Register

Home WiFi won't Connect, and Battery cable issues

This is a discussion on Home WiFi won't Connect, and Battery cable issues within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Brand new to the GNex but veteran to Android. Just picked up the GNex and found only two issues that have not really been addressed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Home WiFi won't Connect, and Battery cable issues

Brand new to the GNex but veteran to Android. Just picked up the GNex and found only two issues that have not really been addressed

1) My home WEP Wifi will not connect on it. I have rebooted both the router and the phone. The phone can see the "excellent" connection, but after typing in the correct password, upon pressing the "connect" button, it does nothing. My wifes phone, as well as my laptop connect just fine... just not the GNex. (it dont even look like its attempting to connect. (yes "wifi is turned on on the phone)

2) Though it says its a "standard" Micro USB charging cable, it seems to not work with the cords from my previous MicroUSB phones. My wife has a samsung as well, and hers has the same issue. My DX car charger and wall charger will securely click into the GNex, the battery screen switches from "Discarging" to "Not Charging". It should say "Charging"

Any Ideas? otherwise the phone will have to go back

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Milky Way
    Member #
    I am having the same charging issues with mine. The local Verizon store said that it depends on the actual cable being used. One charger wont work at all (LG cable). Another one I have to fiddle with to get it to work. The charger that came with it works good as does my old Verizon /mini usb car charger.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Same issue - I cannot get my Nexus to see my *Verizon* FIOS router. Toggling the WiFi switch certainly doesn't work, nor has rebooting the router. To make matters worse, I've got an app queued through Amazon App Store that won't complete downloading until a valid WiFi connection has been found/connected to.

This is with the phone being three feet away from the router - I don't even see a list of networks to connect to. =/

I'm just really thankful at the moment that I was able to godfather my "unlimited" data plan over to the new phone.

EDIT: I'm an idiot - evidently one must click the little "Wifi" symbol next to the toggle to bring up the network list - why the hell couldn't Google have just put a "view wireless networks" menu option? >.<
    Last edited by destruya; 12-22-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Not sure about the battery cable issue but for WiFi try this (I posted this on another forum too):

Depending on your router, change your phone's WiFi settings from Auto to either 5GHz or 2.4GHz:

WiFi > Menu > Advanced WiFi > WiFi frequency band

Connecting to my DLink router was no issue (set to Auto) but for some reason I was having issues connecting to my friend's dual-band Cisco router until I made that change and now it links up just fine.

Milky Way
    Member #
    About your WIFI, does your home WIFI have MAC filtering enabled?

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    No problem here with my wifi. Had to install password and bang it picked it up. This was on wireless N Netgear. As far as the charging issues I am using my old HTC and even a Blackberry charger for the car and home. Works fine. No discharging at all. THe only issue I have is when Verizon monkies with the signal being down a few days in a row off and on during the day the phone tries to make connections draining the battery quicker. Today for instance the battery is 81% after 5 hours of usage. Surfing and phone calls, not heavy usage, but moedrate usage. This is on the extended battery which V was selling for 50% off.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So the wifi just decided to work for me out of the clear blue. The charger is still an issue, but all in all im still glad i bought it.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I had the same charger issues as you did...ran down to the store, they thought i was crazy, called 611, first time i called guy said they have a different charger and thats the problem, second time i called to find out if i could order some and if verizon stores had it, they didn't know what i was talking about.

turns out, the only difference between stock charger and the old chargers is (brain fart can't recall what its called)...but it means the amount it can push into the phone is slightly larger on the stock than on the old chargers...the old chargers actually work though, you just have to have it at the right angle and play with it till it works, usually for me, if youre holding the phone facing you and the microUSB is in, softly push the bottom of the microUSB towards you, thus changing the angle it's connecting at, and wait...it should work then...also the stock charger has extra pins on the top of the microUSB (usually they're only on the wider side but stock has on both sides) so it'll hold the microUSB in better than the old chargers. the old will charge, itll take a little longer, but it still works!!

hope this helps, especially because verizon didn't release any docks with pins to charge this awesome phone...

Milky Way
    Member #
    I have the same problem, but can't connect to my work wifi... worked with my DX no problem but home i can connect just fine... at work sitting 2 feet from wireless router, can't get it to connect for some reason.

my old DX mUSB works great, old verizon car charger also works great with it... havent even opened my one i bought with the phone yet lol

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Maybe I've just been lucky, but, I've tried several different USB cables (my OG Droid cable, ones from old portable hard drives, some generic ones I picked up on ebay) and haven't had any issues yet charging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads