Register

Rooting, ROM, Unlock: please clarify!

This is a discussion on Rooting, ROM, Unlock: please clarify! within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Hi, I am totally new in the smartphone & wireless world. I have tried to educate myself by reading Wikipedia, blog posts, forums, etc. But ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BHuber09

Thread: Rooting, ROM, Unlock: please clarify!

Milky Way
    Member #

Rooting, ROM, Unlock: please clarify!

Hi,

I am totally new in the smartphone & wireless world. I have tried to educate myself by reading Wikipedia, blog posts, forums, etc. But the world of wireless is vast and there are too many acronyms and I mix things up sometimes as everything is a new concept. I have a few questions I am sure I could find the answers if I keep reading blogs & forums for a few more weeks. But may be you can help me to go a little bit faster.

I have a GNex GSM/HSPA+, with Wind Mobile Canada. The device came with ICS 4.02. Although it is largely more than enough for me, just for the sake of playing. I updated it to JB 4.11 following the instructions in this blog post:
    Easiest Way to Change Galaxy Nexus from Yakjuxw (Non-Yakju) to Android 4.1.1 Yakju/Takju

Q1
    : What is rooting? By miracle, I did succeed to install JB 4.11. Is it called 'Rooting' ? I know that now my device could get Android update directly from Google. Sorry for the silly question, but is there any other benefits? If the device has been rooted, what can I do with that root in my everyday usage of the phone? BTW, I install and re-install OS on computers all the time, this is simply called "installing the OS", why is it call "rooting" on a mobile phone?

Q2
    . What is ROM? the factory image I used to install stock JB 4.11, is it also called the "ROM" ? If not, what is ROM and when and why should I need one?

Q3. SIM unlock. I have learnt today that "SIM unlock" is not the same thing than re-installing the Android OS (rooting?). What is unlocked exactly? Is it the SIM card or the phone? In other words, what is the part which is altered by the unlock?

Q4. Does the phone require the original Android 4.02 installed by the carrier to perform the unlock operation? Whether yes or no, can you please explain why?

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

EDIT: Learnt a lot here Android 101: Rooting, Jailbreaking, and Unlocking However, I still appreciate if you can give some short answers to my questions above. Thanks.
    Last edited by Genomix; 08-20-2012 at 10:25 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    Twitter
    BHuber09
    1. Rooting is a means to get access to the full /system files on your phone. (Which a allows for changes ie ROMs (basically new OS for your phones) changing of the frequencies that the phone uses (making it run really fast or save battery)
    2. Rom is Android with multiple changes to the system files that make it run better, faster, and all around cooler. If you're fine with stock then there's no need to change. But if you wanna see what your phone can do then yes, rom your phone and feel he power.
    3. No sim unlock is just letting the phone be used on other phone networks. And unlocking refers to he bootloader. If you unlock the bootloader you can make even more changes to your phone. Ie kernels
    4. And no it does not. If you power off the phone then hold the down volume keys when you power on it'll take you to bootloader and you can then unlock it from there using a few commands.

If you have any questions ask, I'll be glad to help

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    thephantom likes this.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Hi BHuber09,

Thanks for your quick reply. Your answers are generic like the articles I have read. I am looking in to some details to better understand.

1. If I have already succeeded to install stock JB 4.11, I can say that I have rooted the phone?

2. Can you recommend the most well known custom ROM so I can read some more documentation about their benefits?

3. SIM Unlock = unlock the bootloader? Did I already do that when I installed stock JB 4.11? How can I tell that the phone is already unlocked?

4. So to unlock the SIM card, I don't need to buy an unloack code? Just typing some magic commands in bootloader mode? Do you have a link or site where I can read more details?

Thanks

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    147 times
    1... if you installed stock jb... it depends... you can update it to jb.. and you'll still be unrooted... unless you unlocked the bootloader and used a custom recovery... you're probably not rooted...
    2... one of the bigger roms... aokp just released their first build on aokp.. which should be great... so much freedom and so much you can do
    3.. no.. sim unlock refers to the sim card... and if you have sim unlocked.. you can use your gsm phone on any gsm carrier.. not just... at&t.. unlocking the bootloader means your allowing custom software to be able to be installed like custom kernels/recovery/roms..
    4... i'm not too sure on this one.. never really had a gsm phone/carrier

and just to explain a bit more on what b said... rooting... grants you super user privileges on your phone.. similar to the administrator on windows
    We have nothing to fear, but running out of beer

Milky Way
    Member #
    Hi,

OMG I have found all the answers here: efrant's "Android for Galaxy Nexus" 101 & FAQs

Remove Ads

Ads