Register

Backup and Restore - Best Method?

This is a discussion on Backup and Restore - Best Method? within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Well, I dropped my Nexus ONCE and the screen cracked.... it was three days old. I dropped my old Droid X a zillion times and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dippa

Thread: Backup and Restore - Best Method?

Milky Way
    Member #

Backup and Restore - Best Method?

Well, I dropped my Nexus ONCE and the screen cracked.... it was three days old. I dropped my old Droid X a zillion times and never had a problem, but the first time I drop this one, it cracks the screen. That's a different topic.

I got the Verizon insurance, paid the $100 deductible and just received my new phone.

Does anyone have any pointed on how to do a complete backup and restore to my new phone? I'm not talking my contacts, since those sync with my corporate Exchange anyways, I'm talking the week's worth of apps and individual settings I've already messed with.

Thanks for the help in advance!!!

- Dave

2. # ADS
    Ads

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Your apps should all redownload as long as 'automatic restore' is checked in the backup and restore section of settings which it should be by default. You'll have to redo settings. There are backup apps available- Mybackup pro for example.

Stay tuned. Others will chime in here with more detailed info especially if you're rooted.

Sent from my stock non-rooted Nexus

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    327 times
    You could also check to see if the apps have built in backup/restore features. You'd have to copy the backup file over to the new phone, re-download the app, and restore. A bit of a cumbersome process but worthwhile.
    -Stephen
    Need Help? Don't panic (yet) Call the Rescue Squad!

"On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs"

Milky Way
    Member #
    Thanks for the tips. That sounds like more work than I want to do. I am an Android novice, but I thought I had seen posts about programs that do complete backups and restores of the phone.

Would rooting help? I was planning on messing around with that at some point, I don't mind doing it now if it helps me do the backup / restore.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    327 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tulweyen View Post
    Thanks for the tips. That sounds like more work than I want to do. I am an Android novice, but I thought I had seen posts about programs that do complete backups and restores of the phone.

Would rooting help? I was planning on messing around with that at some point, I don't mind doing it now if it helps me do the backup / restore.
    With root access you could use Titanium Backup, which is the best method IMO. I'm not sure about MyBackup Pro that holly mentioned, I've never used it. I don't know if it backs up .apk's and app data or what.
    -Stephen

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    327 times
    I assume you have to send the other phone back? I don't know if it would be worth rooting that one just to back up apps. It would be a fair amount of work to unlock the bootloader, root, do your backups, then return the phone to stock before sending it back.
    -Stephen

Milky Way
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bhfd64 View Post
    With root access you could use Titanium Backup, which is the best method IMO. I'm not sure about MyBackup Pro that holly mentioned, I've never used it. I don't know if it backs up .apk's and app data or what.
    Does Titanium Backup backup to locations outside the phone? I know it has the Dropbox integration, but I didn't see if it uses that for the scheduled backups.
    I ran it all the time on my DROID X and it worked great, but without an external SD Card it seems silly to back up to the same phone.

(awesome avatar BTW )

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    It does have drop box integration, though I've never used it. You shouldn't really need it though...wiping data won't wipe your backups. I've wiped data at least 3 times and haven't lost anything on the SD card partition.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk
    Mujibar likes this.

Spotlight Member
    Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bhfd64 View Post
    I'm not sure about MyBackup Pro that holly mentioned, I've never used it. I don't know if it backs up .apk's and app data or what.
    It does with SOME apps (the data part). Not sure how they do in on stock/locked devices but I use it on my Galaxy Tab, and it works "great-ish" = does most of what I expected it to do.

WORD OF ADVICE: if you use Google to BU your calendar and contacts then DO NOT restore calendar and contacts from BUPro. ... trust me. I lost some items, had duplicates of others because they conflicted. Basically Google was restoring WHILE BUPro was restoring. My bad for not be patient and allowing Google to restore completely before I went to BUPro.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    327 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CdtDelta View Post
    Does Titanium Backup backup to locations outside the phone? I know it has the Dropbox integration, but I didn't see if it uses that for the scheduled backups.
    I ran it all the time on my DROID X and it worked great, but without an external SD Card it seems silly to back up to the same phone.

(awesome avatar BTW )
    I've never used the Dropbox integration because I don't have the Pro version. Maybe with that one you can set the store location to your Dropbox folder?

Tapped via Galaxy Nexus LTE..
    -Stephen

Remove Ads

Ads