google Google Code - Factory Image Packages

Then update your model type in the program, re-root... and then copy your sdcard stuff back over and use CWM, advanced restore feature (in advanced menu) to restore just data.

You will have to reconfigure your system apps, but the rest of your data will be restored.

You will be on rooted 4.0.4.

{{ WugFresh }}

Milky Way
    Member #
    I had a similar problem to you going 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 after endless nags to OTA upgrades that won't take.

Just flash via CWM, (from your computer) put the 4.0.4 zip update on the phone memory (not in a folder, at the top of drive). plug phone in, point CWM to it, and recover to 4.0.4. Posts here a week or two ago give more detail, but this is basically it.
    You will keep all your data. worked for me. I then immediately got a further update to 4.0.4 OTA which worked fine.
    it will un-root you however. if you want to be rooted, you have to use Wug's kit once-over.

Milky Way
    Member #

Galaxy Nexus from yakjuxw to yakju

I found out that my Galaxy Nexus is a yakjuxw version and will only receive 4.0.4 update much later. Ran a search and found this guide to change from yakjuxw to yakju version which allows me to update to 4.0.4 and also receive future updates directly from Google.

From the guide, I learned how to use Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit. It is really easy to use with the GUI even though the guide was referring to version 1.3. I successfully changed to yakju and updated to 4.0.4.

However, I would like to share a moment in the process where it became really frightening for me because I thought I bricked the phone. I followed the guide and everything went smoothly to the point of unlocking the bootloader. Then, when I reached the steps to flash the img files, after flashing the system and user data without any issues, the connection became unstable and I was not able to see the device at Fastboot - Bootloader and the device was no longer listed as in the previous steps. The phone just showed the Google text with the unlocked icon.

Being a newbie, I panicked and did not know what to do. I thought I bricked my phone which I just bought last week. I tried to run the manual driver update again to get back the connection, but this time, it did not work. It always fail to detect the device and listed only Samsung MTP which also failed to install properly.

After many rounds of trying, I pulled out the battery and tried to reboot and here I made a big mistake with the volume and power buttons, and ended up in odin mode. I panicked again because I had no knowledge what this was. I just pressed the big green Start text and it went back to he Google text with the unlocked icon.

I forgotten that to reboot to the bootloader, I had to hold down both the volume buttons. I pressed only the volume down button. Finally, by trial and error, I remembered and got into the bootloader again. When this happened, I was able to run the manual driver setup steps and restored the connection. But, when I flashed the recovery img, the connection was lost again and I had to run steps 6-8 of the driver setup again to restore connection and continued flashing the boot img.

When this was completed, the phone rebooted and my Nexus was changed from yakjuxw to yakju version with 4.0.4 installed. Thank God! Everything worked perfectly and Google immediately sent me an email for the activation of the device.

I am writing this to thank Wug's wonderful root toolkit and also to share my experience in case anyone is planning to do this and got stuck as I did.

Wug, hope to learn a bit more on why the connections got lost a couple of times during the process of flashing the image files.

Once again, thank you for freeing my Nexus from Samsung and back to Google. Hoping for some Jelly Bean updates in the next few weeks!

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    Twitter
    wugfresh
    @Leeyiksheng sounds like a hardware issue. My guess is that its on the computer end. I have a feeling if you try an alternate usb port you will have less difficulties. A sudden loss of connection is very rarely software/driver related. Your device didn't "like" that port for whatever reason. That said, I am glad you got it going, and that my program helped you. :-)

{{ WugFresh }}

Milky Way
    Member #
    Thanks Wug for the explanation, perhaps I had too many background programs running too. Will make sure I switch to another port next time.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Twitter
    pgn674
    Quote Originally Posted by WugFresh View Post
    You made some sort of system modification. Your device is not entirely stock. The file is checking your current system to see if its stock and its failing.

Since you are already rooted you have the luxury of being able to backup with cwm. Use cwm or temp cwm to make a full backup. Also use an app like sms backup to ensure all your texts are safely backed up (on to your computer, not just the sdcard) and make sure your contacts are backed up or synced with your gmail.

Then backup your sdcard contents on to your computer (simple drag and drop, or copy paste). Most importantly (sdcard/clockworkmod), and if you have any pics back those up. You can just copy the whole sdcard over if you want.

Once you are all backed up. Then Flash Stock + Unroot, but use the other option. And grab the official 4.0.4 factory image package from google Google Code - Factory Image Packages

Then update your model type in the program, re-root... and then copy your sdcard stuff back over and use CWM, advanced restore feature (in advanced menu) to restore just data.

You will have to reconfigure your system apps, but the rest of your data will be restored.

You will be on rooted 4.0.4.

{{ WugFresh }}
    narikin, I had already tried that, except I didn't put the .zip on the sdcard's root directory. I tried doing that, and made the .zip's file name short, but it didn't help.

WugFresh, I'm not sure how I changed the system, but it makes sense. I tried removing changes made by AdAway (which modifies /etc/hosts) and BusyBox (which puts some things in /system/bin, and makes symlinks somewhere), but that didn't help. Those long numbers after "assert failed: apply_patch_check" didn't change. I was hoping that they were a checksum of some kind, maybe of all the system files zipped together.

Anyway, I followed your instructions, WugFresh, and they worked nicely. Thank you. I used the app SMS Backup & Restore by Ritesh Sahu to back up my text messages, but I didn't need to use it to restore them. And my system settings, like screen timeout, were restored too, seemingly by the ClockworkMod data only restore.

Milky Way
    Member #

Wifi not working after root

Hi awesome toolkit - however I'm running into Wifi problems. At home it wont connect to my Wifi as it says poor connection, however my Wifi indicator shows full bars for my wireless at home.

Alos can't connect at work.

I tried using Wifi fixer and that just keeps resetting my wifi and trying to connect.

Anyone else have Wifi problems after they rooted?

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    Twitter
    wugfresh
    Quote Originally Posted by Bades View Post
    Hi awesome toolkit - however I'm running into Wifi problems. At home it wont connect to my Wifi as it says poor connection, however my Wifi indicator shows full bars for my wireless at home.

Alos can't connect at work.

I tried using Wifi fixer and that just keeps resetting my wifi and trying to connect.

Anyone else have Wifi problems after they rooted?
    http://wugfresh.com/Help/scr/Since_I...ve_problem.htm

{{ WugFresh }}

Milky Way
    Member #
    Hello, I am having a couple of issues with 1.4. I have used the previous version and it worked great for me, I used it to unlock and root back in Febraury. I also used it to go back to stock and decided to wait for 4.0.4. Well it's here and I'd like to re-root.

I followed the steps closely and my device shows up in all of the checks properly.

My problem is when trying to create a backup it hangs at .sharedstorage. I've let it sit for up to 40 minutes. One time it stopped the backup entirely after waiting. Also, while attempting to back up apps and media, it gets 3/4 of the way through my pictures and then loses connection to the device.

I have not tried to unlock yet as I want a full backup first. One thing I will say, I didn't see where it said if my drivers were from your previous version that I wouldn't have to delete/update them, so I used the tool included in 1.4 to show them and I deleted all of them. However, I also used 1.4 to reinstall them. I've double checked and I do have the right version of phone selected. Also, I have tried different USB ports and cables. It will re-boot my phone into the bootloader but it will not re-start it after that. I have to manually push the "Start" power button.

Oh, and using Vista 64.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Fightnfire; 06-22-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Developer

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    Twitter
    wugfresh
    Quote Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
    Hello, I am having a couple of issues with 1.4. I have used the previous version and it worked great for me, I used it to unlock and root back in Febraury. I also used it to go back to stock and decided to wait for 4.0.4. Well it's here and I'd like to re-root.

I followed the steps closely and my device shows up in all of the checks as an ADB device.

My problem is when trying to create a backup it hangs at .sharedstorage. I've let it sit for up to 40 minutes. One time it stopped the backup entirely after waiting. Also, while attempting to back up apps and media, it gets 3/4 of the way through my pictures and then loses connection to the device.

I have not tried to unlock yet as I want a full update first. One thing I will say, I didn't see where it said if my drivers were from your previous version that I wouldn't have to update, so I used the tool included in 1.4 to show them and I deleted all of them. However, I also used 1.4 to reinstall them. I've double checked and I do have the right version selected.

Thoughts?
    When it comes down to the code that actually interacts with your device its just adb commands, so changing from the previous version of my program to this release should not make any difference. Clearly something is interrupting your backup, my guess is phone side. Possibly some of that data is in use while you're backing up. Troubleshooting options are to try backing up without shared data, to uninstall any apps that you assume are causing the complications and try again. If it's computer side, try and reduce any background applications that may be running, especially if they are programs like PDAnet.

The drivers are the same. I just provided more detailed instructions on how to install them.

Your problems are limitations/complications of those adb commands.

For more info on backing up;
    http://wugfresh.com/Help/scr/Backup_&_Restore.htm

Hit me up on gchat if you can't figure out what's causing the problem.

{{ WugFresh }}

Remove Ads

Ads