Register

Broken Display, Need Data?

This is a discussion on Broken Display, Need Data? within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Hey guys, I'm hoping you can assist me with this. I bought my Galaxy Nexus in May, and I love it. Never dropped it any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Milky Way
    Member #

Broken Display, Need Data?

Hey guys,

I'm hoping you can assist me with this. I bought my Galaxy Nexus in May, and I love it. Never dropped it any further than from the couch onto the carpet a while back, kept it in a combo hardshell/cushion case with a screen protector. In spite of that, we were sitting in a cafe a few weeks ago, I was using the phone intermittently during a conversation to review maps, and when I took it out of my pocket again, the AMOLED was obviously dying. Soon, it was completely black. When I got it home into the light, I noticed a thin black line running diagonally under the glass, in the upper right corner. The glass itself is fine, but the underlying panel seems to have developed a crack without any external physical damage to the phone.

Now, I haven't gotten to looking into the repair yet, but the phone is full of pictures I was taking while we were traveling in Europe (great camera on this phone). The touchscreen is unresponsive, but the phone still boots. I can't unlock it, and I'm not sure about getting ADB mode going. (I wasn't able to get it to show up in the ADB list. I can cause the computer to download the "Android 1.0" driver, and it installs successfully, reporting an "ADB Device - Ready to Use", but it doesn't show up when I run adb devices?) I've taken a few runs at Moborobo, but always get a "failed to connect". Basically, I've made initial efforts at what I've found in other threads and haven't gotten anywhere, and so am now stuck.

I would love to get all of my data off, but I would settle for just recovering my photos. Does anyone have any ideas or walkthroughs for this?
    Last edited by Mr_A; 08-04-2012 at 07:12 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Spotlight Member
    Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    We're you using the toolkit? Check this out

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1599533 Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    -Arborij

CDMA Galaxy Nexus
    JBSourcery v. 2.2.4
    KernelSanders 3.0.41
    Well, for today anyway

Milky Way
    Member #
    Thanks for this. The toolkit didn't solve the issue, but it certainly made me feel like I was closer than I've gotten so far. The problem at this point is that I can't get it to show up in ADB. I believe that USB Debugging is probably off, and I have no way to turn it on. I can get into Fastboot, no problem.

I have also tried installing the Mobo Daemon through the Google Play website, but it turns out I need to get into that app to get a validation code if I want to connect Moborobo wirelessly. So that's out.

However, I did discover that the touchscreen is still at least partially functional. (This, when I inadvertently pushed 'Emergency Call' and dialed a number.) After going through my cables, I've found I don't have the adapter I need, so I've ordered the mini-USB to HDMI part from Amazon to connect the display to my monitor. In the meantime, I've resorted to finding an image of the Galaxy Nexus pattern unlock screen, scaling it to the correct size, and attempting to input my unlock pattern blind. That is going about as well as you'd expect, and I am not even sure all parts of the screen are responsive.

Ugh. I am keeping at it, but any other thoughts are welcome.

One thing that I have noticed is that the phone, when in Fastboot and plugged in, gets quite hot immediately underneath the crack in the screen. I suspect this failure is related to a thread I found on XDA about people who were finding an identical crack that they thought might have to do with radio or CPU heating.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    585 times
    Twitter
    thephantom_dra
    Just a thought. If it's just the contents of the virtual sdcard you need, a regular usb drivers would do. When you connect the phone to a pc the internal storage should pop up. This way you can drag the contents to the pc. Just thinking out loud here in case you haven't tried this method.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    LG Nexus 5 / Nokia Lumia 1520 / Asus Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by @rbiter View Post
    teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. teach a man to fastboot, and you create competency.

Milky Way
    Member #
    That's what I thought, too, but I believe that I need to be able to unlock the phone to get that going? As it stands, it just shows up as an empty drive letter, no subfolders.

I did try Samsung Kies this morning to see what would happen, but no love.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    585 times
    Twitter
    thephantom_dra
    Worth a shot suggesting. But you don't need to unlock it to run it. Kies won't work too since those are only for Samsung proprietary units. I guess we need some more brainstorming than the usual

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. teach a man to fastboot, and you create competency.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Yeah, that's what I expected with Kies, but it was mentioned somewhere and I thought I'd see what happened.

Hmm, OK. So you're of the mind that the contents of the phone should be accessible without any further action after plugging it in? Generally, when I've plugged in the phone, I had to tap something from the dropdown menu, a notification about my USB connection, and choose a mode. ("Camera", "Media Device", something like that.) Then Windows Explorer would show the files.

The discussion threads about this situation usually mention the problem of needing to unlock, so I assumed that was the issue. Not sure if there's a way around this?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    585 times
    Twitter
    thephantom_dra
    The reason why i mentioned there is no need for further action is because mine is defaulted to MTP hence when i plug in my device, i automatically see a pop up on the internal storage. I don't touch it anymore and from windows explorer, double click on Internal Storage and the folders pop out. How about starting from scratch and uninstalling all your gnex drivers and just install Samsung usb driver for mobile phones? After doing that, just make sure the phone is turned on then attach it. It's worth a shot.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Good thought, yeah. I just went down this road and, after several power cycles to get Windows to recognize it properly again, I seem to be back where I was before (empty drive letter). Sometimes, when it does something "a little different" like giving me a Windows autoplay dialog or generating a sound on the phone, I can't say why, because I have no display.

At this point, I think I need to sit tight until Wednesday, when the mini-USB is delivered, so that I can hook this up to a monitor. I believe I will be able to unlock it once I can see the pattern I'm creating, and then I believe I should be able to get to the data and get on with the repair.

I want to believe, anyway. Thanks for your help with this!

Milky Way
    Member #
    Well, worst fears confirmed. I was able to get the HDMI working, but only about a quarter of the touchscreen is responsive. In turn, there's no way to unlock the phone.

The pictures and movies I'm at risk of losing are of some value to me, as they were taken on a special day, which turned out to be the same day the display failed. I'd really rather not send it in for repair unless these are secure. I'm wondering where I can go from here. A DIY repair is an option, but where is a good place to shop for displays? Is eBay my best bet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads