Register

where can i find the description of default nexus icons?

This is a discussion on where can i find the description of default nexus icons? within the Galaxy Nexus Graphics forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Extras category; hello all, I just skimmed the entire NEXUS user guide (attached toanother thread) but am none the wiser as to what some of the basic ...

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By leach19m

Thread: where can i find the description of default nexus icons?

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

where can i find the description of default nexus icons?

hello all, I just skimmed the entire NEXUS user guide (attached toanother thread) but am none the wiser as to what some of the basic icons are indicating on my stock standard nexus, particularly those relating to signal.

is there a reference that explains the symbols / icons that I can read and consequently understand what the phone is telling me?

regards
    davep

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Twitter
    d1l777
    Are you on GSM or CDMA? Also, what service provider?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

PM with any Questions
    GTalk available upon Request

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the response I am on GSM using Vodafone Australia
    regards
    Davep

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Twitter
    d1l777
    The letters next to your signal bars mean what kind of network connection you have with your provider. They are as follows:

R - Roaming
    G - GPRS
    E - Edge
    H - HSPA/HSPA+

Those should be all of the little icons you see next to the signal strength bars. From top to bottom they are in order of speed, not counting Roaming. Let me know if they are any other icons you see that you don't know what they are.

PM with any Questions

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks Sirius. That is the information I wanted.

Combined with some information on the difference between blue and grey signal bars that I found in another thread (included below), I now understand what the phone is indicating with respect to signal.
    Still think it would be nice to have a central icon guide for every users convenience, but really appreciate your help with what I needed!

"...blue bars means you are connected to Google's servers, blue wifi means you are connected to the router and the router is getting access to the internet from the modem. Grey signal bars with a data icon next to it means you have a data connection but are not connected to Google's servers which means you can use the internet and stuff, you just won't receive things like gmail or be able to sync any of your stuff to your gmail account. Grey signal bars with no data icon means you are totally disconnected from any service and it is most likely searching for service. Grey wifi bars means you are connected to the router but you don't have access to the internet, you either need to input a password somewhere,(like through the browser for a guest account) or something is wrong with the modem (off, unplugged) or the service provider is just down."

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Twitter
    d1l777
    Well I'm glad my post in the other thread helped you out too in understanding what is going on with your signal bars and all the foreign looking icons

The old flip phones back in the day I remember used to have a place that was like a glossary of all the icons in the status bar and it was on the phone, didn't have to look in the manual or anything. Why they don't still do something like that is baffling to me lol

PM with any Questions

Milky Way
    Member #
    Please can anyone tell me what the little shopping bag icons are on the top line of an android phone display? I think I saw one which had a little android inside the shopping bag. It's a square bag with a loop handle sticking up at the top. Some phones seem to have a whole row of these on the display. I've downloaded various help things for android but not seen any explanation yet.
    Thanks

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    292 times

Re: where can i find the description of default nexus icons?

Are you referring to that icon within the app drawer? If so, that just takes you to the play store.

If you're referring to that being displayed on the desktop, it likely means that you restored a launcher backup and the apps who's icons were there are no longer installed, so it displays that image as a sort of place holder/error image.

Or if you're referring to that icon in the status/notification bar, that's the notification icon for a successful app install or update

Last edited by leach19m; 12-01-2012 at 02:28 PM.
    CJM likes this.

Milky Way
    Member #
    thanks for your help. I'm still waiting for a sim to get the phone working, I'll check out what you mentioned next week when I can see it on the phone.

Ads