Register

Battery Standby vs Usage

This is a discussion on Battery Standby vs Usage within the Galaxy Nexus General Discussion forums, part of the Galaxy Nexus Forum category; I know there are 1001 threads regarding people being dissatisfied with the nexus' battery life. I'm on my 4th charge cycle with my new phone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Milky Way
    Member #

Battery Standby vs Usage

I know there are 1001 threads regarding people being dissatisfied with the nexus' battery life. I'm on my 4th charge cycle with my new phone and things are definitely looking better....With stock everything I had 40 percent battery left when I hit 20 hours...But this is leaving it in sleep the majority of that time, I would check emails and facebook every couple of hours...Some texting...but all in all pretty light usage...this was at work so it was on the network and not my wifi. When I got home from work I sat down with it and did some web browsing, listening to music, probably for about 1 hour and managed to kill the last 40%...Now...I leave the contrast at 20%, leave GPS and basically everything off...I'm just wondering, it seems I have pretty good standby time, but while using it (albeit heavily), I lose a percent every minute about.

Of course, for the day "died at 21:30", but that's with really light usage, my guess if I were to sit down and use it, (web, music, email) then I would get no more than 3 hours from it...Can anyone share some of their thoughts on this? I know they have regrettable stock batteries, but I'm wondering if possibly this is a dud and I still have a few days to swap it out.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    IMO that's very typical. In fact you are doing all the things to conserve battery life and actual usage times (screen on time) is hard to get more than what you are getting. Just keep in mind that this screen is huge and the CPU is very powerful. Until battery technology catches up it's what we have to work with. That said I love my phone and if I can make it through the day at work I'm fine with it.

Before you flash anything can you get back to stock? How to get back to stock using Odin

Have you backed up your files and pictures? I see too many desperate cries for help recovering deleted priceless pictures with no solution.

Need to hard reset? How to Hard Reset-Factory Data Reset.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Ditto to everything Paul said. You've got a very powerful device in your possession. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine!

Tap'd on my GNex

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    If this were "just a phone," I think we would get a lot of battery life out of it. For instance, my wife's Droid 2 gets plugged in every night, and it routinely has 60% charge remaining. But she only uses it for phone calls and texts. I use WiFi, GPS, NFC etc., however I also use tasker and NFC to control what is on at any given time. So I can get 12-14 hours out of it with much heavier use. If I "dock" it (I know, it is not an official dock, just an iBolt dock with a Motorola charger) to and from work, which is about 20 minutes each way, I will still have 70% left on it after 12 hours. So, in my opinion of one, battery life is fine.

Member #
    Liked
    831 times
    Twitter
    kdog2007
    Ditto to what Paul said. Think about what all is running from the second you turn the screen on. I feel samsung could have put a slightly larger battery in this device but if they did, they couldn't sell extended batteries. IMO the extended samsung battery should have been the stock battery. For everything this device does, I am going to use it. My screen runs 100% all the time, GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, and sync stay on. I do everything from simple text to watching movies and streaming music. Sure I can watch my battery drop about 1% every few mins. But I didn't buy it to see how long I can make the battery last, I bought it to use it. I have used mine pretty heavily today. I have about 8 hours on it and im at 30% battery left. If I left it on standby I could squeeze 10-12 hours easily. So for me, it's not that bad. I just always try to keep a charger near by.
    We make a living by what we get: We make a life by what we give.-author unknown

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    If you are rooted, flash the franco kernal milestone 2. I can get more than 5 hours of screen time with heavy usage(listening to music, watching videos, playing games, browsing, face booking, etc. with light use I can go on for 2 days with the battery. Some people are getting 6 hours of screen time with this kernal and it is very smooth too. Give it a try .

Member #
    Liked
    260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EnIXmA View Post
    If you are rooted, flash the franco kernal milestone 2. I can get more than 5 hours of screen time with heavy usage(listening to music, watching videos, playing games, browsing, face booking, etc. with light use I can go on for 2 days with the battery. Some people are getting 6 hours of screen time with this kernal and it is very smooth too. Give it a try
    Wow! That's with stock battery?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Guidelines of Conduct

~~You can't be on the bleeding edge without a little blood~~

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    yes. stock battery

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Damn, will have to give Franco's new kernel a shot. What ROM?

Also, are you using Auto-Brightness, or custom setting? Juice Defender will help with your screen-off time as well, that was a nice feature of AOKP, the built in power saver

Milky Way
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    running aokp m4. Yes, I have juice defender running all the time and also use auto brightness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads