Register

Tricky charging problem

This is a discussion on Tricky charging problem within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; My phone is experiencing spotty charging which started last night. I've tried multiple wall warts, outlets and cables so it's definitely the software/phone/battery which is ...

Milky Way
    Member #

Tricky charging problem

My phone is experiencing spotty charging which started last night. I've tried multiple wall warts, outlets and cables so it's definitely the software/phone/battery which is doing it. Here are the symptoms:

(1)Will not charge while on

(2)Only charges sometimes when off

(3)Taking battery out for 10min doesn't always work

(4)After charging battery readings are incorrect
    Claims an implausibly high charge initially
    Died with 35% left

(5)According to phone (if it can be believed), drains roughly 10x faster than normal

Is there a chance charging with a dock could solve the issue? I'm going to ebay a new battery but someone mentioned the charging internals have a propensity to go bad. The issue with inability to accurately read power remaining makes me think this is it. The search feature on GNF isn't doing well by me, could someone possibly give me some more information on this or link to a prior thread? Also, I saw mentioned that Samsung only warranties for the original owner and I bought mine used, am I on my own here?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Milky Way
    Member #
    Another update. Just a second ago the phone was charging via an iphone charger (output 1amp), I turned it off and then rebooted and it decided it was no longer happy about that charger. HOWEVER, in switching between that and our desktop the phone will charge the computer's USB port which I understand is 500ma. The phone is charging vastly faster from the computer than from the 2.1a car charger, Samsung, HTC or iPhone chargers. The computer also recognizes it as an MTP device.

One thing that's changed recently is I bought a 2.1amp car charger a few days ago. Is it possible the amperage on that is too high and it burned something out?

Also, is it the actual micro USB port itself that goes bad or is it the microphone/charging port ribbon http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gala...item4168c315fd?
    Last edited by nye307; 08-07-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Have you checked to see if anything is obstructing the micro USB port? Others have reported that similar issues were due to "stuff" such as lint being in the port. If it looks like something is in there, you could try a can of air or something that will gently dislodge it. If you do, be careful not to bend the prong and make it worse.

Per your issue #5, it is normal for it to show more battery than it actually has, if it has only gotten a partial charge. I've had it show 40% after 5 minutes of charging, which it obviously wasn't at 40% yet, and it drained quickly. If that is occurring after you know that is fully charged, then it could be issue, but more likely, it's a side effect of not charging properly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

Milky Way
    Member #
    That sounds about right for #5, it doesn't seem to be draining quite as quickly any more.

I can't see any obstructions in the USB port but I suppose a can of duster is worth a few dollars investment.

The samsung charger is a 1amp. Given the timing I'm really suspecting that 2.1amp car charger did this. Is that plausible or is there something in the phone that won't allow it to receive too much electricity in such a circumstance?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nye307 View Post
    That sounds about right for #5, it doesn't seem to be draining quite as quickly any more.

I can't see any obstructions in the USB port but I suppose a can of duster is worth a few dollars investment.

The samsung charger is a 1amp. Given the timing I'm really suspecting that 2.1amp car charger did this. Is that plausible or is there something in the phone that won't allow it to receive too much electricity in such a circumstance?
    The max draw from your phone will be around 1A of current. You can have a 10A charger and it will only draw what it's rated at, 1A. This being said watch out for other (non OEM) chargers that does not fit quite right.

Before you flash anything can you get back to stock? How to get back to stock using Odin

Have you backed up your files and pictures? I see too many desperate cries for help recovering deleted priceless pictures with no solution.

Need to hard reset? How to Hard Reset-Factory Data Reset.

Remove Ads

Ads