Register

[HOW TO] Root the VZW Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE, Flash a Custom Recovery and Make a Backup

This is a discussion on [HOW TO] Root the VZW Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE, Flash a Custom Recovery and Make a Backup within the Galaxy Nexus Hacking Guides forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Development category; Originally Posted by paul_gyver 1) Did you reboot bootloader from tools or platform-tools (wherever adb.exe & fastboot.exe are located)? 2) usb debugging is checked? Some ...

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: [HOW TO] Root the VZW Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE, Flash a Custom Recovery and Make a Backup

Developer
    GalaxyNexusForum.com Developer

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    Twitter
    wugfresh
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_gyver View Post

1) Did you reboot bootloader from tools or platform-tools (wherever adb.exe & fastboot.exe are located)?
    2) usb debugging is checked?

Some quick windows tips on the environmental path variable and how to append new values to it:

- To add adb (or anything for that matter) to your systems path, so you can use it globally from cmd line without starting the cmd prompt in the directory it resides, you can do one of the following.

Option 1: Through the GUI
    1. Start
    2. Right click "My Computer"
    3. Click "Properties"
    4. Select:
      • On Windows 7/Vista: "Advanced System Settings"
      • On Windows XP: the "Advanced" tab

5. Click "Environmental Variables..."
    6. Under "System variables" scroll down to "Path" and select it
    7. Use the "Edit..." button to open it
    8. Append the full path of whatever it is you are trying to add to whats already there by using a semicolon and then your path.
      • Example:

Code:
    C:\Windows\System32;Whatever_else_is_already_there;the_path_to_adb_or_whatever_you_are_trying_to_add

• So... if your adb.exe file was located in C:\android-windows-sdk\platform-tools, then your new path would look like

Code:
    C:\Windows\System32;Whatever_else_is_already_there;C:\android-windows-sdk\platform-tools

• Then just select "OK" in the edit window, and then "OK" again to exit the advance system settings GUI

Option 2: Through the GUI (but with a nifty little shortcut) - Win7

1. Open cmd prompt (Start > type: cmd > press enter, or Run > type: cmd.exe > press enter)
    2. Enter the following and press enter:
      Code:
      control.exe sysdm.cpl,System,3
    3. That will allow you to skip steps 1 through 4 in the above method, and go right to the advanced system settings GUI.

Option 3: From the cmd line - WinXP SP2 --> Win 7
    1. Open cmd prompt (Start > type: cmd > press enter, or Run > type: cmd.exe > press enter)
    2. Type the following and press enter to apply it:
      Code:
      SETX PATH "The_path_you_want_to_add" -m

With either of these three methods you can updates your systems environmental path variable, so you can use any cmd line exe file globally from cmd prompt without being in the directory the exe resides in.

If you want to know what your systems current environmental path variable is to check and make sure your new settings have been applied:
    2. Type in
      Code:
      echo %path%
      and press enter.

Hope that helps people. :-)

{{ WugFresh }}
    Last edited by WugFresh; 01-24-2012 at 11:08 PM.
    paul_gyver and ray6279 like this.

Milky Way
    Member #

Woop!

so i was thinking about waiting a year to root my new nexus but decided "hey what the hell, lets do this!" i was someone who purchased google's first nexus branded phone and i simply loved the device. well its been 2 years and i wanted to get the next sweet nexus device. THANKS G for the short and quick rooting directions!!

Milky Way
    Member #

Save apps

Hey is there a way to save all the apps that I've bought and reinstall them or am I doomed to lose them all if I want to root my phone?
    If it's possible to save all the apps how do I do it and will all the licences still work?
    Planning on doing this as soon as I figure this out lol.
    Thanks for your help guys!

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Welcome to the forum!! Every app you've bought from the Google Play Store (formerly Android Market) will be associated with the Google account you used to purchase them. So you don't necessarily need to do anything. They'll restore on their own.
    TKE627 likes this.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Hi, I'm new to Galaxy Nexus and I'm loooooving this phone. I apologize in advance if this is considered a hijack of the thread, but I'm curious to try this unlocking and rooting, but I notice that the info is for VZN LTE, I'm in Canada and am using 3G from Rogers, will the instructions work the same for me?

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Remove Ads

Ads