Register

Memory usage on GNEX

This is a discussion on Memory usage on GNEX within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; I have three questions about memory usage in the Samsung Galaxy Nexus: I'm wondering how my memory is used on my Galaxy Nexus. I know ...

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Memory usage on GNEX

I have three questions about memory usage in the Samsung Galaxy Nexus:

I'm wondering how my memory is used on my Galaxy Nexus. I know that on my computer, lots of things including pictures and websites are stored in "cache" memory, so that when I want to see them again, the page loads more quickly.
    Is the same true for Android?

Let's say yesterday I viewed 1,000 pictures that might have been in applications, in news stories, on web pages, etc. Are all of them stored in memory? If so,
    how much memory is allocated for that purpose, and
    how long does this information remain on the phone, and
    how do I delete all of it if I wish to?

I see in the specifications that after deleting a lot of things to try to free up space, under STORAGE my total space is 13.3 gigs, and I now have 8.9 gigs available, and (app data & media content) is using 1.9 gigs, and "Cached data" is using 1.3 gigs. Under "Apps - show cached processes" I see that I am using 578 megs of RAM, and have 111 megs free. My GNEX is running "sluggishly", maybe because 100 or so megs of free RAM is not enough. I have downloaded and installed "App Cache Cleaner Pro". If I understand this correctly, I can click on this, and all the information stored in cache will be deleted, freeing up all my RAM memory as if this was a new phone. Are there any disadvantages to doing this?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    (I should add that my GNEX used to be quite "snappy", responding quickly, and lately it has been very "sluggish". I'd also like to improve performance, which I think is being slowed down by too much memory usage.)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    439 times
    Hi there! I am not a technician, but just in a general sense, you need to realize that there are big differences between the Android OS and Windows, so don't expect your phone to handle free space and apps the same way your PC does.

If you can hang on for awhile, some of our really knowledgeable staff people will swing by and give you a more detailed explaination.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v7.1.0 Rom

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    Hi there! I am not a technician, but just in a general sense, you need to realize that there are big differences between the Android OS and Windows, so don't expect your phone to handle free space and apps the same way your PC does.

If you can hang on for awhile, some of our really knowledgeable staff people will swing by and give you a more detailed explaination.

I do realize that, and am hoping someone who knows a lot more about the OS can provide answers.

In the meantime, my phone was so sluggish, I decided to start clearing the cache from those apps using the most..... wow, what a difference!!!! The phone went back to being lightning fast. I think that answers one of my questions, but I'd still like to know about the files.

Is every image I view on the phone stored in memory, perhaps in cache, or would only those images or videos I download be stored?
    (Since I don't know how to view what is stored in temporary files, I don't know how to check this out for myself.)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    856 times
    Maybe this will help: http://support.google.com/android/bi...answer=1665504

Tapped from a Nexus

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks - very useful. It did answer some of my questions, but not completely.

From that page: "Android manages and carefully guards the portion of internal storage where the system, apps, and most data for those apps are stored, because this area may contain your private information. It's not possible to view this portion of internal storage when you connect your device to a computer with a USB cable. "

Saying it's not possible to do something just means nobody has yet posted how to do it. So, back to my question, suppose I'm viewing confidential information from the phone, and when I finish, I want to delete everything. How does one do that?

Keep in mind that in Windows when you delete something, you're not really deleting it - you're just deleting the link to it. I'm asking how to actually delete things so that they are no longer on the phone.

Also, while that article says how Android manages memory, etc., in my case my phone was terribly sluggish until I manually deleted about 200 megs of cached data, at which point it was as fast as I recall it being when it was new. I've got to assume that the automated Android memory management wasn't doing its job. Is there a way to improve this (other than by doing it manually)?

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Also as a general rule of thumb you should keep at least 3gb as free space. Gnex brain starts functioning differently once under that threshold n will create a lag as it works around the perceived shortage.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    AOSPA 3.0+ / LeanKernel 5.8.2 / Nova Launcher / TWRP

Remove Ads

Ads