Register

Screen defect?

This is a discussion on Screen defect? within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; I have a GSM Galaxy Nexus that I purchased from a reputable online store. I want to ask everyone here with either the GSM or ...

Thread: Screen defect?

Member #

Screen defect?

I have a GSM Galaxy Nexus that I purchased from a reputable online store. I want to ask everyone here with either the GSM or Verizon version whether your screen exhibits the same issue that I am seeing. I am seeing a dark line running along the one side of the phone. It is especially obvious in lower brightness settings (I leave mine in auto) and when scrolling anything with a light-ish background. In the attached pic (sorry about the slight blurriness), the line is about 1/4 of the screen height away from and parallel to the top edge of the screen.

I checked out a couple Verizon units in-person and neither appeared to have the same issue. I feel that it's not something I should have to put up with when spending upwards of $700 for a phone. Does that make sense?

wVUf6.jpg

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    I see it ...we had a few off these on the Sensation roll out as well. Return and replace is the solution. :-)

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Thanks. I'll get in touch with the vendor.

(The Sensation didn't have an AMOLED screen, did it?)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vipz View Post
    Thanks. I'll get in touch with the vendor.

(The Sensation didn't have an AMOLED screen, did it?)
    No. We had two different screen vendors, though, with distinct anomolies between them. One of them was lines, particularly after a row of text, as was very pronounced at lower brightness levels. Most exchanged their units until they got their favored screen vendor (Acer, IIRC). Since Sammy makes this themselves and no other users report it, I think yours is a rare defect, and would exchange it.

Member #
    Awesome, thanks for the info!

Member #
    Actually there are a HUGE handful of people that have this same problem(including myself). If you turn your brightness up those lines will go away, people are saying that it is just a characteristic of the AMOLED screen.

Member #
    I don't think running the phone at full brightness is an acceptable workaround the majority of the time. Besides, I can still spot the line at full brightness. It depends on what color is being displayed. That makes sense because unlike an LCD screen where brightness and color are two separate controls (backlight and the actual crystal cells,) in AMOLED screens both are controlled by varying the brightness of individual LEDs.

As much as I would like to believe that this issue is something I must live with, and as much I dislike having to deal with an RMA, I'm hopeful the RMA will be granted and I will receive a replacement unit without such flaw.

Remove Ads

Ads