Register

My thoughts on flashing custom roms...

This is a discussion on My thoughts on flashing custom roms... within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; So i got the galaxy nexus about 2 months and i love this phone better than any other smartphone I've had before(blackberry flip,galaxy s, iPhone ...

View Poll Results: How is your phone set up?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stock Android

4 28.57%
  • Stock ROM and rooted

0 0%
  • Custom ROM all the way...

10 71.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My thoughts on flashing custom roms...

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

My thoughts on flashing custom roms...

So i got the galaxy nexus about 2 months and i love this phone better than any other smartphone I've had before(blackberry flip,galaxy s, iPhone 3g,lg g2x)and decided to flash a custom ROM to see what all the hype was about. I hated. After flashing almost every ROM possible i never found one that worked better than stock android ROM. Let me explain:

Whenever i flashed a ROM one thing or another was not like it supposed to..... immediately after rooting i notice a decrease on battery life and some lag.
    Another one is that every single ROM has something wrong. If its not battery life it's that they freeze or an app wont work, the last ROM i tried did not let me install Facebook, c'mon why? So after a lot(and trust, a whole freaking lot) i decided to go back to Android 4.0.4 takju and i'm loving it. Everything is working like it's suppose to, maybe i don't have a 1.5ghz clock or i cannot install some needed apps but i can live with that, it wasn't too much of a difference between speed anyways. Am i going mad or is someone out there that thinks the same as me. Some times i think why is everyone going south and i am going north. Another thought is, how can some independent coders make a better rom than Google itself. It's like saying i can produce a warmer or better solar ray than the sun itself. I'm not trying to hate on you dev, i really like you and respect you in all ways but i just feel this way.What do you think?
    Last edited by rbreban; 05-21-2012 at 07:46 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Twitter
    karmasyde
    Quote Originally Posted by rbreban View Post
    So i got the galaxy nexus about 2 months and i love this phone better than any other smartphone I've had before(blackberry flip,galaxy s, iPhone 3g,lg g2x)and decided to flash a custom ROM to see what all the hype was about. I hated. After flashing almost every ROM possible i never found one that worked better than stock android ROM. Let me explain:

Whenever i flashed a ROM one thing or another was not like it supposed to..... immediately after rooting i notice a decrease on battery life and some lag.
    Another one is that every single ROM has something wrong. If its not battery life it's that they freeze or an app wont work, the last ROM i tried did not let me install Facebook, c'mon why? So after a lot(and trust, a whole freaking lot) i decided to go back to Android 4.0.4 takju and i'm loving it. Everything is working like it's suppose to, maybe i don't have a 1.5ghz clock or i cannot install some needed apps but i can live with that, it wasn't too much of a difference between speed anyways. Am i going mad or is someone out there that thinks the same as me. Some times i think why is everyone going south and i am going north. Another thought is, how can some independent coders make a better rom than Google itself. It's like saying i can produce a warmer or better solar ray than the sun itself. I'm not trying to hate on you dev, i really like you and respect you in all ways but i just feel this way.What do you think?
    Interesting...I've always gotten better battery life using custom ROMs...usually had at least one random reboot a day using stock ROM...haven't found an app yet that doesn't play Nice with a custom ROM...haven't run into a freeze with a custom ROM or stock ROM

Swyped from my Lte Gnex via tapatalk 2

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1124 times
    This is odd I too have gotten better battery as well as all my apps working which roms did you flash

Tapped on Rays Gnex

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I agree with karmasyde, I've been using AOKP since build 26 and my battery life is better than when I was stock; I easily get 2 days of moderate use compared with just over a day on stock.

The latest milestone release was very stable and I have not had one FC or random reboot. There are just too many features included that are missing from stock that I just could not live without now, so much so that I'm trying to find some way to flash my cheapo Chinese made ICS tablet with it.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Interesting.
    custom roms offer more options and gives users more control than stock. Adjust and tweaks. You have to use a rom for at least a week to get the full experience and let things settle. You also might have to try different kernels with certain roms as well. It takes time to find right combination.

As far as stock I had no real issues with it. No Rom or root and battery is life is decent and fortunate to have good reception without having to flash different radios or kernels.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Rooted all the way using Liquid 1.4...it WILL save battery! EVERYONE is saying how much better their battery & reception is with this rom. But with rooting/flashing comes responsibility. You need to check & LEARN how all the settings work. Sometimes the way a developer sets up the rom is not good for YOUR PHONE. So learning what to tweak & what to just leave alone is very important. also, learning what apps/mods/tweaks affect battery/speed of the phone. I recently found out how Facebook destroys the battery. Education is KEY when you "open up" your phone with rooting.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    538 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Hey, custom ROMs are not for everyone, so don't feel like you are alone. I was stock for almost 2 months after getting mine and I was happy. But my desire to see what else was out there made me flash something else and try it out.

I must second what wulf said in that it sometimes helps to try multiple kernels with different ROMs and see what results you get. And changing the speeds of the kernel may help too. Going from 300-ish minimum kernel speeds up to something like 750 will eliminate a lot of the lag more often than not. Even changing from On Demand to something else helps.

And as for the creating a better solar ray statement, it isn't that they can do better than Google. The devs are only fixing issues (some known, other discovered by them) and adding extras to the ROMs, sometimes even incorporating a custom kernel and theme. It's more like a house. The builder makes a great house, but you as the homeowners adds that extra flair to it that makes it a home. You might add new lighting, new tile floors, upgrade the bathroom fixtures, but you are just adding to what the builder built.

If stock works for you though, be happy with it. There is no need to feel like you need to flash a custom ROM. And anyone that tells you otherwise should be ignored! While I love customizing my devices, I hate when people tell others the solution to everything is to root & ROM. Nobody knows what is best for someone except themselves. And stock isn't a bad thing - if it works for you. What matters is that you enjoy your device.

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Hi rbreban.

Developers spend a lot of time tweaking roms and kernels, and building scripts etc. All for the purpose of making a kick-butt experience for our phone! I suggest trying something like the latest AOKP or Gummy or Liquid. Been on all 3 with great experiences. You might try different kernels as well, such as Franco or Glados. And make sure you follow the ROM thread instructions as far as wiping data, etc. as that can cause issues if not done properly.

This is known as a "developers" phone. Might as well take advantage of it!
    Moto Droid | Fascinate | GTab | Charge | GNex | Asus TF201 ...
    Humorist, gadget geek, and lover of all things bacon.

Ignore my screen name, call me Jeff!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Twitter
    karmasyde
    Quote Originally Posted by fish1552 View Post
    Hey, custom ROMs are not for everyone, so don't feel like you are alone. I was stock for almost 2 months after getting mine and I was happy. But my desire to see what else was out there made me flash something else and try it out.

I must second what wulf said in that it sometimes helps to try multiple kernels with different ROMs and see what results you get. And changing the speeds of the kernel may help too. Going from 300-ish minimum kernel speeds up to something like 750 will eliminate a lot of the lag more often than not. Even changing from On Demand to something else helps.

And as for the creating a better solar ray statement, it isn't that they can do better than Google. The devs are only fixing issues (some known, other discovered by them) and adding extras to the ROMs, sometimes even incorporating a custom kernel and theme. It's more like a house. The builder makes a great house, but you as the homeowners adds that extra flair to it that makes it a home. You might add new lighting, new tile floors, upgrade the bathroom fixtures, but you are just adding to what the builder built.

If stock works for you though, be happy with it. There is no need to feel like you need to flash a custom ROM. And anyone that tells you otherwise should be ignored! While I love customizing my devices, I hate when people tell others the solution to everything is to root & ROM. Nobody knows what is best for someone except themselves. And stock isn't a bad thing - if it works for you. What matters is that you enjoy your device.
    This...I also stayed stock for a few months after I got phone..I did unlock it as soon as I got it home though. I wanted to familiarize myself with the new OS before I started playing with it. That being said...I did have more problems with the stock ROM than I've ever had with a custom...but at that time it was 4.0.2

Swyped from my Lte Gnex via tapatalk 2

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    I had full intentions of staying stock for a while...but because you guys are such bad influences on me I unlocked, rooted and flashed a ROM in 2 hours of getting it home.
    I cut corners till I break it.
    Devices I have hacked, modded and owned: Original Droid / DX / Fascinate / Charge / TBolt / Razr / Gnex / Xoom / Kindle Fire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads