Register

Grey and Blue signal bars

This is a discussion on Grey and Blue signal bars within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; So I know that Gray signal bars mean that there is no data connection, and that blue means there is, but the my Nexus is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Grey and Blue signal bars

Milky Way
    Member #

Grey and Blue signal bars

So I know that Gray signal bars mean that there is no data connection, and that blue means there is, but the my Nexus is taking FOREVER to get to blue signal bars. Is this usually the case? I think my battery saving app (Easy Battery Saver) had a setting where if I turned off the screen, data would be turned off, but I just switched it off, and it is still taking a really long amount of time.

Is there any way to fix this?

This phone is really causing a lot of hassle. Almost tempted to switch to the iphone.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    In my experience, the battery saving apps have caused the issue you are referring to. I tried 2X Battery and Juice Defender, and although they helped save battery, whenever I went to use the phone I was waiting a few minutes until my data connection would come back. I would uninstall the app you were referring to and see if that makes a difference in your data connection. I also know that some of the official updates have caused data connection issues, so if you are on the official 4.0.4 that could be leading to your issues as well.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Get rid of all your batt saving apps first.

How long is 'FOREVER'? Can you actually access the internet services while it's greyed out?
    (I think the blue actually displays the connection to Google Services, not necessarily your data connection.)

Are you connecting to wifi or 3g/4g? (Your phone not might be the culprit)

Consider a factory reset or ask the dealer.

Milky Way
    Member #
    I cannot access any internet features. I do like that the battery savers automatically turn data off at night and when battery is low. But I think the phone in general takes time to reconnect to the internet when data was just off. Sometimes I manually turn off data if I'm at work and won't be needing it.

And I'm running 4.0.2, who knows when Verizon will give any official updates.

Member #
    Liked
    260 times
    Yeah, 4.0.2 gave me issues connecting to data (as well as 3G --> 4G hand offs and vice versa) ... the latest 4.0.4 leak/OTA is much better

Guidelines of Conduct

~~You can't be on the bleeding edge without a little blood~~

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    I've gotten gray bars every morning for the past three days...it seems to start when I leave my routers wifi range and doesn't remedy until about an hour or so later...when I've got gray bars, the phone's essentially useless...it tells me I've got no network connection at all...I'm thinking of visiting the sprint store this evening...

Cheers

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Sometimes my bars are gray, then I open the Gmail app and they will turn blue as the app fetches mail.

Vega
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Correct if im wrong but the difference between the 2 colors is that blue means your getting a signal response from google servers... wifi tend to take more time getting that response.

That said you can still have a connection with grey bars.

Sent from my GNex via Hit'N'Yak
    msndrstood likes this.

Unlocked - Rooted GSM GNex
    JellyBelly v3-4.1.1
    Franco's Kernel Nightly #217 512GPU
    Videotron
    iPeckWorks©
    OS X 10.7.3

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Twitter
    d1l777
    Quote Originally Posted by iPeckNexus View Post
    Correct if im wrong but the difference between the 2 colors is that blue means your getting a signal response from google servers... wifi tend to take more time getting that response.

That said you can still have a connection with grey bars.

Sent from my GNex via Hit'N'Yak
    Correct, blue bars means you are connected to Google's servers, blue wifi means you are connected to the router and the router is getting access to the internet from the modem. Grey signal bars with a data icon next to it means you have a data connection but are not connected to Google's servers which means you can use the internet and stuff, you just won't receive things like gmail or be able to sync any of your stuff to your gmail account. Grey signal bars with no data icon means you are totally disconnected from any service and it is most likely searching for service. Grey wifi bars means you are connected to the router but you don't have access to the internet, you either need to input a password somewhere,(like through the browser for a guest account) or something is wrong with the modem (off, unplugged) or the service provider is just down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    EdLaJoie and BullDozer like this.

PM with any Questions
    GTalk available upon Request

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GYRK View Post
    So I know that Gray signal bars mean that there is no data connection, and that blue means there is, but the my Nexus is taking FOREVER to get to blue signal bars. Is this usually the case? I think my battery saving app (Easy Battery Saver) had a setting where if I turned off the screen, data would be turned off, but I just switched it off, and it is still taking a really long amount of time.

Is there any way to fix this?

This phone is really causing a lot of hassle. Almost tempted to switch to the iphone.
    This is an issue I have also . Seems more prevalent when first using the phone but can happen at any time. Not sure why.

Ads