Register

[HOW TO] Root the VZW Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE, Flash a Custom Recovery and Make a Backup

This is a discussion on [HOW TO] Root the VZW Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE, Flash a Custom Recovery and Make a Backup within the Galaxy Nexus Hacking Guides forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Development category; HeHeHe, I'm rooted and making my first backup, Thanks y'all for making this sooooo easy!...

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: [HOW TO] Root the VZW Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE, Flash a Custom Recovery and Make a Backup

Aquarius
    Member #
    Liked
    507 times
    HeHeHe, I'm rooted and making my first backup, Thanks y'all for making this sooooo easy!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Twitter
    d1l777
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_gyver View Post
    Well I think buddy rubbed off on me then lol
    You cutting corners now until you break them? Lol

...tapped out from my CM7 fascinate

PM with any Questions
    GTalk available upon Request

Aquarius
    Member #
    Liked
    507 times
    Did the first backup, installed ADW and did some initial configuration which included disabling a couple of apps, VZW backup assistant, Gmail app, and GoogleSearch, opened ROM manage to boot into recovery for another clean backup and have and Android with a red Exclamation mark, and now after it sat while I was typing it looks like the phone is rebooting, yup it re-booted. SuperUser lists ROM Manager, wonder what's up with that ? Tried again saw a dialog flash that I couldn't read before I endedup up back at eh android on it's back with the Exclamation point?

Aquarius
    Member #
    Liked
    507 times
    UPDATE: After 3 failed attempts, including booting into the bootloader and trying to launch recovery from there, I went back into ROM Manager and re-flashed Clockworkmod, saw the SuperUser Access Granted message this time, and then booted into recovery ok, might be a bug in ROM Manager not requesting access when just going to the boot into recovery option ?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    Did you upgrade the super user binary? also did you install busybox and run app?

Tapped from a Galaxy far far away

Before you flash anything can you get back to stock? How to get back to stock using Odin

Have you backed up your files and pictures? I see too many desperate cries for help recovering deleted priceless pictures with no solution.

Need to hard reset? How to Hard Reset-Factory Data Reset.

Aquarius
    Member #
    Liked
    507 times
    Did you upgrade the super user binary? also did you install busybox and run app?

no, I didn't, are you thinking I should upgrade super user through ROM Manager ? And what exactly does Busybox do ? I've seen a number of references to it but never really understood it's purpose

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    Open superuser and go into settings. Update binary from there. You need to download busy box installer from market and run it. Not at PC now so I don't have links.

Before you flash anything can you get back to stock? How to get back to stock using Odin

Have you backed up your files and pictures? I see too many desperate cries for help recovering deleted priceless pictures with no solution.

Need to hard reset? How to Hard Reset-Factory Data Reset.

Aquarius
    Member #
    Liked
    507 times
    Open superuser and go into settings. Update binary from there. You need to download busy box installer from market and run it. Not at PC now so I don't have links.

Superuser says it's current, still not clear on what busybox does or why it's necessary, guess I'll do some Googling and learn about it

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Twitter
    d1l777
    BusyBox is used by most root apps. it deals with the linux side of things and GNU stuff in Android. Most ROMs come with it packaged in so if you have been running ROMs on an older phone you probably have never had to deal with it because it was in the ROM already. If you are running stock rooted you need to install BusyBox so your root apps will work correctly. Just go to the market and search for BusyBox and install the one by Stephen Sterricson. The free version should be sufficient for what you need. See if that fixes your problems with ROM manager

cynkrzy likes this.

PM with any Questions
    GTalk available upon Request

Aquarius
    Member #
    Liked
    507 times
    Quote Originally Posted by d1L777 View Post
    BusyBox is used by most root apps. it deals with the linux side of things and GNU stuff in Android. Most ROMs come with it packaged in so if you have been running ROMs on an older phone you probably have never had to deal with it because it was in the ROM already. If you are running stock rooted you need to install BusyBox so your root apps will work correctly. Just go to the market and search for BusyBox and install the one by Stephen Sterricson. The free version should be sufficient for what you need. See if that fixes your problems with ROM manager

I'll give it a go, seems the issue is that ROM Manager isn't requesting SuperUser permission when selecting the boot into recovery, when I ask it to download and flash clockwork it requests the permission and then boots into Clockwork just fine

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads