Register

can I change the boot animation without rooting?

This is a discussion on can I change the boot animation without rooting? within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; All of the discussion I've seen relating to changing or removing the boot animation, including my visit to the APP store, requires rooting of the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: can I change the boot animation without rooting?

  1. #1
    Cassiopeia
    Member #
    2020
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    64

    can I change the boot animation without rooting?

    All of the discussion I've seen relating to changing or removing the boot animation, including my visit to the APP store,
    requires rooting of the phone.
    Does anyone know of a method of changing or removing the boot animation WITHOUT rooting the phone?
    Thanks

  2. # ADS
    Ads


  3. #2
    Rescue Squad
    Member #
    6644
    Liked
    147 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    582
    no... because of the location of the animation... you'll need root permissions to change the boot animation...
    tryanchristos likes this.
    We have nothing to fear, but running out of beer


  4. #3
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    116
    Liked
    537 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Savannah area of Coastal Georgia, USA
    Posts
    2,515
    YES, it is possible. I have a tool that might let you do it, and if not, you can use ADB to do it. I found the ADB method on XDA, unrooted my OG Droid and returned to stock and verified it worked. Verified a second time on my MOTO Xoom.

    ROOTED VERSION:
    How to Install Using Root Explorer

    1. Download the boot animation file
    2. Rename to bootanimation.zip
    3. Using Root Explorer, copy bootanimation.zip to /data/local (make sure to rename existing file to bootanimation_bak.zip if there is already one there)


    UNROOTED VERSION:
    How to Install Using ADB

    1. Download the boot animation file
    2. Rename to bootanimation.zip
    3. Copy to your "Tools" folder that contains adb commands
    4. Open Command Prompt and enter the command below


    Code:
    adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local
    (where "bootanimation.zip" is the file name and it is placed in the sdk folder)


    Then to test:
    Code:
    adb shell bootanimation
    To return to the stock boot animation, just remove or rename the .zip in /data/local and the system will default back to the stock one in /system/media provided you have not changed it in there. This is the best way to use BootAnis because if the new one is messed up, you just delete it and the stock stuff stays untouched. No need to stress out and spend time looking for the stock one if it doesn't work. Just delete and you are back in order.


    A member over on XoomForums made a little handy tool to push boot animations to some of the stock/unrooted MOTO tablets, and you might be able to try it too. He does warn it may not work on some HTC or Samsung stock ROMs, but it doesn't hurt to try.

    Try it here: BootAnimPusher.zip
    Last edited by fish1552; 04-17-2012 at 06:55 AM.
    YankInDaSouth and bhfd64 like this.

  5. #4
    Cassiopeia
    Member #
    2020
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    64
    Fish, great tool idea. Do you know where I can find compatible animation files? Or what I can put i the zip file to disable boot animation?
    Thanks

  6. #5
    Andromeda
    Member #
    6213
    Liked
    7 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    166
    wow if this works for anyone please let me know

  7. #6
    Rescue Squad
    Member #
    6644
    Liked
    147 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    582
    Quote Originally Posted by fish1552 View Post
    YES, it is possible. I have a tool that might let you do it, and if not, you can use ADB to do it. I found the ADB method on XDA, unrooted my OG Droid and returned to stock and verified it worked. Verified a second time on my MOTO Xoom.

    ROOTED VERSION:
    How to Install Using Root Explorer

    1. Download the boot animation file
    2. Rename to bootanimation.zip
    3. Using Root Explorer, copy bootanimation.zip to /data/local (make sure to rename existing file to bootanimation_bak.zip if there is already one there)


    UNROOTED VERSION:
    How to Install Using ADB

    1. Download the boot animation file
    2. Rename to bootanimation.zip
    3. Copy to your "Tools" folder that contains adb commands
    4. Open Command Prompt and enter the command below


    Code:
    adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local
    (where "bootanimation.zip" is the file name and it is placed in the sdk folder)


    Then to test:
    Code:
    adb shell bootanimation
    To return to the stock boot animation, just remove or rename the .zip in /data/local and the system will default back to the stock one in /system/media provided you have not changed it in there. This is the best way to use BootAnis because if the new one is messed up, you just delete it and the stock stuff stays untouched. No need to stress out and spend time looking for the stock one if it doesn't work. Just delete and you are back in order.


    A member over on XoomForums made a little handy tool to push boot animations to some of the stock/unrooted MOTO tablets, and you might be able to try it too. He does warn it may not work on some HTC or Samsung stock ROMs, but it doesn't hurt to try.

    Try it here: BootAnimPusher.zip
    hmm... interesting... i've tried using adb with out su... but was unable to achieve root access remounting it as such... but i think it could be because i was trying to push to /system/ and not /data/ thanks for tid bit
    We have nothing to fear, but running out of beer


  8. #7
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    116
    Liked
    537 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Savannah area of Coastal Georgia, USA
    Posts
    2,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo Aeternamn View Post
    hmm... interesting... i've tried using adb with out su... but was unable to achieve root access remounting it as such... but i think it could be because i was trying to push to /system/ and not /data/ thanks for tid bit
    Yes, that would be correct. If you push to /system/media, and get the access, it will only be temporary. But pushing to /data/local is permanent. I take when you say remounting, you mean chmod to r/w?

    Quote Originally Posted by tryanchristos View Post
    wow if this works for anyone please let me know
    If you need verification on this, check XDA and other sites. They will confirm it in multiple threads. The link I include below does as well.
    But I *clearly* posted that it worked for me on 2 different devices in my post above:
    Quote Originally Posted by fish1552 View Post
    I found the ADB method on XDA, unrooted my OG Droid and returned to stock and verified it worked. Verified a second time on my MOTO Xoom.
    Quote Originally Posted by techman View Post
    Fish, great tool idea. Do you know where I can find compatible animation files? Or what I can put i the zip file to disable boot animation?
    Thanks
    Here are a few you can use.
    [BOOTANIMATIONS - LINKS & INFO] Galaxy Nexus Custom Boot Animations & Mods [15.04.12] - xda-developers

    I had another thread where someone listed about 5 pages of them, but can't find it right now.

    If you would like to just disable the existing boot animation and not have anything, I could make you a black screen one. Or I could mess up the desc.txt file in one so that it won't play and just go black screen until the OS loads.
    Last edited by fish1552; 04-18-2012 at 08:12 AM.

  9. #8
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    360
    Liked
    1624 times
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, N.Y.
    Posts
    8,613
    Good info fish... Thanks for posting..

    Sent from my flashaholic Nexus..
    thru Tapa2 beta6...
    Guidelines of Conduct for GalaxyNexusForum.com
    "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"




  10. #9
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    26
    Liked
    1124 times
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    psl fla
    Posts
    5,909
    It worked for a lot of people using a non rooted xoom...

  11. #10
    Rescue Squad
    Member #
    6644
    Liked
    147 times
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    582
    Quote Originally Posted by fish1552 View Post
    Yes, that would be correct. If you push to /system/media, and get the access, it will only be temporary. But pushing to /data/local is permanent. I take when you say remounting, you mean chmod to r/w?

    when I say remounting I mean using the command remount... To mount as root user


    "every breath I take is a sign of..."
    We have nothing to fear, but running out of beer


 

 

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Family Guy Boot animation
    By waltassault in forum Galaxy Nexus Hacking & Mods [LTE/CDMA]
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 08:36 AM
  2. N1 boot animation on G-Nex
    By tysoncrosby21 in forum Galaxy Nexus General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-22-2011, 10:20 PM
  3. Boot animation ?
    By tysoncrosby21 in forum Galaxy Nexus Hacking & Mods [LTE/CDMA]
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 08:42 PM

Search tags for this page

android change boot animation without root

,
animation changer non root
,
boot animation android no root
,
boot animation changer no root
,
bootable android no root
,
change android boot logo without root
,

change boot animation android without root

,
galaxy s3 boot animation change without rooting
,

how to change android boot animation without rooting

,
how to change android boot logo without root
,
how to change android boot screen with unrooted phone
,
how to change boot animation android no root
,
how to change boot logo on android(unrooted)
,
how to custom bootanimation no root
,
how to install a boot animation android no root
Click on a term to search for related topics.