Register

Maintenance update

This is a discussion on Maintenance update within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; Today i picked up my Gnex and i saw in the status bar "Update available Galaxy Nexus" OOOOOOOOH! could this be 4.0.5? So, not sure ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Maintenance update

Today i picked up my Gnex and i saw in the status bar "Update available Galaxy Nexus" OOOOOOOOH! could this be 4.0.5? So, not sure how taking an update would affect the phone while being rooted i quickly unrooted and flashed factory image and re locked with Wogs root toolkit (amazing btw). After i was back to stock the update was no longer available! checked settings>about phone>system updates..."your system is currently up to date!" BS! so i called verizon and they redirected me to samsung. the chick at samsung told me it wasnt an ICS update. it was a maintenance update which would fix several issues including something having to do with the front facing camera, the wifi hotspot, the transition speed between 3g and 4g and a few other random fixes...OK! well GIMME! "im sorry sir, they send the updates out in waves. you will have to wait until the next "wave" comes out in a week or 2." NOT ACCEPTABLE! Any ideas? comments? Thanks for any help that will be given.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Milky Way
    Member #
    You should have accepted the update. It would have removed root, then you would just need to wait until a new version of the tool you use is released that re-roots that version. Also, you could have just downloaded OTA rootkeeper, which I have heard saves root when you update.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Twitter
    macpro88
    You could have accepted the update, then pulled it out of /cache/ when it was done downloading, saved it to SD card and flashed it later.

But, all well, you live and learn, now next time you know!

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I happened to be in my VZW store last week, and while speaking to the sales associate I casually asked if he knew when 4.0.5 was going to drop for the GNex. He gave the standard "I don't know but should be soon" response, but then he did say that a "maintenance update" directly from Samsung was imminent and should be pushed to our devices very soon. He didn't really have any more information, just mentioned minor fixes here and there. I left without giving it much thought, but apparently he wasn't blowing smoke

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Twitter
    d1l777
    The update should be to version 4.0.4, 4.0.5 hasn't been released by AOSP yet and I doubt VZW would get it before AOSP even released source for it. We should be getting 4.0.4 with some new radios and stuff that VZW has added in to the 4.0.4 update for little fixes and stuff. Just curious, What ROM where you running when you got the notification?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

PM with any Questions
    GTalk available upon Request

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I was running ICSourcery. Ive been messing around with different ROM's lately. I tried MIUI earlier. But i usually just stick with Gummy .9 REALLY like that one. The reason i didnt accept the update is that i wasnt sure how the update would respond to the phone NOT in stock condition. i know updates are designed to fit onto a certain set of programs. Oh well, now i know. I just think its stupid that they send the updates out in "waves" instead of all at once. Can anyone explain why they do it that way? Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1124 times
    If your rooted NEVER take the ota

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhodge02 View Post
    If your rooted NEVER take the ota

Well, you can, it will just remove your root. Verizon can't flag you for having root access by simply pushing an update to your phone.

Milky Way
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by d1L777 View Post
    The update should be to version 4.0.4, 4.0.5 hasn't been released by AOSP yet and I doubt VZW would get it before AOSP even released source for it. We should be getting 4.0.4 with some new radios and stuff that VZW has added in to the 4.0.4 update for little fixes and stuff. Just curious, What ROM where you running when you got the notification?

that is not accurate at all. we had a 4.0.4 leaked system for this phone months before 4.0.4 source was released.
    will we see 4.0.5? thats the word on the street....but wether that will happen or not is anyones guess. i could see 4.0.5 source drop and we have the update the same/next day.

on a side note, i am not sure why it took them so long to do a maintenance update....giving us some random bug fixes, along with some new radios would have done a LOT for this phone.....i am so sick of hearing about how crappy peoples reception is with this phone. i haven't had any reception problems since running the 4.0.4 radios for the last 2 months.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I still havent received the vzw maintenance update...Reception is truly the only issue i've had with this phone. Could just be the device itself as the .4 radios did not improve anything. Thing is im in a completely 3G area so im not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads