Register

Nexus unlocked ? - international ? - Sprint ?

This is a discussion on Nexus unlocked ? - international ? - Sprint ? within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; hello, I'm all new here. I love this Forum. Many hours of research led me on decision to buy Nexus phone. Need phone which I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Nexus unlocked ? - international ? - Sprint ?

hello,

I'm all new here. I love this Forum.

Many hours of research led me on decision to buy Nexus phone. Need phone which I can use in europe
    as well in US on Sprint provider.

Questions I couldn't find answers else are:

1.What is difference between International and Unlocked?

2.Can I use [either one of those above] appropriate for Sprint ?

3.Where can I buy one? Amazon or [some] Google play?

4.What about warranty?

Thank You.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I know Sprint doesn't use the SIM card. No one uses NEXUS at Sprint?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Twitter
    d1l777
    Let's see if I can answer some of your questions for you:

1. The only real difference between them is there are different versions of the GSM Nexus depending on which country you buy it in.

2. No you can't use any of the GSM variants on Sprint. Sprint uses CDMA technology. You can use the GSM version in Europe but you can't bring it back and use it on Sprint.

3. You would need to buy a Sprint version Nexus from Sprint themselves, or somewhere like Best Buy or Costco or Sam's Club.

4. Depending on which version you buy and where you buy it from is going to change your warranty. Some companies offer better warranties then others.

Where are you going to be using your phone more, Europe or here in the States? You can get a GSM version to use on a carrier in Europe and then find a Pay as you go provider over here. There are a few com[anies that offer pay as you go SIM cards that you can use in the US but then you will need to switch SIMs when you go to Europe with a provider over there.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by d1L777 View Post
    Let's see if I can answer some of your questions for you:

1. The only real difference between them is there are different versions of the GSM Nexus depending on which country you buy it in.

2. No you can't use any of the GSM variants on Sprint. Sprint uses CDMA technology. You can use the GSM version in Europe but you can't bring it back and use it on Sprint.

3. You would need to buy a Sprint version Nexus from Sprint themselves, or somewhere like Best Buy or Costco or Sam's Club.

4. Depending on which version you buy and where you buy it from is going to change your warranty. Some companies offer better warranties then others.

Where are you going to be using your phone more, Europe or here in the States? You can get a GSM version to use on a carrier in Europe and then find a Pay as you go provider over here. There are a few com[anies that offer pay as you go SIM cards that you can use in the US but then you will need to switch SIMs when you go to Europe with a provider over there.
    thanks for reply,

I live in US so I need it mainly in here. I was thinking since I'd pay for new phone I could get something that would work whenever I travel anywhere, which is mainly Czech Republic.

I went to Sprint and I've been told I have to call costumer support to find out more details. Sprint phones are suppose to be locked [somehow,I'm not expert in here :-) ]. The guys said that I could either:

1. get the Sprint version [and sign for 2 years agreement as I don't have DATA service] and possibly have it unlocked whenever needed [would have to make sure through costumer support thou].

or

2. get unlocked version else [and would have to make sure through costumer support again that it works,again]

Seems to me that going through Sprint is the option,not sure if I want to sign up for 2 years thou

I love Sprint,but not to be able to have SIM card is not convenient.

What to do? lol Money wise?
    Last edited by baachor; 06-24-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Why not buy the GNX from Google and activate it on TMO or ATT? It will then also work in Czech without any problem.

TMO now has some pretty cheap 'SIM-only' plans (meant for those who bring their own phone).

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    437 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
    Why not buy the GNX from Google and activate it on TMO or ATT? It will then also work in Czech without any problem.

TMO now has some pretty cheap 'SIM-only' plans (meant for those who bring their own phone).
    I totally agree. T-Mobile is your best option for a carrier.

Sent from my GSM Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v7.1.0 Rom

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverse View Post

That's exactly what I did in January 2010 when I got my Nexus One phone from Google. I got T-Mo's "Even More Plus 500" (500 minutes + unlimited text + unlimited data) for $60 a month without a contract. Today, I ordered the Galaxy Nexus from Google and my plan is to take the current SIM card and slide it into the new phone in a couple days. Can't wait for the new GN experience.
    Viken
    Nexus One
    Galaxy Nexus (GSM)

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 993140 View Post
    That's exactly what I did in January 2010 when I got my Nexus One phone from Google. I got T-Mo's "Even More Plus 500" (500 minutes + unlimited text + unlimited data) for $60 a month without a contract. Today, I ordered the Galaxy Nexus from Google and my plan is to take the current SIM card and slide it into the new phone in a couple days. Can't wait for the new GN experience.
    Thank you very much to ALL of you for reply.

I was afraid changing of phone company would be best option

My friend has T-Mobile and I she does exactly what you guys suggest,swapping SIM card.

@ 993140: That sounds pretty affordable. Gotta look that up. No contract? Really? That would solve the problem.

And where is the best place to buy the Nexus?

Does it still have to be UNLOCKED international version?

Any link please?

Thank you

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by baachor View Post
    Thank you very much to ALL of you for reply.

And where is the best place to buy the Nexus?

Does it still have to be UNLOCKED international version?

Any link please?
    Right here: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa

Unlocked is the best solution as this model works with any GSM cell carrier woldwide.
    Viken
    Nexus One
    Galaxy Nexus (GSM)

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by baachor View Post
    @ 993140: That sounds pretty affordable. Gotta look that up. No contract? Really? That would solve the problem.
    Looks like the plans have changed since I signed-up with T-Mobile. No more completely unlimited data plans, that I can see.
    But, there are still some very attractive "SIM card only" plans: Unsupported Browser
    Viken
    Nexus One
    Galaxy Nexus (GSM)

Ads