Register

Galaxy Nexus - Can I use it in Germany with a prepaid sim card

This is a discussion on Galaxy Nexus - Can I use it in Germany with a prepaid sim card within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Hello! Couple of questions from a newbie- I'm getting ready to purchase my unlocked Galaxy Nexus. 1)Can I take this phone to Germany and buy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Galaxy Nexus - Can I use it in Germany with a prepaid sim card

Milky Way
    Member #

Galaxy Nexus - Can I use it in Germany with a prepaid sim card

Hello!

Couple of questions from a newbie-

I'm getting ready to purchase my unlocked Galaxy Nexus.

1)Can I take this phone to Germany and buy a sim card for it to work there? (am hoping for a cheap prepaid service)
    2)Using it here in America, Can I use it as an internet device only through my home WiFi? No phone or Data plan purchase.

Thanks very much,
    Jimmy
    Last edited by jimmy506; 06-28-2012 at 08:19 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Not an expert in this area, but if you are buying an unlocked GSM version that I believe you should be able to get a sim card in Germany and use it, but if you are just looking for a phone to use in Germany you may be able to get a cheaper one while you are there. Also, here in America, you should be able to use it on any of the GSM carriers by using a SIM card from one of those carriers, or you can use it wifi only if that is what you want.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bdnyy23 View Post
    Not an expert in this area, but if you are buying an unlocked GSM version that I believe you should be able to get a sim card in Germany and use it, but if you are just looking for a phone to use in Germany you may be able to get a cheaper one while you are there. Also, here in America, you should be able to use it on any of the GSM carriers by using a SIM card from one of those carriers, or you can use it wifi only if that is what you want.
    Thanks for the help bdnyy23!

Do you know of an ultra cheap prepaid carrier here in America?

Thanks,
    Jimmy

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    T-Mobile may be your best bet, I think they used to have an everything plan for like $30 per month or $50 per month. You will probably pay a few dollars for a SIM card, but cost of service is low. You may also want to check Walmart as I thought they started to offer prepaid phone service, but not sure if that was CDMA or GSM. Good Luck. Here is a link to some details for the various prepaid carriers, not sure how up-to-date it is, but it may help you get started The Best US Prepaid Data Deals | Prepaid Phone News
    jimmy506 likes this.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy506 View Post
    Hello!

Couple of questions from a newbie-

I'm getting ready to purchase my unlocked Galaxy Nexus.

1)Can I take this phone to Germany and buy a sim card for it to work there? (am hoping for a cheap prepaid service)
    2)Using it here in America, Can I use it as an internet device only through my home WiFi? No phone or Data plan purchase.

Thanks very much,
    Jimmy
    1 Yes, I was looking into that. It's a bit complicated if you're visiting more than one country so google it up first.

2 Yes, of course. I did at first before trying a card from T-mobile. Other carriers are: Straight Talk, Simple Mobile etc. Hope you enjoy your European visit.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    jimmy506 likes this.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    T-Mobile has a few cheap plans.

Unlimited data, texting, and 100 minutes for $30.

1500 minutes and texts(combined) and 30MB for $30.

After you use those minutes, it costs $.10 a minute.

Unlimited minutes, texts, and data(250MB at 4G speeds, then 2G) for $50. For $60 you get the same plan except for 2GB's of 4G data.

Sent from my HTC One S
    jimmy506 likes this.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Thanks very much for the advice Flintlock and Mr. Mischief!

When I'm in Germany, I'm hoping to get a Sim card at Aldi supermarket.
    They seem to have some dirt cheap prepaid rates - ALDI TALK - Basistarif

I just hope their sim will work in the unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus.
    I'm still new to this sim stuff...
    ...I have until October to figure it out though

Thanks guys!
    Jimmy

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    hi, yes the whole point of GSM is that your subscriber identity is on the sim. you buy a sim and stick it in the phone and it will work. any GSM sim card in the world will work from any GSM carrier. so long os your phone supports the frequencies used by that carrier and the GN supports all 2G and 3G used in europe. (not LTE though obviously)

you dont like your carrier, you pull the sim out and try one from a different carrier, your phone is your property you should be able to do what you like with it.
    jimmy506 likes this.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post
    hi, yes the whole point of GSM is that your subscriber identity is on the sim. you buy a sim and stick it in the phone and it will work. any GSM sim card in the world will work from any GSM carrier. so long os your phone supports the frequencies used by that carrier and the GN supports all 2G and 3G used in europe. (not LTE though obviously)

you dont like your carrier, you pull the sim out and try one from a different carrier, your phone is your property you should be able to do what you like with it.
    Thanks for the help Mark2410!

It is very much appreciated.

-Jimmy

Milky Way
    Member #
    HOLD ON!

I just registered cause I saw this and wanted to warn you!!

I have lived in the states for a year and went back to Germany now. I bought the HTC Inspire 4G unlocked over there.
    Now i moved back and went to Congstar(really cheap plans, take a look at that), but I CANNOT get a faster speed than EDGE! The fastest download I got with the phone was 17 KB/S. Pretty pathetic numbers, huh? I put the sim card in my friends phone, everything was fine, he got 3G.
    Well, look at this: GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands Americans of course gotta be special and use a different system than the rest of the world(Thats one of the reasons why I would choose germany over America immdiately anytime).

I do have service here with the american Inspire 4G. I just dont get speed thats any faster than EDGE. Here is the validation: Only getting EDGE on unlocked Inspire 4G(American DHD) - xda-developerso I guess the same thing would happen to your Galaxy Nexus when you come to Germany..... I GUESS, I cant say for sure, because I only tested with the HTC Inspire 4G (which is actually an AT&T phone, but I bought it unlocked off ebay. That could be a reason too. So if you buy the phone from the play store maybe you can get 3G speed in Germany, I DONT KNOW though)

Just wanted to warn you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads