Register

Verizon Wireless and the Google Nexus Rant

This is a discussion on Verizon Wireless and the Google Nexus Rant within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Originally Posted by paul_gyver What bloatware do you speak of? VZW only added two apps. As for the 4.0.4 it's a rather moot point since ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Verizon Wireless and the Google Nexus Rant

Milky Way
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_gyver View Post
    What bloatware do you speak of? VZW only added two apps. As for the 4.0.4 it's a rather moot point since this is a "developer" phone.
    Anything Verizon adds (i.e. VZ Navigator) and locks into the ROM so you can't remove it is bloatware. That's the opposite of the intention of a Nexus device.

And, no, it's not a moot point. Developer phone or not, not everyone wants to root and hack their phone. Believe it or not, some people buy them and use them stock (shocking, I know). That's no excuse for Verizon to take liberties with a Nexus device and delay updates. Saying that it's a developer phone is severely limiting the demographic and thus sales. I'm pretty sure that's not what Samsung intended and I can promise you that many of the people who buy this phone have no idea what rooting is and virtually no interest in meddling with their phones.

This isn't even the worst example of Verizon crippling their phones. Take any HTC Android phone. They block access to HTC Hub so you can't download free ringtones and wallpapers and themes. Why? So you'll have to buy ringtones from them. Every other carrier allows you to have full access to HTC Hub. Verizon would probably cripple the iPhone too, if Apple let them.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Since I got my nexus a month ago I've used triple the data I used to with my Droid x I don't even use wifi at home anymore because my lte upload speed is 3 to 4 times faster than roadrunner turbo but I am approaching that infamous 5 gb mark

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhulk View Post
    Anything Verizon adds (i.e. VZ Navigator) and locks into the ROM so you can't remove it is bloatware. That's the opposite of the intention of a Nexus device.

And, no, it's not a moot point. Developer phone or not, not everyone wants to root and hack their phone. Believe it or not, some people buy them and use them stock (shocking, I know). That's no excuse for Verizon to take liberties with a Nexus device and delay updates. Saying that it's a developer phone is severely limiting the demographic and thus sales. I'm pretty sure that's not what Samsung intended and I can promise you that many of the people who buy this phone have no idea what rooting is and virtually no interest in meddling with their phones.

This isn't even the worst example of Verizon crippling their phones. Take any HTC Android phone. They block access to HTC Hub so you can't download free ringtones and wallpapers and themes. Why? So you'll have to buy ringtones from them. Every other carrier allows you to have full access to HTC Hub. Verizon would probably cripple the iPhone too, if Apple let them.
    And this is why I moved to Sprint. I realize the service may not be as fast, but I haven't experienced one dropped call with my Nexus on sprint and yesterday had two on my vzw one. The sprint gnex has Google Voice integrated into it and allows Google wallet use! And not one single Sprint app is on this thing! I may have lost LTE ( for now ) but in all honesty I don't miss it. And will have it in the future. And I'm running 4.0.4 out of the box, I feel no regrets so far.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    daihard likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads