Register

Verizon Wireless and the Google Nexus Rant

This is a discussion on Verizon Wireless and the Google Nexus Rant within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; I have to say I'm very disappointed with Verizon and I have decided Verizon is evil. Once my contract is up, I'll not renew with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Verizon Wireless and the Google Nexus Rant

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Verizon Wireless and the Google Nexus Rant

I have to say I'm very disappointed with Verizon and I have decided Verizon is evil. Once my contract is up, I'll not renew with them.

I have a Galaxy Nexus phone. I bought this phone because it has standard Android 4.0. No skins, no bloatware, nothing added by third parties. I per-ordered the phone last year and have been carrying it for almost six months now.

The good. I love the phone. The screen it great and it's super fast. The "Face Unlock" is cool, but it will always fail if you are trying to show it off to someone, or if your in a hurry. I'm using a PIN now. The data tracking feature is cool, if I didn't have unlimited data it would be priceless. The camera is super-fast and it has a panoramic mode that's great fun. The phone is great. Google+, Hangout's (Face time, with more people), Circles, to many cool features to list. Galaxy Nexus

The bad. The phone has a 3-pin connector. On the sales videos before the phone was released showed cool car docks and desktop stations that used the three pin connector for charging and putting the phone into desktop / car mode. So far, no sign of anything in the United States that uses the 3-pin connector. I'm not sure if this is a Verizon issue or a Samsung issue, but I'm very disappointed.

Google wallet is to be the next big thing. So far, Verizon has blocked the service. Not surprising since Verizon has invested in Isis. OTA updates are slow to. This is supposed to be a "Developer" version, with the most current version of the OS.

Why can't the hardware manufactures build hardware and compete on who can make the best device at the best price? Why do they need to muck with the OS? Little secret, they are not adding value when I have to rebuild the phone to remove the crapware. Same thing with Verizon, I'm just looking for a pipe to get a phone call out and data. I don't want Verizon's NFL app, it sucks! I don't need your back up app, the phone comes with one built in. And why would I ever pay $10 buck to use your POS Verizon Navigator when I have Google Navigation. I bought the Nexus to get away from these things. And now Verizon wants an extra $30 upgrade fee! So, let me get this right. After 2 years of sending Verizon $200 a month my reward is that I get to spend an extra $30 to buy a new phone! Boy that makes me feel like a valued customer.

Never again.

I will never sign another 2 year contract. I will not spend extra for crap I don't want. I will not be held hostage by my service providers. I am the customer, it's my money, I'm in charge!
    gixxer1kdaddy and UltraDroid like this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1124 times
    Sorry for you troubles with Verizon/Samsung but far as your updates rooting will keep you was advanced to what stock offers as far as the 3 pin that sounds like Samsung this phone is called a developers phone because of all the devs that flocked to this phone

Tapped by Ray

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Twitter
    daihard
    This isn't much comfort to you, but let me tell you, AT&T is no better than Verizon. I'm pretty sure they're going to block Google Wallet on the LTE Galaxy Nexus that's rumoured to be released under them since they push ISIS together with Verizon.
    LG Nexus 4 / AOKP JB-MR1 Build 2
    ASUS Nexus 7 / BAKED BlackBean 7 RC
    Panasonic Toughbook W8 / Kubuntu 12.04 LTS X86_64

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Who you going to go with then? cricket? walmart pay as you go phones? The big four (VZN, AT&T Sprint & t-Mobile) all have some form of contract to use their service. Plus of all the sevices available Vzn has the best service when it comes to less dropped calls & data speed. Maybe your area is different than mine but VZN is the clear winner. BUT I do understand how you feel. I wanted to switch from my crappy Bionic to the Nexus because Motorola & VZN dropped the ball on that phone...but because I was already in month 5 of my 2yr contract with the Bionic I couldn't trade my phone in for the Nexus unless I went full price (Like THAT will ever happen!) So I bought a used one off eBay for $300 and now I'm happy.

Remember no phone or carrier will be perfect. I was on Sprint about 10yrs ago & had nothing but dropped calls. 10 yrs on VZN I've NEVER had a dropped call..,For me VXN is the lesser of all the evils!
    paul_gyver and plumcrazy like this.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yeah, I was running CM7 on my Droid Inc. and have been thinking of rooting the Nexus and running CM9 on it. I do see several benefits. Text BlueTooth MAP support so that I can get my text over my Ford Sync being a major one. I don't see how it will fix my contract issue, but it pisses me off that my CDMA phone is on 4.0.2 and the GSM phone is on 4.0.4.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mikespe View Post
    Who you going to go with then? cricket? walmart pay as you go phones? The big four (VZN, AT&T Sprint & t-Mobile) all have some form of contract to use their service. Plus of all the sevices available Vzn has the best service when it comes to less dropped calls & data speed. Maybe your area is different than mine but VZN is the clear winner. BUT I do understand how you feel. I wanted to switch from my crappy Bionic to the Nexus because Motorola & VZN dropped the ball on that phone...but because I was already in month 5 of my 2yr contract with the Bionic I couldn't trade my phone in for the Nexus unless I went full price (Like THAT will ever happen!) So I bought a used one off eBay for $300 and now I'm happy.

Remember no phone or carrier will be perfect. I was on Sprint about 10yrs ago & had nothing but dropped calls. 10 yrs on VZN I've NEVER had a dropped call..,For me VXN is the lesser of all the evils!
    It's not a service issue. Service is great, VZW is the fastest. Do you worry that your phone is going to stop working after they black list stolen phones? Some jerk stole my first Nexus while I was getting a CT Scan, so on top of finding out I had cancer my phone was missing and I couldn't even call my wife. US carriers agree to build stolen phone database, blacklist hot handsets -- Engadget
    Last edited by Deacon51; 04-22-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post
    It's not a service issue. Service is great, VZW is the fastest. Do you worry that your phone is going to stop working after they black list stolen phones? Some jerk stole my first Nexus while I was getting a CT Scan, so on top of finding out I had cancer my phone was missing and I couldn't even call my wife. US carriers agree to build stolen phone database, blacklist hot handsets -- Engadget
    That's not correct in regards to VZN because when I brought my used Nexus in to get activated the FIRST thing they did was check to see if it was stolen or any issues from the previous owner. Plus when they were having issues with getting it activated (long story) they called tech support THEY also checked the phone out for security issues.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Good, I'm glad they checked. Thieves suck. I was not accusing you of anything, I'm just always scared to buy things like used electronics if I don't know the source.

Milky Way
    Member #
    This is why I won't ever be a Verizon customer again. They cripple their phones and remove features that other carriers don't. The Gnex was supposed to be a google phone and Verizon ruined it with bloatware. Updates are delayed to the Verizon version because of Verizon. They have to test each update and add all of their bloat before they release it.

I have the GSM version on AT&T and I'm running 4.04. Not only do I have the latest version with no bloatware, I can use wireless hotspot for free. Unlocked phones FTW.

LTE would be nice, but where I live, Verizon LTE is slow and AT&T's HSPA+ is actually faster.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    What bloatware do you speak of? VZW only added two apps. As for the 4.0.4 it's a rather moot point since this is a "developer" phone.
    fnmetal likes this.

Before you flash anything can you get back to stock? How to get back to stock using Odin

Have you backed up your files and pictures? I see too many desperate cries for help recovering deleted priceless pictures with no solution.

Need to hard reset? How to Hard Reset-Factory Data Reset.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads