Register

Rooting, Rom-ing, etc, for dummies

This is a discussion on Rooting, Rom-ing, etc, for dummies within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; while we wait, i thought i'd put this out there. i've been lurking for a while now, and am anxiously waiting on the GNex release. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Rooting, Rom-ing, etc, for dummies

while we wait, i thought i'd put this out there. i've been lurking for a while now, and am anxiously waiting on the GNex release. i am here multiple times a day and appreciate all the info i've picked up so far. but i've wondered for a while now about rooting and so forth. i'm no dummy, but no geek at the same time. that being said, i would love for someone to start up a thread, or direct people somewhere that kind of gives the basics to how and why you root, rom, etc. i would love to take full advantage of my GNex, when i get it, and would love to learn something new!

thanks guys!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    355 times
    Are you saying more of a "How-To" root and ROM the Nexus or more of a write up explaining why we do it and what would be the benefits?

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    i was actually looking for a little of both. just a beginners lesson, if you will.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I have never had a phone I could tinker with either, that is, until I get my Galaxy Nexus. I'll be looking to root my device and see what fun things I can make happen as well. But I also have a very limited background on such tasks. I've been doing most of my research on the official Droid Forum and youtube

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    538 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    I can post some links to some articles I've found to help. I know there were some good ones on DroidForums and I had one on Xoom Forums too, but for some reason, I can't find either right now. These are found on other Android sites.
    (I tried to post this in the "Hacks" section and link to it, but that section is locked)

Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A (originally found on Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central)

Each day more and more Android handsets are being sold, and that means users are faced with a major decision: To root, or not to root. Some of us will do it simply because we can, others will decide not to do it as they enjoy the phone as-is, but the majority of us will be on the fence about the whole idea of rooting.

Hopefully some of those questions can get answered and you’ll have a clearer picture of the process and some understanding to make the decision a bit easier. I’m sure this won’t answer every question you’ll have when considering whether or not to root your device, but hopefully this is a good start and a basis for further discussion.

What, exactly, is rooting?

Rooting your Android device involves adding in a small Linux application called “su”. It stands for SuperUser, and allows applications and commands to run with elevated permissions. Everything that runs code, whether it’s an application or the user, has a permission level set by the operating system.

Why Linux? Well the heart of the Android operating system is the Linux kernel. You'll hear a lot of nerdy geek-speak about the Linux kernel, but all you really need to know is that it's what is interfacing Android to your hardware, and ultimately has complete control. When you stray outside the "normal" way of using Android and start entering commands directly, the kernel is who you're talking to.

The root user is the boss and can do anything (good or bad) on the device. From simple things like clearing the cache from core applications, to more advanced things like wirelessly tethering a laptop or iPod touch through your phone, root can do it. The su program is a sort of gateway that lets applications or users act as root while doing tasks. If you’re the curious type (I know some of you are ) here’s a more in-depth review of root as used in a Linux system by the Linux Information Project .

OK, so why would I want to root my phone?

Good question! Maybe you don’t. Everything in a Linux system is a file, or is treated as a file. Since Android runs on top of Linux, it acts the same way. Most of the files you will need to access or change are available to you without having elevated permissions. "Most" being the key term here. When you want to do things that affect or change the core software of your device -- like updating the version of Android on your phone, or adding a nice piece of software from another device -- you'll have to do it as root. Dream and Magic users have been running Eclair on their phones for a good while now, and it’s because they have rooted their device. Rooting also gives you access to some handy software that you couldn’t use otherwise. Things like a complete system backup or ad blocking software require you to root your device. Don’t root your phone just for the sake of rooting your phone, but if you come across something you feel you could use or would like to have, then consider it. You'll find that the open source community is usually pretty helpful and encouraging new people to do new things is common. And when you get to the point where you can lend a hand to the new folks, pay it forward.

Visit Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central to read the rest of the story.
    Last edited by fish1552; 12-12-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    538 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Another really good one answering "WHY" some of us root:

[Updated] Rooting Explained + Top 5 Benefits Of Rooting Your Android Phone

Milky Way
    Member #
    Subscribing. I'm a noob as well and am really interested in the "hows" of gaining root on the GN so I can tether (road trips + 4 kids + tethered tablets= not bothering me, lol)... Overclocking, themes, and roms will be nice options down the road but the GN will be such a huge improvement over my existing WinMo phone that I doubt I'll pursue it anytime soon.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    355 times
    Fish thanks for coming in and posting all that info!! I got sidetracked and didn't cone back to it yesterday.

Good stuff, thanks again!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Okay, yea. "sub'd" ... I may want this info in the future as well - though I definitely want to see how long I can go without wanting / needing it.
    "Never look where you are going. Look where you want to go."
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    538 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    I'm gonna keep looking for the thread over on the DroidForums site and the one I posted up on the XoomForums site listing the pros and cons to help people do a fair and balanced decision on whether rooting is right for them or not. It doesn't push rooting like some do, it simply posts information that let's people decide for themselves. Because honestly, rooting really ISN'T for everyone. And it's best to at least be well informed to make that decision for yourself.
    So hopefully, more to follow soon.
    Last edited by fish1552; 12-13-2011 at 06:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads